Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

Agreed. And constantly changing managers cannot help.

Yep, just when a player thinks he might have a chance along comes a new manager to replace him with his favourites. For all his faults at least Sherwood was keen to promote youth. Having got kids myself, there's nothing that motivates them more than support, responsibility and encouragement.

I've got to be careful what I say here ( don't want to lose my job) but I work for Oxford United FC and I sometimes have to deal with members from the youth development squad and i have have to say some of them for want of a better word are bellends. The arrogance some of  them have is unbelievable. They walk round acting they are going to be the next best thing and are superior to people who aren't in their position. It's scary and on one or two occasions I have had to bite my lip rather than unleashing the truth that most won't make it and that it's a. Bleeding 4th tier team not the premier league. Parents are also a big issue ( I've had parents ask me if I want their 8/9/12 yo signature as they will be the next big thing, it's quite astounding some parents attitude) 

That said there are also a load of well grounded humble individuals as well. Who realise how lucky they are. But it this is happening at a lower league teams academy I imagine the same goes at villa but magnified. 

• Like 2

Apparently we've signed some West Ham youth player:

http://www.thewesthamway.co.uk/#!ExWHUEmployee-Exclusive-Borg-joins-Aston-Villa/maip4/56f2aec50cf213d90db3e2fb

Talented youngster Oscar Borg has left the club to join Aston Villa.  The 18 year old left full back or winger as signed a professional contract of 2 years and 3 months with the Midlands club.  The player was scouted by many clubs in his time at West Ham, notably by Manchester United (where he had a trial) and we fought to hold onto him.  Some people were even labelling him the new Gareth Bale.  Unfortunately he hasn’t developed as much as we would have liked him to and Terry Westley doesn't think he has enough ability to make it at West Ham.  It is thought that he could figure for the Aston Villa first team next year.  We wish Oscar all the best in his future career.  

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Callum McManaman is the man sent off, he'll be suspended for a Premier league game. 

will he get suspended this time considering he got away with a horror tackle vs Newcastle few seasons back

Sorry, Samir Nabi was the scorer (the younger brother) - I think we had a sniff around them when they were at school, their junior school was just around the corner and used to play in a five a side league at Villa Park, by the time we noticed them they were already at the Albion though.

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Sorry, Samir Nabi was the scorer (the younger brother) - I think we had a sniff around them when they were at school, their junior school was just around the corner and used to play in a five a side league at Villa Park, by the time we noticed them they were already at the Albion though.

Thanks pal

On 3/22/2016 at 17:59, Nigel said:

Does that annoy anyone else?

nothing surprises me or annoys me any more....its just par for the course.

Â