Academy General Topic

smetrov

This was the team: Onodi (gk)

Burton (rb) Bridge (cb) Myles Sohna (cb) McConnachie (lb)

Guy (rw) Birch (cm) Philogene-Bidace (lw)

Tait (cam) Odutayo (st) Pressley (st)

Subs: Farr, Hooper, Harrison Sohna

Unused subs: Marshall (gk), Seb Revan ( younger brother of Dominic)

Edited by sir_gary_cahill
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

See Sean Kimberley has reportedly left ... the revamp continues ... 

Kimberley becomes the latest high profile departure from Villa Park following the exits of seven senior scouts in September.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/exclusive-aston-villa-academy-manager-16149534.amp

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

McKirdy another let go. Don't think ive seen a cull of young players on this scale from us before. You'd wonder is there a major overhaul of our development side of things and is this directive coming from Pitarch and or Smith. We've never been as ruthless as this. Admittedly i don't think any of those kids probably had what it took anyway. Smith, from how he worked and Brentford and they way they have of developing a specific type of player, maybe has an idea of the way our youth system needs to go - for the better.

I think, from now on, if players get to 20 and are not considered a possible first team squad member, they'll start getting moved on to make space.

I think that's fair enough. We'll be asking a lot more from our Academy in the coming years I reckon.

• Like 1

I think it makes sense letting younger lads with high potential play at an older age group whilst also (hopefully) being taught the principles and style of football that is the same as the first team. Also, being loaned out when it is deemed necessary for their improvement; something I think we have missed the boat on somewhat.

On a side note, it's always irked me that the local talent pool in the Midlands is quite evenly spread between the clubs academies, especially in the last ten years or so. Hopefully with the above being implemented, youth scouting and identifying players with an actual football model in mind will maybe give us an edge in attracting the best that local talent has to offer.

Edited by holtend4life

On 14/04/2019 at 07:07, OutByEaster? said:

The names keep getting better and better.

A couple of new ones I've seen listed on Transfermarkt...

Carney Chukwameka

Sonny Dullaway

• Like 2

I know we've heard about 8 or so academy products that have been released, but has anyone heard about Jack Clarke, Callum Rowe or Easah Suliman? I believe they are out of contract at the end of the year unless they have been extended...

1 hour ago, Hornso said:

I know we've heard about 8 or so academy products that have been released, but has anyone heard about Jack Clarke, Callum Rowe or Easah Suliman? I believe they are out of contract at the end of the year unless they have been extended...

I’m sure that the club will let us know in due course 

• Like 1

So after the recent cull, the only player within that target age bracket who wasn't released but who also hasn't made the step up to senior side is Easah Suliman.

3 hours ago, BOF said:

So after the recent cull, the only player within that target age bracket who wasn't released but who also hasn't made the step up to senior side is Easah Suliman.

He’s out of contract though, so I think they’ll make an announcement on him soon

• Like 1

Â