Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 hours ago, osmark86 said:

Firing on all cylinders right now. 5 in 5 is absolutely incredible! In Ollie we trust!

Quite surprised it hasn't happened before in the PL era for us.  We've had some decent players!

• Like 1

On 26/02/2023 at 00:10, birdman said:

On this form should be considered for England trouble being Fraudgate.

He has already scored 2 goals for England already, which most people have forgotten. I would have him above Wilson and Toney in the selection. Though just as well he isn't as if started to play regularly for England he would probably move.

• Like 1

Did Danny Ing's arrival mentally effect him, to the point he needs to feel unthreatened in the team to produce his best? Does this make him mentally weak when challenged or is his turnaround in performances and results coincidental? 

I personally don't think his turnaround is coincidental, and I do think the Ing's departure has mentally relieved him of pressure somewhat. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Did Danny Ing's arrival mentally effect him, to the point he needs to feel unthreatened in the team to produce his best? Does this make him mentally weak when challenged or is his turnaround in performances and results coincidental? 

I personally don't think his turnaround is coincidental, and I do think the Ing's departure has mentally relieved him of pressure somewhat. 

Maybe he was pissed that he's as effective as (if not more so than) Ings, works 50 times harder yet was paid markedly less....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jimmygreaves said:

Maybe he was pissed that he's as effective as (if not more so than) Ings, works 50 times harder yet was paid markedly less....

And that the majority of his time playing alongside Ings was under Gerrard.

Even the few games he played before Gerrard arrived was Dean trying to shoehorn an Ings into his system and it didn't work.

More likely that he's simply got a manager that understands him and knows how to motivate players, and isn't forcing roles to fit players in.  He's training the players to fit his roles, and Watkins innately fits the role he wants him to play already, and has the brain to understand the instructions he's given. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

Sorry but personally I’m not allowing myself to get too carried away just yet.

it’s brilliant to see Ollie in such fine form but I can’t forgot so quickly that he has been poor for longer than he has been good.

I’d be quite worried if there was a grain of truth in the ings theory - I think it’s down to better coaching.

I’ll just wait a little while longer - if Ollie is still performing like this at the end of the season then I would say it’s much more than a good patch of form 

• Like 2

I definately think the Ings signing set him back and neither Smith or Gerrard got much out of him last season but he did get 11league  goals which is not bad for a poor season. Ive always rated him. I think hes the most important player in our team. God help us if he gets injured. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

Sorry but personally I’m not allowing myself to get too carried away just yet.

it’s brilliant to see Ollie in such fine form but I can’t forgot so quickly that he has been poor for longer than he has been good.

I’d be quite worried if there was a grain of truth in the ings theory - I think it’s down to better coaching.

I’ll just wait a little while longer - if Ollie is still performing like this at the end of the season then I would say it’s much more than a good patch of form 

He hasnt been poor for longer than he was good

His poor season he got 11 league goals

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He hasnt been poor for longer than he was good

His poor season he got 11 league goals

I think you’ll find he has been. His first season apart I’m afraid he has been distinctly bang average.  You might think 11 goals is ok - it’s bang average for me.

But anyhow I was not intending to have a go at Ollie - I am impressed with his upturn since UE arrived, I am just holding back slightly in making any new found judgements for a while longer.

16 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

I think you’ll find he has been. His first season apart I’m afraid he has been distinctly bang average.  You might think 11 goals is ok - it’s bang average for me.

But anyhow I was not intending to have a go at Ollie - I am impressed with his upturn since UE arrived, I am just holding back slightly in making any new found judgements for a while longer.

we are a very average football club and 11 goals is good for a team of our level especially with no penalties last season

Only 2 other Villa players have scored double figures in the Premier League for us since 2010 and thats Benteke and El Ghazi and Watkins is on to do it 3 years in a row

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

we are a very average football club and 11 goals is good for a team of our level especially with no penalties last season

Only 2 other Villa players have scored double figures in the Premier League for us since 2010 and thats Benteke and El Ghazi and Watkins is on to do it 3 years in a row

Look I think this is likely to go around in circles tbh with you.

I have no reason to knock Ollie at the moment - it’s great for all concerned and hopefully it continues - but regardless 11 goals in a season is an average return imo and Ollie has been very very average - you only have to scan this thread to see for yourself just what many have been thinking  about his performances for some time.

Like I said I am just reserving judgement for a while longer 

27 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

Statistically, it's anything but bang average.

5 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

He could score 25 in this team and still be considered bang average , Emery getting a tune out of him give the guy I break . 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Now with respect this is just a bit silly. No one would ever call 25 goals bang average come on. 
Although I totally agree UE is getting a tune out of Ollie 

Â