Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

22 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Hmmm excellent is a stretch, and that's only been in patches. One goal in his last 11 league games now (the tap in VS Brighton which was down to Ramsey's great running), and his poor passing/technique is almost always present. I don't criticise him for the sake of it, I grow frustrated when I see moves break down because of him.

He has 16 goals and 6 assists in 35 appearances under Emery. If he's not scoring or assisting, his harrying of defenders and hold up play is usually very valuable to the team. That's why he was so bad today, he didn't even do that. He's not Harry Kane, but even within his limitations he is very good for us. I don't think passing is something he can really improve at this point. His finishing and first touch have undoubtedly improved under Emery and still can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

That's the one flaw I think will continue to be a problem as season goes on unless he can step up...Diaby's passing and speed of thought is really too quick for him.

Next step will be to buy a CF on Diaby's wavelength which won't be easy.

Zaniolo looks like he could do that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

He needs pressure on him to perform and at the moment as nothing.

Exactly.

He knows he will be on team sheet no mattee what so can have a stinker and knows he is safe for palace. Ridiculous we havent bought in proper competition in this window 

4 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

He needs pressure on him to perform and at the moment as nothing.

when we did that with Ings , he kinda got worse  

He's a mid table level striker  and we have higher aspirations ... however so do a lot of world class strikers , which is why we still have Watkins 

Maybe in Jan we can finally get one that can trap a ball and hold it up and relieve the pressure on the defence  ...

maybe in a few games time we will find Zaniolo can do that and Watkins can go out and play the Bailey role , he's the fittest player in the squad so giving him a role that lets him see more of the ball might work for him 

16 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

That’s what happens when you have little to no competition for your place.

People keep going on about this or that he needs someone to push him. That's irrelevant, it's not going to make him better. He is what he is, doesn't matter who we have behind him or in front of him in the pecking order. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, villa89 said:

People keep going on about this or that he needs someone to push him. That's irrelevant, it's not going to make him better. He is what he is, doesn't matter who we have behind him or in front of him in the pecking order. 

It's such a nonsensical throwaway concept 

48 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

maybe in a few games time we will find Zaniolo can do that and Watkins can go out and play the Bailey role

He's never played up front. Italian guy on a Villa podcast said his best position is not left or right but number 10 behind the striker. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Risso said:

One goal in eleven now. To be honest it annoyed me when he gave that interview about being pleased when Ings was sold. He's not good enough to have such a high opinion of himself and I hope his comments didn't filter through into the summer transfer activity.

When did he say he was pleased that Ings was sold? (Genuine question)

33 minutes ago, villa89 said:

My response was to the original poster saying that Watkins is 99% likely to start against Palace.

This isn't about Watkins being pushed to improve, we know he's inconsistent. Sometimes he's amazing, sometimes he can be frustrating.

My point is that Watkins is 99% likely to start against Palace because we only have Duran as a backup striker option. We could have done with someone a bit more experienced to come in and support.

Maybe that would have taken some pressure off of Watkins when he's having a dry spell.

To be honest, I think posting with frustration is never a good idea, and I probably shouldn't have popped anything on here yesterday given how annoyed I was at the overall performance.

Having backup strikers of equal level is immensely difficult.

Even at a club like Man City. 

Gabriel Jesus wanted to leave. You can't keep them happy if they're not playing.

You can do it while they're very young but at some point they will expect more. And if they are not getting it they will elsewhere.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

We could have done with someone a bit more experienced to come in and support.

Like signing a back up goal keeper. Hey decent striker please come in and be on bench if Watkins has a bad spell you can come on. Maybe Emery doesn't want this. 

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

when we did that with Ings , he kinda got worse 

He's a mid table level striker  and we have higher aspirations ... however so do a lot of world class strikers , which is why we still have Watkins 

Maybe in Jan we can finally get one that can trap a ball and hold it up and relieve the pressure on the defence  ...

maybe in a few games time we will find Zaniolo can do that and Watkins can go out and play the Bailey role , he's the fittest player in the squad so giving him a role that lets him see more of the ball might work for him 

Bigger problem... There aren't enough world class striker knocking about right now

Arsenal started with nkeitah this weekend, utd with martial, spurs with son (who's quality obviously but not a 9) Brighton with a youngster who should come good, Chelsea don't have a proper out and out striker

even Liverpool with Nunez for £80m which again good player but that's eye watering money for him

Its so easy to say we need a better striker but so do half the league, including teams better than us

• Like 4

Â