Academy General Topic

smetrov

I watched a villa youth team a while back play Middlesborough.

It was like watching men play boys.

For sure we was highly rated in terms of technical ability at the time, but we came second in just about every other aspect of the game....We were physically out muscled.

There is an old saying in football....."a good big un, will always beat a good liitle un"

a bit basic I know, but when is the last powerful player we have produced from our academy.

Gareth Barry...?

Ugo Ethiogu..?

We just do not produce enough players from the Academy who can impose themselves on a game.

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

For sure we was highly rated in terms of technical ability at the time, but we came second in just about every other aspect of the game....We were physically out muscled.

There is an old saying in football....."a good big un, will always beat a good liitle un"

a bit basic I know, but when is the last powerful player we have produced from our academy.

Gareth Barry...?

Ugo Ethiogu..?

We just do not produce enough players from the Academy who can impose themselves on a game.

Barry came through at Brighton IIRC? I don't like the modern obsession with having to physically be a beast and I'm certain that in modern football there is enough protection that a good little un will not always be beaten by a good big un, especially if the little un has better feet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

Barry came through at Brighton IIRC? I don't like the modern obsession with having to physically be a beast and I'm certain that in modern football there is enough protection that a good little un will not always be beaten by a good big un, especially if the little un has better feet.

There is always an exception to every rule, so please don't take my comments so literally.

I make no apologies, I think we have produced too many lightweights, thats just my opinion and I will not change it.

That does not mean that I disrespect players of slight build.....but those that fail to impose themselves on a game, I label as Lightweight.

George Best, Billy Bremner, Alan Ball, Johnny Giles, David Speedie....were not built like brick out houses, but they were certainly not Lightweights

Lightweights to me are players that drift through a game with little affect on it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, romavillan said:

He did but still spent time in our academy before getting his first team chance, we was watching his pal, when we signed him.

What impressed me when i first set eyes on him......was his protection of the ball away from the opposition......I knew straight away he was a star in the making.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TRO said:

Gareth Barry...?

Ugo Ethiogu..?

Nathan Baker says hi.........

....moments before he's sprawled out unconscious 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Nathan Baker says hi.........

....moments before he's sprawled out unconscious 

One swallow does not make a summer...?

so you pick on the obvious position for physical status., to prove your point.

when did we have a Duncan Edwards like figure in midfield, don't get confused with the ability of the man, just highlighting the stature.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

There is always an exception to every rule, so please don't take my comments so literally.

I make no apologies, I think we have produced too many lightweights, thats just my opinion and I will not change it.

That does not mean that I disrespect players of slight build.....but those that fail to impose themselves on a game, I label as Lightweight.

George Best, Billy Bremner, Alan Ball, Johnny Giles, David Speedie....were not built like brick out houses, but they were certainly not Lightweights

Lightweights to me are players that drift through a game with little affect on it.

Ok, but you did say big un's and little un's. If you are talking about strength and not getting brushed off the ball then that's different. Teeny tiny Maradonna, Messi, Mancini was skinny too, and that's just some M's! 

I was just disagreeing about the big un's comment, if you actually mean having a physical presence and not getting bullied then that's different I suppose. 

12 hours ago, romavillan said:

Ok, but you did say big un's and little un's. If you are talking about strength and not getting brushed off the ball then that's different. Teeny tiny Maradonna, Messi, Mancini was skinny too, and that's just some M's! 

I was just disagreeing about the big un's comment, if you actually mean having a physical presence and not getting bullied then that's different I suppose. 

It was a bit of a generalisation used years ago to make the point, but yes I accept your interpretation as much more accurate.

However,as you say Maradona etc did have an athletic frame that could deal with the physical contact that kind of player attracts .....as does Messy

51 minutes ago, TRO said:

It was a bit of a generalisation used years ago to make the point, but yes I accept your interpretation as much more accurate.

However,as you say Maradona etc did have an athletic frame that could deal with the physical contact that kind of player attracts .....as does Messy

Old school thinking - and the kind that has completely ravaged the English game - all this "big 'un" stuff.  Agbonlahor being told to "bulk up" under O'Neill basically ruined him.  Look at the amount of athletic, "strong" academy players that are produced across the country and then look at what the English national team achieves.

We need to get unstuck in our ways - the more progressive, technically gifted players we can produce, the better.  Case in point: Jack Grealish.

• Like 2

On 09/09/2016 at 12:06, bobzy said:

Old school thinking - and the kind that has completely ravaged the English game - all this "big 'un" stuff.  Agbonlahor being told to "bulk up" under O'Neill basically ruined him.  Look at the amount of athletic, "strong" academy players that are produced across the country and then look at what the English national team achieves.

We need to get unstuck in our ways - the more progressive, technically gifted players we can produce, the better.  Case in point: Jack Grealish.

Don't be too quick to dismiss Old School Thinking, History has a tendency to repeat itself.....much can be learnt from yesteryear.

You only have to Look at the general Stature of the German National side over the decades to suggest it has some merit.

There are many attributes that are at play in a top football player and power and strength is just one of them.....but its a damn good one to have.

• I think a lot of other issues other than bulking up contributed to Agbonlahors fall from grace.
  • Jack Grealish has a long way to go in my eyes, before I would join in and cite him as a case in point....that technical ability you mention has to be applied.
  • Like 1

I went to Bodymoor again with Noel, we only saw the first half, it finished 0-0, he had to go out for dinner 

The team was as follows:

Victor Johansson (GK)

Isiah Bazeley-Graham (RB)

Joe Finnerty (CB)

Johan Abdoul (CB)

? (LB)

Jake Hayes (RM)

Jake Humphries (CM)

Jack Clarke (CM)

Louis Hall (LM)

Jordan Cox (ST)

Kelsey Mooney (ST)

Again, it was an enjoyable occasion but it was a shame that we had to leave early. I'd definitely recommend going to these games to fellow posters if they are interested

I was at BHX airport last week after the England Netherlands game (was it under 21s?) and saw the Dutch team at the airport. I'm 6ft 1 and standing near those lads even I felt short! There didn't seem to be any one shorter than me!

So I think at youth level at least, physical size does matter a lot more, but that differential seems to even out as players get older, from my own anecdotal viewing of football over the years (I'm not a coach but I've played a bit when I was younger). We've had some poor big players and good short ones at first team level, so I guess when players mature they learn to use their attributes to their advantage, be that being a big lad or small and quick etc.

Edited by alreadyexists

• 3 weeks later...
Â