Academy General Topic

smetrov

15 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

SGC, what formation do we play? What is our style of play? Are the players physically strong?

We play quite an expansive style of football with a tall striker (Mooney) at the top of the 4-3-3, I think this formation suits the players that we have.

Yes, I'd say that all of the players are strong but we're not brutes, far from it, we like to get the ball down and play out from the back

I went to the U18s match v Stoke City with Noel again this morning (11am kick off) at Bodymoor Heath. This was the team: 

Kieran Boucher (GK): I've seen him a few times and every time I've been impressed, he saved a penalty today and performed admirably- 8

Mitchell Clark (RB): For me, he's outgrown U18s football now, he was great today, provided at attacking outlet and defended well too- 8

James Finnerty (CB): Very solid at the back and he can play too, could be a good player in the future. He defended well, he's a no frills kind of player for me- 7

Dominic Revan (CB): I must have seen him about 10 times or so and he's never failed to impress me. For an u16, he's very dominant and efficient and also good on the deck- 9

Josh Williams (LB): Very solid defensively and has a good whipped delivery, he's got a lovely left foot, could be a good player in the future- 8

Jake Doyle-Hayes (C) (CM): Very industrious in the middle of the park, I rate him, he put a proper captain's performance in today- 8

Jack Clarke (CM): He's put in some great performances lately but today he wasn't as effective but still performed well- 7

Alex Prosser (CM): Again, he's been great lately but wasn't as good today, still played well and worked hard- 7

Harvey Knibbs (AM): Performed well again, I'd expect him to get a professional contract, he worked hard and was industrious- 7

Kelsey Mooney (CF): He led the line well and held the ball up well, I like him- 8

Jordan Cox (AM): He's quite a flashy players and has good natural ability, I think he needs to work on the defensive side of his game, has got potential- 7

Subs: Mason Birch on Jordan Cox off

Callum Rowe on Harvey Knibbs off

Josef Pastorek on Jake Doyle Hayes off

Unused subs: Ethan Patterson, Ben Guy

Finished 3-0 to Villa, there was a woman referee, she did a good job I thought 

1-0: Marauding run by Mitchell Clark at right back, he crossed for Jake Doyle Hayes to head in

2-0: Harvey Knibbs with a great finish from a Jake Doyle-Hayes cross

3-0- Josef Pastorek with a great finish as Jordan Cox set him up

Edited by sir_gary_cahill
  • Like 3

Â