Academy General Topic

smetrov

I like Daniel Johnson and he's done very well at Preston, but he'll be 27 in a couple of months, so I don't think we can really call him a recent academy succcess. Jordan Graham seemed to start off well at Wolves, but then fell out of favor and hasn't done much on loan at either Fulham or Ipswich, and spent the second half of last season on loan at Oxford.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, useless said:

I like Daniel Johnson and he's done very well at Preston, but he'll be 27 in a couple of months, so I don't think we can really call him a recent academy succcess. Jordan Graham seemed to start off well at Wolves, but then fell out of favor and hasn't done much on loan at either Fulham or Ipswich, and spent the second half of last season on loan at Oxford.

I think you are correct, we bought Daniel Johnson from Crystal Palace when he was 16, so technically he didn’t come through our academy

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

We used to have good youth teams, its bad to see how we failed to develop them. Apart from Jack Grealish, I can’t remember any standout player.

Even though Albrighton won the league, but he’s still an ok PL player.

We win NextGen but most of them are now in lower divisions.

I hope we will have a better setup to develope our academy players more and more.

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Does that mean that David Hughes is leaving?

No. It's as a replacement for Sean Kimberley. Isn't Hughes the U18's Head Coach rather than Academy manager?

Mark Harrison by the way is very, very highly rated - Albion have a raft of young players that have been recruited locally and got to the semi-final of last seasons FA Youth Cup - he's had a big influence on them dominating the region for the last few years - this one is a coup.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

No. It's as a replacement for Sean Kimberley. Isn't Hughes the U18's Head Coach rather than Academy manager?

Mark Harrison by the way is very, very highly rated - Albion have a raft of young players that have been recruited locally and got to the semi-final of last seasons FA Youth Cup - he's had a big influence on them dominating the region for the last few years - this one is a coup.

Apparently Baggies fans are up in arms about his potential move to us. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Apparently Baggies fans are up in arms about his potential move to us. 

I bet they are! This guy has done a tremendous job for them - I hope he can do the same for us. We potentially just got the whole region back.

• Like 2

Official

Aston Villa is delighted to announce the appointment of Mark Harrison as the club’s Academy Manager. 

Mark joins the club from West Bromwich Albion, with whom he held a similar role for over a decade, helping to develop the club’s young academy talent. 

CEO Christian Purslow said: “Aston Villa is a football club steeped in a rich tradition of producing its own players. 

“Mark’s appointment is another cornerstone of the process and journey that we set out upon last summer. 

“As a football club, we want a clear pathway right through the academy to the first-team with outstanding recruitment and development. 

“I have every confidence that Mark, working closely with Dean Smith and Jesus Garcia Pitarch, will build an excellent academy that will be able to nurture the next generation of stars to entertain the crowds at Villa Park.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also noticed youth team entered into EFL Trophy: 

BBC Article

EFL Trophy invited Under-21 sides 2019-20

• Arsenal
  • Aston Villa 
  • Brighton & Hove Albion
  • Chelsea 
  • Everton
  • Fulham 
  • Leicester City 
  • Liverpool
  • Manchester City
  • Manchester United
  • Newcastle United
  • Norwich City
  • Southampton
  • Tottenham Hotspur
  • West Ham United
  • Wolverhampton Wanderers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Unused Sub said:

This seams to have slipped under the radar. Mixed feelings to say the least.

I'm not, think its a great opportunity for the youngsters to actually play against first team footballers. The quality of the reserves team leaves a lot to be desired. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

I'm not, think its a great opportunity for the youngsters to actually play against first team footballers. The quality of the reserves team leaves a lot to be desired. 

Agree with this. Its great for Villa and our youngsters. Unfortunately, its at the expense of the completion as a whole. The cup was set up to help lower league clubs, giving them a cup run and a chance of silverware, also more gate money.

Devaluing the cup has meant attendances have dropped off and also depriving teams of a cup run.

• Like 1

Last season the final eight teams were Sunderland, Peterbrough, Port Vale, Bristol Rovers, Bury, Sunderland, Man City, and Oxford; Man City were knocked out in that round, and Portsmouth went on to win the whole thing.

Â