Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

This is going to be unpopular but I think the youth team staff need to be seriously looked at, and if needs be-be replaced. How many mediocre players have we produced with the same staff in place ? Our crop always seem to show early promise but never make the step up to first team. 

Cowans, McDonald & McAndrew & Kimberly need to be looked at as they seem immune from any form of criticism.  

• Like 1

I think that's a bit unfair thabucks, I think that they do a good job, the current crop of u18s are very good in my opinion. Very few players from the academy will make the step up to the first team but the academy always find them a new club if they are deemed not good enough to make it here

6 minutes ago, thabucks said:

This is going to be unpopular but I think the youth team staff need to be seriously looked at, and if needs be-be replaced. How many mediocre players have we produced with the same staff in place ? Our crop always seem to show early promise but never make the step up to first team. 

Cowans, McDonald & McAndrew & Kimberly need to be looked at as they seem immune from any form of criticism.  

Dont see how/why it woul dbe unpopular. I think the academy has gone the same way as the rest of the club, its just stale and full of people who seem to be far too comfortable in their role to really put the passion needed into it anymore. 

I look at the academy staff a lot like gabby and the old guard that are still here. I think they used to be good, maybe could be, but not here anymore because theyve gotten too comfortable and theres no drive there. Spend too long in a club that has no ambition and youll start to think the same way!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, thabucks said:

really not true though. we have let so many go like Albrighton, Davis and Cahill and now see players like Graham thriving in Championship and I think its bad management higher up than the youth setup

• Like 2

SGC I'm just frustrated that we as a club can't consistently produce players for our first team. Everton have a recent history of doing it. As do spuds. It just frustrates me that players seem to need to leave to push on in their careers. Is that a coaching thing, the culture within the club, a staff issue. I'm sure they are all nice people and are good at there jobs but I want success not niceness 

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

really not true though. we have let so many go like Albrighton, Davis and Cahill and now see players like Graham thriving in Championship and I think its bad management higher up than the youth setup

So it's Lerner's fault then. Any excuse to have a dig. Yes it's all his fault Albrighton, Cahill, David were sub par here so needed to leave to push on. Nothing to do with the players or coaching just all Lerner's fault. Ok?

8 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

The majority of Tottenham's and Everton's successes have been acquired from the lower leagues, the likes of Alli and Stones. It's a route we've gone down in the past but to little or no avail

Was thinking more about Galloway Berkeley Rooney and to some extent Garbutt. Also Mason & Kane Townsend. Wasn't referring to Ali & Stones who were bought in then developed 

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

So it's Lerner's fault then. Any excuse to have a dig. Yes it's all his fault Albrighton, Cahill, David were sub par here so needed to leave to push on. Nothing to do with the players or coaching just all Lerner's fault. Ok?

I didnt mean that far up ;)

we signed a lot of players without giving trusting youth players. Was Davies/Knight better than Cahill or Sidwell/Reo-COker better than Davis or Zog better than Albrighton. We have a terrible recruitment policy which allowed young players to not get a chance

then when Lambert played some youth players he played about 6 in a row which is a horrible/stupid way to blood players

• Like 3

Sorry Zatman misconstrued what you meant ! it's just tiring hearing jibes at Lerner that just aren't true. He has a lot to answer for and to be blamed for without creating things.

I completely agree with you that o'neil and to some extent lambert ruined a generation of talent with bad purchases, bad decisions and selections. Have a unsubstantiated feeling Garde is the right man to hopefully finally harness the academy. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

we signed a lot of players without giving trusting youth players. Was Davies/Knight better than Cahill or Sidwell/Reo-COker better than Davis or Zog better than Albrighton. We have a terrible recruitment policy which allowed young players to not get a chance

then when Lambert played some youth players he played about 6 in a row which is a horrible/stupid way to blood players

I don't think it helps that a lot of the fans are incredibly quick to write people off and seemingly unwilling to accept that youngsters make mistakes. 

42 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I see Johnson is getting a good few goals and assists in an average Preston team in Championship. another one who could have helped out here

He's an excellent player in my opinion, he should've been given an opportunity here

• Like 1

On 30/12/2015 at 16:39, Zatman said:

He also tended to play his own bought youth players and not those coming through the youth team.

In the likely event we are in the championship next year, are any of these guys going to be ready to break the first team and play their part?

I can't help but think it would be a golden opportunity to give some of them a chance even if just off the bench or through injury.

Â