Academy General Topic

smetrov

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Why? He's 22 and has never played above League Two. 

He's a very good defender in my opinion , he's great in the air, reads the play well and is a good tackler, he'll have a good career no doubt

What do some of the youth followers feel about reserve teams being in the EFL trophy? Not sure if it is official yet but 16 reserve teams are to be invited to take part in the competition. From what I've heard it is the 12 teams from the u21s first division with the top 4 teams from the second division. Your lot came 4th in the second division so if that is true you will be invited to play in it. 

As a keen follower of youth football I think it will be great for the development of the young players. The u21s (which they are changing to u23s) just isn't a strong enough competition for players to develop and loans just aren't conducive to development and don't give young players a settled environment. It will start with a group stage which guarantees 3 matches against senior opposition.

Lower league fans are up in arms but I think this is a good compromise to try aid the development of young players while not disrupting the integrity of the lower leagues by allowing B teams in the league system. There is the argument of the top teams hogging all the top young players but I guess I'm a little biased as a Manchester United supporter and as an avid follower of our academy I am really looking forward to it. 

3 minutes ago, tommybread said:

What do some of the youth followers feel about reserve teams being in the EFL trophy? Not sure if it is official yet but 16 reserve teams are to be invited to take part in the competition. From what I've heard it is the 12 teams from the u21s first division with the top 4 teams from the second division. Your lot came 4th in the second division so if that is true you will be invited to play in it. 

As a keen follower of youth football I think it will be great for the development of the young players. The u21s (which they are changing to u23s) just isn't a strong enough competition for players to develop and loans just aren't conducive to development and don't give young players a settled environment. It will start with a group stage which guarantees 3 matches against senior opposition.

Lower league fans are up in arms but I think this is a good compromise to try aid the development of young players while not disrupting the integrity of the lower leagues by allowing B teams in the league system. There is the argument of the top teams hogging all the top young players but I guess I'm a little biased as a Manchester United supporter and as an avid follower of our academy I am really looking forward to it. 

I can see both sides of the argument really. Some youth teams could beat lower league sides and so it takes away the lower leagues chance of success and a day out at Wembley. However, the youth league is very poor in its current format in my eyes and so adding competition against seasoned pros could be benefitial... Probably just another trophy for Chelsea Youth to win..

(I don't watch youth football, but basing it on when out youngsters come into the first team, they always look not ready for the physical demands as they've never had to play against adults.)

12 minutes ago, tommybread said:

How do you feel about Mourinho btw? Surely will be very damaging for the current crop of United youth, whatever else he achieves. 

I'm basically against the proposals, they seem likely to me to lead to even more hoarding of young players and the richest clubs in the country buying players they never think will develop into much but who can win them a minor tournament now. However, I will admit I don't have any others. I suppose I just wouldn't change anything. 

Thanks for posting tommybread, it's the first I've heard of it, it sounds like a well thought out process. Our 17-20 year olds performed admirably last season, I think that some of them found the u21 league a bit too easy to be honest, I think that they will only benefit from this proposal

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Released defender Josh Webb has signed for Kilmarnock, good luck to him, I think he is an excellent player

Do you ever think you might slightly overdo the praise of our youngsters?  i.e:  If he was indeed an excellent player, surely we wouldn't be releasing him and, if we did, surely he'd go somewhere better than Kilmarnock?

Still, best of luck to him.

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Do you ever think you might slightly overdo the praise of our youngsters?  i.e:  If he was indeed an excellent player, surely we wouldn't be releasing him and, if we did, surely he'd go somewhere better than Kilmarnock?

Still, best of luck to him.

I've been going to youth matches for 10 years now and I can categorically say that he is one of the best defenders I've seen come through the academy in that time, so no. He's probably using Kilmarnock as a stepping stone, he's too good for them in my opinion 

I'm absolutely against the idea of B teams competing in anything - I also think that teams should be limited to 25 players over 21 on their books - Chelsea had 28 players out on loan last season, it's ridiculous - all this would do is encourage the very richest teams to stockpile talent.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I've been going to youth matches for 10 years now and I can categorically say that he is one of the best defenders I've seen come through the academy in that time, so no. He's probably using Kilmarnock as a stepping stone, he's too good for them in my opinion 

An excellent defender on par with who? Nathan Baker? Lilian Thuram?

• Like 2

Don't understand the criticism Chelsea get for buying players to loan out in the hope one of two may make the 1st team or make a profit. I think from a business point of view it's an excellent idea and they have been extremely savvy in doing it. FFP means you have to be creative in creating new revenue streams. Buying players to loan out, in the hope they (may) turn a profit or are able to challenge for a first team spot makes good sense. (Morals aside maybe) 

if Dr X is really serious about buying other teams we should definitley follow their lead and buy the best youth we can (in our position) get them playing first team football in whatever league. So hopefully a. One or two make it into our first team b. We can sell them on for more than than we paid for them. 

Edited by thabucks

9 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I'm amazed when we offered him out for loan kiddy harriers got in there before barca 

8 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Thanks stanbalaban, sad if true

I have no idea if this is true or not SGC. Hoping not as you couldn't ask for more of a Villa man to be involved with the club. 

Like I said, just one fella on the Dubai Lions chat has mentioned it. No one else has chimed in to corroborate. 

1 hour ago, StanBalaban said:

I have no idea if this is true or not SGC. Hoping not as you couldn't ask for more of a Villa man to be involved with the club. 

Like I said, just one fella on the Dubai Lions chat has mentioned it. No one else has chimed in to corroborate. 

Thanks again for the info stanbalaban

• Like 1

OS reporting that new deals have been given to Khalid Abdo, Jerell Sellars, Rory Hale, Jozef Pastorek, Joe Linley & Mitchell Clark.

^https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2016/07/06/new-contracts-for-youth-players

Here's the article from our website confirming it..

Hong Kong Soccer 7s-winning captain Khalid Abdo is one of six Young Lions to have signed new deals.

Abdo [pictured] skippered the youth team to success out in the Far East, seeing off a host of teams to lift the prestigious trophy for the sixth time.

The midfielder also won player of the tournament after his inspirational displays in a very young squad.

Â