Academy General Topic

smetrov

Back to 2-2 but down to nine players, Palace have also had a player sent off

Burton result was bad, but losing a game like this is normal, and form will probably take a bit of a dip from hereon as hopefully more players get moved up to the U21s

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Academy started back this week but fixtures not up and running yet so in house fixtures at BMH 2mo for some age groups. Pre Academy hosted Burnley at Brookvale today .

• Like 1

Just watched a replay our U15s losing 2-0 to Vitoria in the Egypt Cup, I think they were there over the weekend, Vitoria looked the better side as a team to be fair, and came very close to scoring a few more, were unlucky not to.

Farid Addey played in central defence, not sure if that's his new position now, he used to play midfield I think, maybe he plays both, he looked better on the ball, passiing and close control than the more defensive side of the game, we signd him from Coventry, I think he's highly rated as was playing a couple of ages up for our U14s that won the Albert Phelan South, and recently got England U15 call-up

Didn't know any of the other players except for Freddie Lawrie and looks like Jahmi Kellyman was there, but he didn't play in that game, the other defender next to Addey looked very good on the ball as well, to be fair you could see that they were all good players, Vitoria just played better as a team on the day.

They also lost to Pyramids FC 3-2, I haven't watched that one yet, but it's also on ZED FC's facebook

Edit: They must have played Vitoria twice as they also drew 1-1 with them

Edited by useless
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, useless said:

Just watched a replay our U15s losing 2-0 to Vitoria in the Egypt Cup, I think they were there over the weekend, Vitoria looked the better side as a team to be fair, and came very close to scoring a few more, were unlucky not to.

Farid Addey played in central defence, not sure if that's his new position now, he used to play midfield I think, maybe he plays both, he looked better on the ball, passiing and close control than the more defensive side of the game, we signd him from Coventry, I think he's highly rated as was playing a couple of ages up for our U14s that won the Albert Phelan South, and recently got England U15 call-up

Didn't know any of the other players except for Freddie Lawrie and looks like Jahmi Kellyman was there, but he didn't play in that game, the other defender next to Addey looked very good on the ball as well, to be fair you could see that they were all good players, Vitoria just played better as a team on the day.

They also lost to Pyramids FC 3-2, I haven't watched that one yet, but it's also on ZED FC's facebook

Edit: They must have played Vitoria twice as they also drew 1-1 with them

How is that Egyptian kid we signed from ZED FC getting on? Omari something?

I don't know, it's hard to find information on ZED youth games, but I think he's playing for their U18s and U21s, he was in some National tournament with Egypt's U20s against other African nations recently and I think he did quite well, got a couple of assists and won a penalty from which they scored, bearing in mind he's only seventeen so playing several ages up.

So thats another International 16 year old added to the academy then since the summer

Hemming Jimoh Broggio Rowe Proctor all represent England, then Moreland Brannigan from NI , Borland repping Scotland. 

Lets hope some of these can push on and put pressure on the older boys .

3 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

So thats another International 16 year old added to the academy then since the summer

Hemming Jimoh Broggio Rowe Proctor all represent England, then Moreland Brannigan from NI , Borland repping Scotland. 

Lets hope some of these can push on and put pressure on the older boys .

Thought that was the name of one player for a second

• Haha 1

Great to see we have a profitable academy.

But is there anyway or someone out there know how successful we have been at producing our own who have 

1.  Played for the first team

2. Gone on to have good careers either in Prem or Championship.

I had this argument with a west ham fan who claimed they are the academy of football.....i could only name Rice.....Defoe.....Lampard and Ferdinand

We have had probably two or three a year let alone four over 25 years???

• Like 1

14 hours ago, useless said:

I watched a couple of our U15 games on Zed FC's Facebook yesterday, and we've got a player who's first name is Heaven in that age group

Been with us for quite a few years now  ,  was pulled in from Coventry 

• Thanks 1

On 10/01/2024 at 13:02, bobzy said:

That’s how a successful academy works. 

I don't really understand the point @HongKongVillan is making, but if I were going to steelman a case about a problem with our academy it wouldn't be 'we can't re-produce Grealish' (no-one is producing multiple Grealishes) but 'I can't see who commands the next even Philogene-sized fee'. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I don't really understand the point @HongKongVillan is making, but if I were going to steelman a case about a problem with our academy it wouldn't be 'we can't re-produce Grealish' (no-one is producing multiple Grealish's) but 'I can't see who commands the next even Philogene-sized fee'. 

I thought we were collecting basically some sort of harlem globetrotters of youth football and hoovering up all the talent? Then I'm reading we might struggle against Palace U-15.

39 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't really understand the point @HongKongVillan is making, but if I were going to steelman a case about a problem with our academy it wouldn't be 'we can't re-produce Grealish' (no-one is producing multiple Grealishes) but 'I can't see who commands the next even Philogene-sized fee'. 

dont get me wrong - this isnt a dig at our acadmey or anything, its more of a case of that £100m for one player was an exceptional case where the number/ranking is skewed. Of course, if we can have this exceptional case every 10 years say, that would still be good, and perhaps thats no longer an exceptional.

26 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

dont get me wrong - this isnt a dig at our acadmey or anything, its more of a case of that £100m for one player was an exceptional case where the number/ranking is skewed. Of course, if we can have this exceptional case every 10 years say, that would still be good, and perhaps thats no longer an exceptional.

Yeah, it's definitely exceptional and unlikely to be repeated, but the money all counts. As I say the challenge is to be able to repeat the sales we saw last summer as often as possible, and that's the greater concern than the share of the historical figure taken up by Grealish. 

Â