Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, SeanVilla said:

This 15-20 goals gets mentioned a fair bit almost as baseline for a decent prem striker. Which is a bit harsh considering only Mane, Ronaldo, Salah, Kane and Son got more than 15 goals last year. 

I only meant he was capable, any striker banging in double figures every season is more than decent imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, av1 said:

Probably sounds like a silly thing to say about a striker, but I’d argue that his control is more of a problem than his finishing. So many chances are made difficult or break down because of his poor control. 

If he can work on that he will be much better for it. 

He also struggles to spot obvious runs. I do agree though, half the time the chance has gone, or is a lot more difficult because of an awful touch before he has to hit it.

2 hours ago, av1 said:

Probably sounds like a silly thing to say about a striker, but I’d argue that his control is more of a problem than his finishing. So many chances are made difficult or break down because of his poor control. 

If he can work on that he will be much better for it. 

Also his lack of a footballing brain (as in he cant pick out a pass when it is needed, doesn't see the runs etc)

Cant fault his work rate as others have said, but he is very wasteful, is touch and control are as good as mine, and i have 2 left feet!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Also his lack of a footballing brain (as in he cant pick out a pass when it is needed, doesn't see the runs etc)

Cant fault his work rate as others have said, but he is very wasteful, is touch and control are as good as mine, and i have 2 left feet!

Yeah, his lack of a footballing brain will just always hold him/us back IMO. It's frightening the lack of footballing IQ he has.

• Like 1

I'm disappointed with all the jokes about Ollie in the Emery thread. 

He's been dog awful lately but then so have nearly all of our players. 

I suspect he's been hit harder than most by the Gerrard coaching vacuum. 

He scored 14 league goals only a couple of years ago and we were all expecting an improvement. 

I'm sure Emery can get him back amongst the goals again, he proved he can do it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I'm disappointed with all the jokes about Ollie in the Emery thread. 

He's been dog awful lately but then so have nearly all of our players. 

I suspect he's been hit harder than most by the Gerrard coaching vacuum. 

He scored 14 league goals only a couple of years ago and we were all expecting an improvement. 

I'm sure Emery can get him back amongst the goals again, he proved he can do it. 

Probably a bit harsh on him but people are missing the point. Even when he scored 14, his all-round game was still poor. I pointed it out at the time on here and got pelters. But there were times when Grealish was having to delay passes while Ollie realised which run he was supposed to be making. That's what people are criticising, and he hasn't improved on his all-round game as he lacks the footballing intelligence and technique to do so. Sadly he's a very limited player. Can he be useful? Yes, he does have certain attributes, but he will always frustrate unfortunately.

Edited by Tom13
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

Blows my mind that "workrate" can still be used to differentiate between players.

Maximum effort should be the default setting and criteria such as ability, form or tactical suitablility should be the differentiator for a manager when choosing his team

Dudes are getting paid £50k pw + to have a career that millions have tried and failed to reach. And yet we praise someone for working hard for the 90 minutes that we see them at work. Pathetic stuff really 

Workrate is not just a matter of effort, it's also affected by work capacity. Say whatever else you want about him, Ollie has lungs of steel.

12 minutes ago, TomC said:

Workrate is not just a matter of effort, it's also affected by work capacity. Say whatever else you want about him, Ollie has lungs of steel.

He does tbf, maybe he'd be better off on Celebrity SAS 😜

Joking.

Managers will almost always pick him despite his weaknesses. It is the manager's remit to get the team enough chances to counter-act Ollie's lack of natural finishing ability, but his work rate - hold up play - speed/strength combo will keep him in the side until those qualities eventually go.

Â