Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

5 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We're playing Arsenal u21s at villa park tomorrow night, 7pm kick off, I'll be in attendance 

As I know very little of our younger players SGC, would you say any of them could do a job for us in the Chamionship?  Your thoughts would be appreciated. 

21 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

As I know very little of our younger players SGC, would you say any of them could do a job for us in the Chamionship?  Your thoughts would be appreciated. 

I think that Niall Mason, Andre Green, Rushian Hepburn-Murphy and Easah Suliman could all do a job for us if we go down, they are all very good young players

43 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think that Niall Mason, Andre Green, Rushian Hepburn-Murphy and Easah Suliman could all do a job for us if we go down, they are all very good young players

Cheers SGC, if four or more came through next season and held their own that would be considered a success for our Acadamy surely. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gary Thomas said:

Might go and watch U21s take on Arsenal tonight.

Have not been to one of these before.  Can you sit anywhere in the ground or do fans tend to congregate in certain stands?

And also, can we be cheeky and park at the ground?

Play the lot. No point playing one or two in the first team with players who are scarred and mentally beat. Just play the young ones together.  They have combinations and are full of confidence. There's no pressure on them either. We're down already and the pressure will be on the premier league team to beat an under 21s team. I feel defeated before a game starts..  So it would be exciting at least. Good experience for them

Edited by KSV

I can see the youth set up being revamped under Hollis's review,and I wonder whose head will role ? For too long we have been producing players that either aren't good enough for our 1st team or haven't been given a chance. Something needs to change. I've said it before and I'll say it again (Tin hat time) if that means moving cowans or McDonald out or to another role so be it. 

Our youth system is one of the few things in the club that functions well.

One of our biggest problems as a football club is that we don't realise that one of our biggest problems is completely changing everything every two years and heading off in a completely new direction in order to solve our biggest problems.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

One of our biggest problems as a football club is that we don't realise that one of our biggest problems is completely changing everything every two years and heading off in a completely new direction in order to solve our biggest problems.

I agree, but with the minor addition that our players seem to have a very hard time making the step up to senior football.

Maybe thou it's no different from at any other club, just that I notice it more here as I follow it closer here?

On 19 March 2016 at 13:12, OutByEaster? said:

To my knowledge our youth system is the one area which hasn't been tinkered with-no? Maybe it is time to rip it up and start again? I'm not well placed enough to truly comment was just speculating. As something isn't right with it and the path  from youth to first team seems (in the past for sure) to have been broken. Is that down to our predicament of perpetual relegation worries these past 5 seasons, is it because the players we have produced haven't been given a chance? Or is it because they aren't good enough which for me points to the training and mentoring of them. Can't judge this crop but how did we go from next gen winners to having none of that crop make an impact? Is it all the managers fault or is it because for whatever reason the academy staff haven't been producing enough quality youngsters. Genuinely interested to hear people who know the systems thoughts on this. 

I think that's an interesting post the bucks, I think that the current 1st and 2nd year scholars are the best group we've had for quite a few years. The fact that 2 of them (Andre Green and Rushian Hepburn-Murphy) have appeared for the first team and a third (Easah Suliman) has been on the bench, they are outstanding young players. I think that after a few years of not producing players that are not good enough for us but good enough for the lower leagues, we seem to be producing quality players again

Edited by sir_gary_cahill
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

MacDonald had left for a while, and the youths were left in the control of Cowans. Would that have anything to do with it. A fabulous player does not necessarily make for a good coach.

True, but even with MacDonald in charge we don't seem to have been able to turn promising youngsters into fully fledged first teamers. It's even more surprising when you consider our generally quite good youth and reserve team form over the years. 

I think a huge chunk of responsibly has to lay with the first team managers. They've constantly overlooked our academy produce, rightly or wrongly. Players have then gone elsewhere to play more regularly and improved. We need to improve the supply line and then actually develop them in the first team. Otherwise what's the point.

Just now, It's Your Round said:

True, but even with MacDonald in charge we don't seem to have been able to turn promising youngsters into fully fledged first teamers. It's even more surprising when you consider our generally quite good youth and reserve team form over the years. 

I think a huge chunk of responsibly has to lay with the first team managers. They've constantly overlooked our academy produce, rightly or wrongly. Players have then gone elsewhere to play more regularly and improved. We need to improve the supply line and then actually develop them in the first team. Otherwise what's the point.

Agreed. And constantly changing managers cannot help.

Â