Freedom for Tooting! And other similar nutty fringe communities

chrisp65

According to the radio this morning, Poots never wanted Foster to be leader in the first place as he believes women’s most important work is running the family home.

I soooo want him to be leader.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

"Hmm, the DUP are a bit too sectarian nowadays, reckon I'll vote Sinn Fein instead"

There seems to be lots of people saying this online. That isn't what Peston is saying

He's saying that the DUP heading back to the right / Stone Age will increase sectarianism AND THAT will push those voters who are currently voting Alliance or some of the other less sectarian parties towards voting for SF. He's not saying that DUP voters will jump to SF voters.

• Like 1

I have no strong feeling about Scottish independence or how well the SNP do, but given that the ****s taking over England will be very upset by them doing well, bring it on. 

SNP have now taken seats from tory and Labour.

I don’t think it’s too much to suggest Independence parties are going to win an overall majority.

I guess at that point we see how much Johnson believes in a voluntary democrat union of equals.

34 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

65 Indy seats required in Scotland, 72 achieved.

Let the fun begin.

I'm sure there is something I'm missing, but the SNP / Green total has been above 65 since the previous election (63 SNP, 6 Green)

If it were just a case of a pro-Independence majority, surely there has been nothing stopping them legislating* for it since 2016?

*to the extent that they can.

6 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I'm sure there is something I'm missing, but the SNP / Green total has been above 65 since the previous election (63 SNP, 6 Green)

If it were just a case of a pro-Independence majority, surely there has been nothing stopping them legislating* for it since 2016?

Wee Jimmy was using this election as a bellwether, it's Wee Jimmy's agenda

(as a complete aside, I just looked up the origins of the word bellwether and to me it's amusingly appropriate)

Forgive my naivety here, but from what I’m seeing the Greens in Scotland are fairly pro independence. Is this the case and if so, any particular reason why? Can’t see the Scots saying we’re going to stop mining North Sea oil in view of them gaining independence 

16 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

As Mr Bicks says, this time, it was explicit that these two parties, if you voted for them, considered it game on to try and get an Indy referendum.

It gives Johnson the task of saying no. When a proper considered look at the figures suggests he should actually say yes as long as it is within the next 12 months.

Similar but lesser, Plaid Cymru, for the first time I can remember, were quite vocal about from now on we want Indy and the price of any coalition would be a date for a referendum. With that front and centre for the first time, they gained an extra seat in an election where more voted than usual. 72% of all votes in Ceredigion were for Indy parties.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

Forgive my naivety here, but from what I’m seeing the Greens in Scotland are fairly pro independence. Is this the case and if so, any particular reason why? Can’t see the Scots saying we’re going to stop mining North Sea oil in view of them gaining independence 

Not fairly pro Indy, explicitly pro Indy.

They have a better chance of pushing their policies through in Scotland than in GB, so they are being pragmatic about being a bigger fish in a smaller pond.

There’s obvious differences with the SNP policies, but they can fight that one out later. They’ve got more chance of influencing Holyrood than Westminster due to Westminster being so broken.

• Thanks 1

It seems the DUP have elected the really batshit crazy Edwin Poots as their new leader. If the situation wasn't so serious I'd be looking forward to fun times ahead

Someone should carbon date a fossil in front of him

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, bickster said:

It seems the DUP have elected the really batshit crazy Edwin Poots as their new leader. If the situation wasn't so serious I'd be looking forward to fun times ahead

I’m slightly disappointed he says someone else will be the frontman, I was looking forward to it.

Fossils were all created on the same day, 4,000 years ago. If you can’t accept that, you’re the problem.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, bickster said:

Weirdly, they've also chosen a deputy leader who's in favour of LGBT rights and abortion, so I don't quite follow how that happened.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 14/05/2021 at 16:46, bickster said:

Fun times didn't take long to arrive.

Edit- and he's resigned. 

Dinosaurs - 165m years

Edwin Poots - four weeks.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Haha 2

Â