Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Think we could see him score 20+ goals this season, and then he’ll need to be taken seriously as a really top striker.

He’s not the most elegant player technically, and his finishing can be wasteful, but he’s very effective and puts in a big shift every week without injury troubles.

Am I the only one who’s also started to see a few signs of him passing and crossing a bit more often when the shot isn’t on? He’s generally very selfish around goal, but I think his awareness has improved.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Am I the only one who’s also started to see a few signs of him passing and crossing a bit more often when the shot isn’t on? He’s generally very selfish around goal, but I think his awareness has improved.

We have a lot more players around him now, in a tactical attack vs just hoping it would happen by chance.

Brilliant news. Ollie’s new contract is yet another huge statement of intent from a club that’s on the up. We’ve tied so many key players down to new long term contracts - a real shift from being resigned to the fact that your top players will move on when one of the Sky 6 come sniffing.

From the top down, the club is in the best shape it’s been for years. Good times. 

Funny how the media spin things.  Before Chelski it was "Watkins hasn't scored stretching back 12 premier league games."  Now he gets an England call up and "Watkins has scored seven goals and had three assists this season."  

God I hate the media.... 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Got to say, he has been an excellent signing (thank you Dean) and has given us such good service so far and I can only see him improving, especially under Unai’s tutelage.

I know this isn't the topic for today, I am massively relieved and happy he's signed, I've got nothing to add to the discussion that others haven't mentioned already. 

Just wanted to pick up on this though, with the benefit of hindsight, what a window that was. 4 major signings that summer in Cash, Martinez, Watkins and Traore that are all still part of the squad to this day and all have starting XI shirt numbers. I know Lange gets critisicm levelled at him but that's the kind of window I'd be buzzing about if I saw Monchi had brought those players in at a previous club. 

Crazy to think he's been here just over 3 years, feels part of the furniture already, can't believe there was a time we weren't playing him up top. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, skarroki said:

I know this isn't the topic for today, I am massively relieved and happy he's signed, I've got nothing to add to the discussion that others haven't mentioned already. 

Just wanted to pick up on this though, with the benefit of hindsight, what a window that was. 4 major signings that summer in Cash, Martinez, Watkins and Traore that are all still part of the squad to this day and all have starting XI shirt numbers. I know Lange gets critisicm levelled at him but that's the kind of window I'd be buzzing about if I saw Monchi had brought those players in at a previous club. 

Crazy to think he's been here just over 3 years, feels part of the furniture already, can't believe there was a time we weren't playing him up top. 

It really was an excellent window and we started that season so strongly, despite lockdown and Covid (unfortunately, that hit the squad hard and caused major disruptions). I’ll always have fond memories of how we played and destroyed some teams back then such as the Liverpool and Arsenal games. Traore was superb and our most entertaining player at the time too, imo at least. Really boosted our attack and showed he was a clear upgrade on our wingers, although El Ghazi and Trez (crucial goals, such a grafter) did make some major contributions despite their deficiencies…

Ollie’s hat trick vs Liverpool was something to behold! As well as the whole game, performance and result 😆 We must never forget!!

i wouldn’t give Lange all the credit though, Watkins was a Deano pick as well as Cash I believe and Cutler was adamant that we should sign Martinez (thank you Neil!).

Many criticise him for the post Grealish window/transfers too… Ings and Bailey… I believe Dean wanted Buendia for a long time and the intention was for him to play alongside Jack..,

Anyway, transfers are difficult and you can’t have a 100% success rate…

I think our most recent window will be looked back on as even better though, we really stepped it up a level or two and that’s thanks to Unai and Monchi. We couldn’t have signed players like Pau and Diaby before, a real sign that we are going places and it’s all thanks to Unai…

Ollie has been a great servant to the club… like I said earlier, we have had stretches of time where we have struggled to find or sign quality or reliable CFs… Ollie solved that problem for us and has largely been crucial for us…

This is major, he’s sticking around and wants to fire us to glory. Most of all, Unai is a fan and the club have put a lot of faith in him… he’s going to get even better.

Players who commit to the club and give us their best years really deserve the support and adoration of us fans… this is a real boost after all the sickening injuries. Now let’s keep winning games and stuff them on Sunday!!!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Think we could see him score 20+ goals this season, and then he’ll need to be taken seriously as a really top striker.

He’s not the most elegant player technically, and his finishing can be wasteful, but he’s very effective and puts in a big shift every week without injury troubles.

I realise he's just scored a prem hat trick so this sounds a bit odd, but in order to do that he really needs to start scoring braces in games. 

Over the last few seasons when he's scored its only been 1 even if we've mauled a side. The Kanes, Salahs and Haalands of this world are regularly bagging 2 goals in games and the odd hat trick which really allows you to get to the juicy numbers. 

I know he’s not perfect and sometimes many of us feel we may be able to get better but… how many PL teams have a better CF who brings as much to the team? As well as his goals…

Not many at all really are there? There’s a real lack of quality and reliable CFs or traditional strikers around these days, regular/reliable goalscorers are so difficult to find and sign… maybe we should appreciate Ollie a lot more… I’m sure he’s been coveted by many sides who would love to have him spearheading their attacks…

-

We have a strong first 11 (excluding injured players which would have made us even better)… even if a few could be improved on, it’s more quality depth that we seem to be lacking atm.

We have some top players. Martinez is world class, Konsa and Pau are going to get better and better, Luiz and Kamara are among the best midfielders in the league, McGinn is turning into a proper captain and leader of the team, Diaby has hit the ground running and could be seen as one of the best attackers/forwards in time, Watkins at CF… can Zaniolo shine? Just needs to get that goal and he will kick on…

What I love is how we are not overly reliant on our individual players and play as a team with goals shared around too, we have style and purpose. Unai has done wonders… the injuries have just been sickening blows and setbacks/disruptions.

With Ollie committed to the club, we have further secured some stability though and he will continue to bang in the goals and become even better under Unai’s guidance - he obviously sees a top class player there or someone he can work with and elevate even further. Unai also has a great record with improving and getting the best out of CFs at previous clubs…

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

I realise he's just scored a prem hat trick so this sounds a bit odd, but in order to do that he really needs to start scoring braces in games. 

Over the last few seasons when he's scored its only been 1 even if we've mauled a side. The Kanes, Salahs and Haalands of this world are regularly bagging 2 goals in games and the odd hat trick which really allows you to get to the juicy numbers. 

I think that’s changing under Unai and Ollie has been advised to focus more on being a CF and goal scorer rather than take up different positions and expend so much energy… we have a much improved side to help him thrive too.. just those bloody injuries! 😡

His full focus will be on us and getting as many goals as possible… he’s going to get plenty of chances with the way we play and the players around him.

As we saw last season, Unai is taking the majority of our players to new heights and elevating their ability and form… we should see that continue but need less disruptions and setbacks!

I can’t help thinking how much better we would be without those missing players… the sooner we can get most of them back fit and firing, the better.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

I wonder whether it is a coincidence that he re-signed with us after being called up to England. Think it is just so so important for players to be called up to national teams to keep them. It is part of why Grealish left us too, (he was being called up but hardly being used) 

This is why I get so annoyed when players like Luiz, Konsa, Diaby, Ramsey etc don't get called up.

There are some on here who think it's beneficial for Villa so they don't get tapped up, or maybe come back injured, or can stay here and work with Unai, whatever the reason.

But I've always been of the belief that, provided they are playing well enough to earn it, that we want our players called up to the national team. It's what the player wants, it adds to their value, it means they can train alongside some of the world's best players, and it increases the profile of Aston Villa too. 

I think Ollie really needs to take his chance with England, provided beaky gives him that chance. Australia is the perfect game for him to start, if he plays well in that game he has an opportunity to cement himself as the number 2 to Kane. Let's be honest it's going to be Kane leading England's attack at the Euros, but Ollie definitely has a chance to overtake Wilson in the pecking order who has never done very much for England IMO, and Toney will be banned until January so it's going to be very hard for him to get back in in just four months. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

I wonder whether it is a coincidence that he re-signed with us after being called up to England. Think it is just so so important for players to be called up to national teams to keep them. It is part of why Grealish left us too, (he was being called up but hardly being used) 

I'd say it's 100% a coincidence. I'd be amazed if this wasn't all agreed and signed before he was called up.

• Like 1

Bet Southgate is gutted he has signed a new deal. He won't get 25 mins a week at Man City now to get 'big game' experience, and listen to the Champions League theme tune. 

54 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I know he’s not perfect and sometimes many of us feel we may be able to get better but… how many PL teams have a better CF who brings as much to the team? As well as his goals…

this is the key thing. if he left tomorrow, who would we be calling for to come in as his replacement? the only possible is awoniyi at forest but i've not seen enough of him to comment in terms of work rate etc and what he does off the ball compared to ollie. he's better than jackson at chelsea, better than both arsenal strikers, better than darwin nunez, and certainly this season he's better than rashford.

yesterday's news is absolutely huge for us

33 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

this is the key thing. if he left tomorrow, who would we be calling for to come in as his replacement? the only possible is awoniyi at forest but i've not seen enough of him to comment in terms of work rate etc and what he does off the ball compared to ollie. he's better than jackson at chelsea, better than both arsenal strikers, better than darwin nunez, and certainly this season he's better than rashford.

yesterday's news is absolutely huge for us

There is no obvious choice or target… it would have to be someone obscure and highly talented, if such a player exists… another Benteke type signing or a starlet and prolific goal scorer from somewhere like South America - our scouting would have to be on point. I would love us to have a really cultured and highly technical finisher…

Maybe Duran is that guy in a few years but for now we have one of the most reliable CFs in the league to be frank really… guaranteed double figures every season? He’s going to get even better I believe… Unai will enhance him further…

It’s difficult to get such a hardworking player too…he brings more than just goals…

We can’t sign the obvious “names” or take them from those clubs so we would need to look for the “next superstars” but the “elite clubs” rarely miss a trick this days either… but there are many clubs who struggle to find a reliable goalscorer too…

I’m surprised Vlahovic is still at Juve but I don’t think he’d go for a club outside of CL either…

Edited by Jas10

Unai has us technically sound, if we were a boxer, Unai has our footwork down, our head movement is terrific, we can jab, counter and move.

Ollie gives us a massive right hand, he's a knockout punch on top of all the technical stuff Unai brings - it's a really good fit.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Unai has us technically sound, if we were a boxer, Unai has our footwork down, our head movement is terrific, we can jab, counter and move.

Ollie gives us a massive right hand, he's a knockout punch on top of all the technical stuff Unai brings - it's a really good fit.

Is that you @TRO😆

• Haha 4

I'm certain if Buendia was fit he'd have bagged a couple more already this season. We've not got anyone threading those balls through the middle right now. Our forwards get stifled when we can't get down the wings. 

I'm sure Unai will sort that and he'll start bagging even more regularly. 

Â