Academy General Topic

smetrov

5 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

Haven't we also a few brothers from Omari Kellyman aswell? 

Yes we have quite a few families that have 2-3 boys in the Academy. Mile Jedinak has both his lads in with us aswell . 

• Like 1

So Tommi O'Reilly and Josh Feeney have got their loan moves.

Late loan for Lamare Bogarde? If not, interesting situation for him. Recalled from Bristol Rovers. Seemed to have Championship suitors. Wasn't in the youth squads for the last round of fixtures. Is he injured? Will Emery be taking a look at him in training for the rest of the season?

Afoka also recalled, hasn't got a move back out yet.

With Gauci signing and Proctor stepping up to the U21s, I did wonder if Wright would get a loan too.

We'll see in the next couple of hours I guess...

2 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Harrison's been here since 2019, so have to believe the 9 & 11 year-olds from 5 years back are already in the Villa Academy setup. It will be a failure of our talent identification & recruitment if we sign any player that joined the WBA academy after 2019.

To say it’s a failure is not right for a few reasons , there are limits on the amount of players per age group so that age group may already be full and therefore does the player stay on development and wait for a possible space  or sign a contract for WBA ,Wolves etc, are these players the right fit at age 9 if not they maybe at 15 , do they want to play for Villa , there are some young players who are offered Villa and WBA and choose WBA due to the smaller set up . Multiple reasons 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chine said:

To say it’s a failure is not right for a few reasons , there are limits on the amount of players per age group so that age group may already be full and therefore does the player stay on development and wait for a possible space  or sign a contract for WBA ,Wolves etc, are these players the right fit at age 9 if not they maybe at 15 , do they want to play for Villa , there are some young players who are offered Villa and WBA and choose WBA due to the smaller set up . Multiple reasons 

Thank you for saying this, saved me the bother. It's obviously ridiculous to think that 100% success at talent spotting of 9 year olds is a realistic benchmark for Harrison and/or his team to be held to. 

Saturday 

U10 & u12 Corey Price Cup @BMH

16s  v Sunderland PL Cup QF @BMH

18s  v Palace PL Cup QF Away

Sunday

9s v Burton Away

9s 10s 11s 14s v Man City Away

12s v West Brom Away

13s v Forest BMH 

15s v Leeds BMH 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pongo Waring said:

How's Markie Meade doing?
He as good as this guy (Blues nose) says he is?

image.thumb.png.05e5ada2a9ae23faec5f903acfab09e4.png

Doesnt strike me as powerful when i saw him in that international tournament. Fast and skillful but not a big lad  . No idea how he is getting on these days though 

• Like 1

Quite predictably the U18s currently getting thrashed by Palace.

Not sure I understand the logic of playing the likes of Borland, Jimoh, and Wilson in last night's game for the U21s, a game that didn't even matter because we had already qualified, instead of playing them in today's Quarter-Final, I think even Young and Kellyman could have played today as well

Would have been a tough match whichever team we put out, as Palace have a very good academy, at least in terms of getting results and winning things

22 minutes ago, useless said:

Not sure I understand the logic of playing the likes of Borland, Jimoh, and Wilson in last night's game for the U21s, a game that didn't even matter because we had already qualified, instead of playing them in today's Quarter-Final, I think even Young and Kellyman could have played today as well

Would have been a tough match whichever team we put out, as Palace have a very good academy, at least in terms of getting results and winning things

I think we in particular arent really interested in the best team getting on the pitch. Its more the right players at the right times with the right loads for their individual development. . With all due respect to those playing today it feels like we threw the game against Palace with the line up.  I doubt 1 of them would get in our best u18 line up. 

• Like 1

That's normally the case for league games, but for Cup competitions where the games are infrequent, they usually put out the best team possible. And could be argued that today's game would have been better for individual development, because the team Palace have put is probably better than Swansea's U21 team

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

It about developing players for our first team tho right and not about winning

Edited by Pongo Waring

16 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

It about developing players for our first team tho right and not about winning

What i am expecting over the next few years is that we will have more players from within the academy getting scholarships rather than the big recruitment from outside the club. Then they will have grown together and know each others game and also the tactics developed by Emerys team .

Theres alot of good players in the u16s for next season.  Lynskey Burrowes Bindley Haywood Meade Burgess C Ramsey and a couple of others .Most of them youth internationals who have been playing together for a while..

That familiarity and quality from within our academy should hopefully get results as well as the individual development.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

Yeah...I'm not going to question that they know what's best for the development of each individual player, but I expected a slightly stronger line up. Proctor Wilson and Brannigan on the bench was a surprise. When you add in Kellyman Young Patterson Broggio Jimoh Borland Katsukunya Pavey - that's an awful lot of our better and experienced players not in the side. Excited to see what some of them can do for the rest of the season stepping up a level to the U21s regularly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/02/2024 at 13:33, useless said:

Lennon Moss scored for Wales U15 yesterday in their 2-1 win over Ireland, I think he's a central midfielder

Great player , plays as a 6 in our u14s

• Thanks 1

Â