Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

I've told you there what you can expect from Ollie Watkins. A goal every 3 or 4 games, which means him missing more one on ones than scoring them. That's what he is. Want a higher conversion rate, pay more than £30mil for a striker.

The bulk of our players are of a similar standard now. We are crying out for one or two top premier league players in my opinion, which might move us on to the next level.

How much did brentford pay for toney?

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ollie is better than Toney, Ollie had a good season last year and scored 14, he's on 8 in the league this season and I believe he'll get close to that again.

The days of the 20 goal a season striker are rare and other than Kane, not many hit those type of numbers, most are mild inflated by pens, including Toney.

Can we improve on him, of course, but I'm not sure who, that is realistic. He's barely had any service all season, yes he misses chances, but what striker doesn't.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Should we have signed Toney last season from League One and have him and Wesley and Samatta as our strikers last season?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, useless said:

22 goals and 6 assists in 64 Premier League appearances. Apparently of the players who've played 60 or more times for us only Benteke has a better goals to games ratio in the Premier Leaue era, which is why I'm puzzled when so many are so readdy to sell him, especially for little more than we paid for him, it's not as if it's been easy for us to come across a striker this good at this level in the first place, now we've finally got one who's decent at this level need to hang onto him.

I think we will actually spend big on another forward in the summer, maybe someone like Jonathan David or similar, but that doesn't mean to say Watkins has to be sold or that he isn't good enough.

I wouldn’t sell him for Johnathan David, I’d happily swap him for Abraham though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Should we have signed Toney last season from League One and have him and Wesley and Samatta as our strikers last season?

The point was you have to spend over 30m to geta  goal scorer when you dont always have to as shoen with toney

14 hours ago, VillaJay said:

Ollie is better than Toney, Ollie had a good season last year and scored 14, he's on 8 in the league this season and I believe he'll get close to that again.

The days of the 20 goal a season striker are rare and other than Kane, not many hit those type of numbers, most are mild inflated by pens, including Toney.

Can we improve on him, of course, but I'm not sure who, that is realistic. He's barely had any service all season, yes he misses chances, but what striker doesn't.

Its true we have never had one in the premier league. Dont think Michael Owen ever got 20 league goals in a season. Watkins is not far off Agbonlahors total in his pomp for the season. 

On 04/04/2022 at 07:05, Demitri_C said:

The point was you have to spend over 30m to geta  goal scorer when you dont always have to as shoen with toney

You've also got to create the chances for them. I'm not saying that Watkins is playing fantastically well at the moment but when he receives the ball, he is often isolated.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

You've also got to create the chances for them. I'm not saying that Watkins is playing fantastically well at the moment but when he receives the ball, he is often isolated.

A lot of his recent big chances have been long balls for him to chase

20 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

I think his pressing this year has been poor and the chances he does get have bene very lazy/cant be arsed finishes when he constantly shoots directly at the defender. I mean even i could do that.

Im not sure if he is good enough to take us next level. Ings has been given less starts and i think he would have scored those opportunities 

On 05/04/2022 at 10:12, Demitri_C said:

I think his pressing this year has been poor and the chances he does get have bene very lazy/cant be arsed finishes when he constantly shoots directly at the defender. I mean even i could do that.

Ollie hasn’t been great this season but it must be said: him not pressing high is because Gerrard is telling him not to. Villa don’t press high in this system, it’s a tactical choice and possibly a stupid one, but not Ollie’s fault.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Ollie hasn’t been great this season but it must be said: him not pressing high is because Gerrard is telling him not to. Villa don’t press high in this system, it’s a tactical choice and possibly a stupid one, but not Ollie’s fault.

Yes. It's all about getting back into shape and letting the opposition have the ball in defence. I think it's a ridiculous way to play when you have possibly the best pressing forward in the league, but it is the chosen one. 

On 03/04/2022 at 21:49, VillaJay said:

If he could control a ball and spot and execute simple passes, he wouldn't be as infuriating to watch.

Even in his good season, I remember one game, two goals came from him miscontrolling it on the halfway line.

The past few weeks posters on here have pointed out that Watkins is too slow, lazy, doesnt press, doesnt celebrate goals, cant hold up the ball, cant pass, looks miserable, poor technique, dismal first touch and is a poor finisher. Im sure i missed a few out. No wonder fans want to get rid of him.

Edited by Chicken Field

1 minute ago, Chicken Field said:

The past few weeks posters on here have pointed out that Watkins is too slow, lazy, doesnt press, doesnt celebrate goals, cant hold up the ball, cant pass, looks miserable, poor technique and is a poor finisher. Im sure i missed a few out. No wonder fans want to get rid of him.

Which ones do you disagree with? He's certainly not too slow. He can be lazy, but we know generally he's a hard worker.

His finishing is average, technique and passing is poor.

5 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

The past few weeks posters on here have pointed out that Watkins is too slow, lazy, doesnt press, doesnt celebrate goals, cant hold up the ball, cant pass, looks miserable, poor technique, dismal first touch and is a poor finisher. Im sure i missed a few out. No wonder fans want to get rid of him.

If you told me at the end of last season these would be the comments I would’ve laughed but a lot of those comments are pretty spot on for various games this season unfortunately.  

The worse part is that some of these will be likely said tomorrow night after the game, well far more likely than really positive comments about him.  Nobody can see into the future but if I was a betting man I bet I wasn’t far wrong which is horrifying pregame for me, that after the season so far I don’t expect much from him.  Hopefully if he does have a poor game he at least scores.  Fingers crossed he plays well and scores.

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

Which ones do you disagree with? He's certainly not too slow. He can be lazy, but we know generally he's a hard worker.

His finishing is average, technique and passing is poor.

I think people greatly underestimate how much difference confidence can effect a player and he is definitely low in confidence, you dont just lose ability over a summer. Last season no one, or at most very few,  questioned his technique, passing, hold up play etc etc. His hold up play and workrate were immaculate last season. Running becomes heavier when low in confidence and the running he does is not noticed, as its less effective.

The kid just needs a proper confidence boost and he'll be an absolute baller again.

99.999999% strikers occasionally have bad seasons and rough patches.

Â