Academy General Topic

smetrov

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I can understand Heskey but Hendrie was one of my heroes when I was growing up

He was a decent little player in his day and played in some good villa teams, but legend? Not having it mate. 

Just now, av1 said:

He was a decent little player in his day and played in some good villa teams, but legend? Not having it mate. 

In my opinion, when he was around the age of 21 or so, he was brilliant, he carried us at that age

17 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Totally.

our best players have been Mitchell, O'Hare and McKirdy but all three are very slightly built and short.

leicester players certainly look taller and physical.

disappointing end to a positive tournament 

This. Its always been the case with our youth. Dr Xia needs to go and offer some of the best scouts triple salaries and get them over here. We need to start shopping smart and buying gems all around europe before they goto bigger clubs. Stop buying average Championship players who have half a good season. 

Hopefully with the revamped scouting network we may see improvement soon. 

Leicester had some beast sized kids in that side.. and we well and trully got bullied. That forward that scored the two goals against us in the final.. he would walk into our starting side. The big number 2.. he was great as well. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, av1 said:

Legends football is basically retired footballers playing 5 a side...it's a better tag than veterans football which is what it basically is, I think David James was in goal and silvestre played too

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Legends football is basically retired footballers playing 5 a side...it's a better tag than veterans football which is what it basically is, I think David James was in goal and silvestre played too

I know mate. My comment was tongue in cheek :thumb:

How ironic that our ex coach managed the winning team in HK?

I have suggested that someone asks the club at the upcoming consultation group meeting why, in light of the recent Premier League enquiry, is Kevin McDonald still employed by the club?  I believe we carried out a thorough review of the Academy set up so how on earth is he still there ?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bully said:

How ironic that our ex coach managed the winning team in HK?

I have suggested that someone asks the club at the upcoming consultation group meeting why, in light of the recent Premier League enquiry, is Kevin McDonald still employed by the club?  I believe we carried out a thorough review of the Academy set up so how on earth is he still there ?

On the other hand, I think we have a very good up and coming coach of the U18s now in David Hughes. I think he has good knowledge of the game and knows how to get the best out of the players 

37 minutes ago, bully said:

I believe we carried out a thorough review of the Academy set up so how on earth is he still there ?

You've probably answered your own question

the story that led to the investigation sounded a bit like a jilted ex to me, maybe they found nothing wrong

In the last couple of years we seem to have had a decentish crop of 16/17 year olds drop away rather than push through though, if we spend a couple of years in the championship with no academy product breaking through then questions should be asked

On 5/28/2017 at 13:47, av1 said:

He was too lightweight for my kind of player......and in my opinion, we have been breeding lightweights at BMH for some considerable time.

On 29/05/2017 at 18:43, theboyangel said:

Mark Delaney also coaching the u18s in Hong Kong,which is great to see.

I think I'm right in saying that he usually coaches the u16s, David Hughes usually coaches the u18s 

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

1 hour ago, daggy_333 said:

Apparently Henry Cowans and Riccardo Calder have left the club according to something I just saw on Twitter.

Neither has been anywhere near the first team so not really  that bothered. We've been saying for a while the youth structure needs a kick up the arse.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Neither has been anywhere near the first team so not really  that bothered. We've been saying for a while the youth structure needs a kick up the arse.

I have to admit I liked the look of Calder but haven't seen anything of Cowans. Looks like the academy is getting looked at.

I have always thought that we needed another Cowans in our starting line up. We still might get one if these twitter posts prove not to be quite 100% in the know as have some others in the past. 

Edited by John

I hope we start breeding some bigger built versions.....ready for a combatitive game at an early age.

We seem to breed small technically savvy players that find difficulty in imposing themselves....Generalising of course.....I'm sure there are exceptions like Baker.

I don't want players that resemble rugby players, but a bit more muscle to deal with the rigours of the game.

some of the ones we have had need to be c26 before they are ready to compete.....thats why they move on and do better, because they mature.We can't always wait that long......particularly of late, when we need ready made players, who can hit the ground running.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Â