Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Just now, BOF said:

Ollie has not become a bad player overnight and has 27 goals in the previous 2 seasons so he's not just an Emile Heskey hard working striker. I would expect he'll be one of the biggest improvements early doors.

Problem is, even in his first season in a much better attack, he was frustrating to watch.

Just now, Tom13 said:

Problem is, even in his first season in a much better attack, he was frustrating to watch.

True to an extent. We know he's not a natural finisher so that can be frustrating, but that was a 16 goal PL-debut season. That's a good return in anyone's book. Well anyone except Haaland :P 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

How many did he get the year before?

When his XG was still really bad compared to Watkins

Watkins is statistically a better finisher than Tammy. Tammy just gets a bucketload more chances because he plays in a better midfield

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

When his XG was still really bad compared to Watkins

Watkins is statistically a better finisher than Tammy. Tammy just gets a bucketload more chances because he plays in a better midfield

If i was a betting man i reckon tammy would have scored more than two league goals for all the chances watkins has missed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If i was a betting man i reckon tammy would have scored more than two league goals for all the chances watkins has missed.

Except Watkins league XG this season is 5 and Tammy is 7 and both have 2 goals

So no

17 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Except Watkins league XG this season is 5 and Tammy is 7 and both have 2 goals

So no

Its just a opinion i have. Tammy would thrive in this team with these players and manager.

Im hoping watkins can now. If he is still as shit as he has been under emery then he has to be sold either January or the summer

Emery will love his work ethic, and Ollie with his confidence back is a more than decent striker, yes he will miss loads but he's capable of a 15-20 season regardless. 

Stevie G ball crucified a man who was already struggling for form, and when he did get chances he blew them. 

There is a part of it that is still on him, but he's a hard worker, a larger part of his problem was out of his control.

I think he can thrive under the new manager.

• Like 1

Blows my mind that "workrate" can still be used to differentiate between players.

Maximum effort should be the default setting and criteria such as ability, form or tactical suitablility should be the differentiator for a manager when choosing his team

Dudes are getting paid £50k pw + to have a career that millions have tried and failed to reach. And yet we praise someone for working hard for the 90 minutes that we see them at work. Pathetic stuff really 

• Like 1

Probably sounds like a silly thing to say about a striker, but I’d argue that his control is more of a problem than his finishing. So many chances are made difficult or break down because of his poor control. 

If he can work on that he will be much better for it. 

Just now, TheMelvillan said:

Blows my mind that "workrate" can still be used to differentiate between players.

Maximum effort should be the default setting and criteria such as ability, form or tactical suitablility should be the differentiator for a manager when choosing his team

Dudes are getting paid £50k pw + to have a career that millions have tried and failed to reach. And yet we praise someone for working hard for the 90 minutes that we see them at work. Pathetic stuff really 

Not sure about than. What about the hundreds of players in the league than don’t work as hard? 

It’s more pathetic that most players, many of whom earn 2/3 times what Ollie does do not work as hard. 

1 minute ago, TheMelvillan said:

agree and disagree

work rate is one thing but then having an engine and being able to run all day is something different, Ollie can run all day operating either channel and stretching defence Ings cant, doesn't mean one is working harder than the other, id also say that mcginns work rate is great but his efficiency with it isn't, he's almost like a busy fool at times but all of that is where the performance monitoring comes it to it, they have metrics for work rate and efficiency 

agree with @av1 too, a lot of his poor finishing such as the chance or maybe 2 chances vs leeds are actually due to a poor first touch which benefits the keeper more than it benefits him, he creates bad angles for himself 

15 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Emery will love his work ethic, and Ollie with his confidence back is a more than decent striker, yes he will miss loads but he's capable of a 15-20 season regardless. 

Stevie G ball crucified a man who was already struggling for form, and when he did get chances he blew them. 

There is a part of it that is still on him, but he's a hard worker, a larger part of his problem was out of his control.

I think he can thrive under the new manager.

This 15-20 goals gets mentioned a fair bit almost as baseline for a decent prem striker. Which is a bit harsh considering only Mane, Ronaldo, Salah, Kane and Son got more than 15 goals last year. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SeanVilla said:

This 15-20 goals gets mentioned a fair bit almost as baseline for a decent prem striker. Which is a bit harsh considering only Mane, Ronaldo, Salah, Kane and Son got more than 15 goals last year. 

Watkins got 11 last season without penalties so he wasnt that far off

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Still, one of the most important things to have in a team.....but not just as simple as that.

You have to work smart, you can run aimlessly around the pitch and some will mark that down, as working hard....its not, in my book, aimless running, is hiding for me.

I take running as a pre-requisite, as you say, a given....working hard for me, it making it as difficult as possible for the opposition to function, and ecking out opportunities, to punish them.

Ollie for me, runs around a lot, but doesn't necessarily work smart, and he doesn't attack the ball, he is reactive, as opposed to proactive.

1 hour ago, av1 said:

Probably sounds like a silly thing to say about a striker, but I’d argue that his control is more of a problem than his finishing. So many chances are made difficult or break down because of his poor control. 

If he can work on that he will be much better for it. 

Someone else has said it but wonder if that is a result of Ollie coming up through the leagues, playing at a physical but less technically demanding level. Different to other players who maybe have come through the academies. 

Â