Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

On 02/05/2023 at 10:15, rodders0223 said:

As a new father to a 3 month old still doing the feeds from 2am I do wonder if PL footballers are actually doing this to be honest.

We can all be a zombie at work for a few months and muddle through but you can't really as an elite level sportsman.

I totally agree, I often think that. But I suppose they can afford nannies and day care and night servants… so maybe it isn’t as bad for them!?

It feels like his form has dropped off the edge of a cliff. In terms of goals it has . And by one metric he really has 

Whoscored.. 7 74 average over the 10 games up to Newcastle. 

6.3 in the 4 games since. 

Chop his cock off. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, PaulC said:

Maybe he's dipped a bit or maybe teams have worked out if you stop Watkins you stop Villa 

Tbh in a few of those games he has hardly seen the ball.

Watkins is not clinical enough to be a premiership top striker, he still need few chances to put away one.. Now that teams are defending deep against us a Europe chasing team, chances will be far and few between. He had one big chance and headed straight at their keeper, where else Kane put it in the corner. 

• Like 1

Back to being inconsistent 

Another reason why we need anothee good striker. Competition for places is key so when pllie plays as shit as he has today he is danger of being dropped. How many crap performancers does kane put in? Even when spurs are bad he still performs or will have 1 bad in 10.ollie will have 3 or 4 bad in a row

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Back to being inconsistent 

Another reason why we need anothee good striker. Competition for places is key so when pllie plays as shit as he has today he is danger of being dropped. How many crap performancers does kane put in? Even when spurs are bad he still performs or will have 1 bad in 10.ollie will have 3 or 4 bad in a row

Agreed and I don’t mind him having inconsistency occasionally because when he’s good, he’s really good but he does have spells both in runs and sometimes during games that we need another striker to compete with him, a different option, to push him and to make sure that the team isn’t impacted when he goes through his patches.  Our first XI is good but we do need better around the team and in positions like Ollie where he is the main striker we need quality options to cover periods like now.

50 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Agreed and I don’t mind him having inconsistency occasionally because when he’s good, he’s really good but he does have spells both in runs and sometimes during games that we need another striker to compete with him, a different option, to push him and to make sure that the team isn’t impacted when he goes through his patches.  Our first XI is good but we do need better around the team and in positions like Ollie where he is the main striker we need quality options to cover periods like now.

Yep for sure. No matter how bad he plays emery isnt going to drop him for duran that's not going to happen.

Now if you have a tammy or vlahovic pushing him he wont get away with having 3-4 poor games.  Ollie misses so many chances

• Like 1

I don’t know if it’s the new born or he’s let the hype get to his head but he’s been pretty abject since he tore Newcastle apart and was being lauded as one of the best in the division. 

Either way it needs sorting out, he’s just not pressing or challenging for the ball in the same way, he needs that intensity in order to prevail, he’s not good enough to play at 80% and still be effective.

Sure Ollie has dropped off a bit in these last 4 games, but so has the rest of the team. If he was missing a hatful of chances, or the rest of the team bar him was performing to a high standard then I’d be concerned, but we’re not creating a great deal for him currently.

• Like 2

He has many strengths. 'Box' play isn't a big strength of his. Buendia had the ball on the edge of the area so many times yesterday, where was Ollie offering a linkup option? I can barely remember him touching the ball.

13 hours ago, Digavilla said:

Watkins is not clinical enough to be a premiership top striker, he still need few chances to put away one.. Now that teams are defending deep against us a Europe chasing team, chances will be far and few between. He had one big chance and headed straight at their keeper, where else Kane put it in the corner. 

Yes I would agree with you. Ollie is improving of this there is little doubt, however in my view he has a ceiling and like you I don’t feel it’s that of an elite striker.

He was never going to keep the scoring run going - so I am not overly concerned.

He is getting better, and for now I’ll take this.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Sigh. I hope this is a blip and we have turned a corner with him rather than the other way around. 

I think he needs a better supporting cast than Buendia and Bailey tbh. 

Needs to get back to running around and chasing everything.

Him just staying up now adds nothing to the team and it's like playing with 10 men.

3 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Needs to get back to running around and chasing everything.

Him just staying up now adds nothing to the team and it's like playing with 10 men.

But when he was running around and chasing everything he wasn’t as effective goal scoring wise than when Emery made him stay centrally.  He started drifting wide too much against Wolves and was ineffective or nonexistent in front of goal.  Emery was right to make him stay centrally.  He just needs to make himself more of a presence/pest in central areas when he’s not scoring.

Edited by nick76

Just now, nick76 said:

But when he was running around and chasing everything he wasn’t as effective goal scoring wise than when Emery made him stay centrally.  He started drifting wide too much against Wolves and was ineffective or nonexistent in front of goal.  Emery was right to make him stay centrally.

It doesn't matter who scores the goals as long as we get the goals.

Â