Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

He’s scored 40 premier league goals in 119 appearances. That figure should be higher and if it was he’d be hot property, but that’s a decent strike rate and his overall play also adds to his game. 

If it was higher he wouldn't be playing for us. If it was 60 goals for instance, 20 a year, with the rest of his play he'd be what the 5th best striker in Europe behind Haaland, Mbappe, Lewa and Kane.

People ask for too much. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

OK so here's my thoughts: I love Ollie, he works hard and contributes a lot to our all round game. However:

He's not very good at 1 on 1s, his finishing is suspect, he struggles or gets confused to make the right runs when there are players alongside him. He's not really an instinctive striker in the box.

Like I say, he has a lot of great qualities, but these things frustrate me. I still love him and want him in the team / squad.

All the other stuff has dried up though. That's much more my concern than his goalscoring. He's always been like this in front of goal, it's what he is.

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Our best penalty taker in several decades was a midfielder

image.jpeg.07c6f7366128d88b5c5be4e6ab368f42.jpeg I have to say Douglas is looking good though. Ollie sadly, looks like he couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo just now. :(

19 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

OK so here's my thoughts: I love Ollie, he works hard and contributes a lot to our all round game. However:

He's not very good at 1 on 1s, his finishing is suspect, he struggles or gets confused to make the right runs when there are players alongside him. He's not really an instinctive striker in the box.

Like I say, he has a lot of great qualities, but these things frustrate me. I still love him and want him in the team / squad.

That's spot on. He cant regularly place the ball on the corner of the goals when he goes through one on one. And that's perfectly reflected in the penalty taking issue/conversation. 

It doesnt mean he isnt an effective striker or attacker as he will still get goals.

Those who want him replaced... By who?

I still think the market is shite right now, there aren't any good strikers about, vlahovic at juve is beyond us imo and I'm looking at the likes of muani at Frankfurt not really scoring more than Ollie and getting 100m€ transfers

Add to that utd don't have a proper out and out striker, arguably neither do arsenal or Chelsea, Brighton started Danny welbeck yesterday, spurs start with son at their main striker... If there was a very obvious top quality striker available at a decent price it wouldn't just be us shopping for him

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Those who want him replaced... By who?

I still think the market is shite right now, there aren't any good strikers about, vlahovic at juve is beyond us imo and I'm looking at the likes of muani at Frankfurt not really scoring more than Ollie and getting 100m€ transfers

Add to that utd don't have a proper out and out striker, arguably neither do arsenal or Chelsea, Brighton started Danny welbeck yesterday, spurs start with son at their main striker... If there was a very obvious top quality striker available at a decent price it wouldn't just be us shopping for him

Vlahovic at Juve is beneath us. He's an average finisher who does nothing else other than be a target man in the box. He'd be a massive downgrade on ollie. 

1 hour ago, John said:

image.jpeg.07c6f7366128d88b5c5be4e6ab368f42.jpeg I have to say Douglas is looking good though. Ollie sadly, looks like he couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo just now. :(

I think he was talking about Barry or maybe Milner not Dougie......yet 😉

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Do you think he’s having a good season?

He's having an acceptable season. Yeah I'd love for him to have 3 goals, but he's got 2 assists and won 2 penalties. His overall play hasn't quite been to the standards it has in years past but it's also not been bad. Do I think he will improve? Hell yes, because eventually he will start scoring. 

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

Vlahovic at Juve is beneath us. He's an average finisher who does nothing else other than be a target man in the box. He'd be a massive downgrade on ollie. 

93 goals in 230 games is not an average finisher 😂

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

And I'd add that I think that Liverpools Nunez has similar strengths and weaknesses at Ollie, he missed a great chance yesterday and often takes weird bad touches at key times

He was a snip at £82m

I love Ollie, but i won't lie, Nunez is definitely a better footballer than him imo.

15 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

He's having an acceptable season. Yeah I'd love for him to have 3 goals, but he's got 2 assists and won 2 penalties. His overall play hasn't quite been to the standards it has in years past but it's also not been bad. Do I think he will improve? Hell yes, because eventually he will start scoring. 

Fair enough. Personally I think he’s been one of our poorer performers. Really like Watkins FWIW. 

I think it’s harder for him at moment, with diaby sort of next to him it takes a large part away from Ollie - the part he is exceptional at, running the channels and chasing down anything.  With Diaby and now Torres passing we aren’t doing that (Mings ball into channels), and when we do we are looking for diaby through middle.  We are getting goals from different areas, so it’s not all bad.

A lot of the times his runs are the same as others, but that’s al about the training ground.

I feel once JJ is back we will start seeing Olly score more at a better strike rate. I don’t think putting Duran in will mean more goals, we played different yesterday as we were pushing.

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I love Ollie, but i won't lie, Nunez is definitely a better footballer than him imo.

I think he'll be better than Ollie but I see the same things in them, great engine, full of running, occupies a defence and pulls them apart, don't shirk the physical side, capable of great finishing... Not going to get 20+ goals a season, miss great chances, have a poor first touch

The difference is one cost £50m more than the other

• Like 1

5 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Honestly, as long as we’ve had a good season and scored goals from all over the team (like we have been doing), I’d be fine with that return. 

Who’s stats are they by the way?

Good answer, because it's Bobby Firmino in one of the greatest attacking sides this league has ever seen.

Meanwhile, here's Ollie Watkins last season, managed by Gerrard and/or Aaron Danks for 1/3 of it mind you.

IMG-20230917-043902.jpg

Point here being, stats don't give the full picture. I reckon Jürgen Klopp was quite happy with Firmino and what he brought to the team beyond just his own personal goals.

I would guess Unai is the same way with Watkins currently. I'm no football expert or anything, but he appears very crucial to the way we play, and the way we play has been leading to many goals. I'm personally not too fussed over whether they were scored by Watkins or not.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Zatman said:

93 goals in 230 games is not an average finisher 😂

It isn't good either when you consider the teams he's played for. He doesn't offer anything outside of his goal scoring either so it's not like you are getting different results either. 

Â