Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

On 02/10/2023 at 08:48, DeadlyDirk said:

Only another 24 goals to go before he matches Gabby's premier league goal tally for us. Hopefully then talksport and the media can stop referring to Gabby as "Aston Villa legend...." 

Overtaken Benteke now and only 2 goals behind Gareth Barry and 7 goals behind Dion Dublin.

On 04/10/2023 at 10:20, Tomaszk said:

Fair enough. Game of opinions.

I'd miss Watkins, definitely don't want him to leave. If he does, it is possible we can replace him with a good player. 

Plucking a few, Alvarez, Hojland, Awoniyi, Gouiri, Boadu, Moffi, Sesko, Openda (twice) and Gyokeres have all moved for less than £30m last few years.

Players are available. You need to just not be stupid and buy players that don't fit your team.

18 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Unai saying that even when Ollie isn't scoring he's really happy with all the other work that he does. I don't know why he'd say that. Doesn't he know that a striker is useless if he's not scoring?

As I've said so many times in this thread, it's precisely this.  Watkins is absolutely perfect for us (and us for him, he's not a top class striker).  The players listed above mostly - from what I've seen - push forward and don't drop deep or into channels to create space elsewhere.  Might be a bit harsh on Gyokeres who seemed to do that a bit with Coventry... but I didn't watch them loads at all (also; he's just not as good as Watkins at all).  Very different types of forward/striker.

I think we probably need a different type of forward to be able to mix things up - and Duran looks like he could be this, in fairness.  But yeah, there aren't many players who can do what Watkins does for us even if there are an abundance of good strikers out there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ornstein says he has made England squad. Well deserved and let's hope he takes his chance if Southgate actually plays him.

I'm guessing no place for Konsa though and Slabhead probably taking up a space again. Ramsey's injury troubles probably ruled him out.

Edited by Leeroy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Southgates just said you have to be careful with recency bias with goal scoring form when selecting players talking about Ollie. Why’s Nketiah there? 

Yeah, let's just forget all the goals Ollie has scored over the last few seasons.

I hate Southgate so much, the shit he talks is ridiculous. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

"Callum Wilson is carrying an injury and we were not certain he would be available.

"Ollie has started the season well - he's hit a bit of scoring form in the last couple of weeks. You have to be careful with that because you can't just go on recency bias with selection.

Quotes from Southgate from the BBC feed. 

Great way to speak highly of your striker and really build confidence. 

Recency bias when he's been one of the top English scorers for 3 years now 😂😂😂

10 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

"Callum Wilson is carrying an injury and we were not certain he would be available.

"Ollie has started the season well - he's hit a bit of scoring form in the last couple of weeks. You have to be careful with that because you can't just go on recency bias with selection.

And yet previously said he'll pick players on current form.  Make your mind up you tool!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It's almost like he's expecting there to be a backlash for picking him and getting his excuses in early. What an absolute prick he is.

Good for Ollie that he's in, but shame he'll be playing for the fraud that is Southgate. I assume Emery has told him to ignore everything Gareth tells him.

Â