£90 to book a 90s gig

NurembergVillan

Noel Gallagher has always struggled with picking the right songs for his albums Vs singles.

All the way through oasis and even now in high flying birds, he could take half of the songs off an album and swap them with b sides and the album would have been so much better.

I wonder if he already knows this and purposely does it, due to how often it happens.

On 06/08/2020 at 10:30, mjmooney said:

Never heard a note by the Vengaboys, don't even have the first idea what sort of music they do. 

Give it a go MJM. 

Happiness is just around the corner 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Give it a go MJM. 

Happiness is just around the corner 

I did. 

**** ing hell. Do people actually listen to that, voluntarily? 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I did. 

I doubt any right-minded adults would have, but as a 7-11 year old I remember their biggest 'hits' being played at all the kids discos.

Edited by Sam-AVFC

Pretty sure I only paid about a fiver to see Ultravox at The Odeon in New Street in the mid 80s. Can't believe the ticket cost inflation in 35 years. 

It’s been significantly less than 35 years.  Gig prices went up when record sales went down. Probably until the smartphone and Spotify/other streaming services you’d probably be safe in assuming that a large proportion of people at any gig would own or buy the album that the tour was promoting. Gigs were fun, but they were there to drive record sales.  Now the gig is the event and bands make a bigger proportion of their revenue from ticket and merch sales.  

And while I’m here I’ll go Beck, Pulp, Nirvana, Radiohead.  I want to say Bowie, but realistically I’d only want to hear his stuff from 70-83 and therefore he’s disqualified. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Last live performance I saw before the lockdown.

I mean, technically we weren't there just to see the Vengaboys (though I won't lie and say I didn't have a boatload of fun during their set), it was a 90's cheese festival last December (compered by the somehow-Yewtree-proof Pat Sharp). Essentially a parade of Europop one-hit chart botherers of the era would come on stage, bang out 3 songs then on to the next performer.  The big selling point for me personally was getting to see ¼ of Ace Of Base. As @Sam-AVFC has correctly posited, most of it is school-disco fodder for me, thus a largely silly but nevertheless entertaining time was had.  And at the very least, I can always look back fondly on 2019 as the year I genuinely couldn't pick between Meshuggah or Whigfield for most enjoyable live performance attended.

You can still go to a good £10 gig.

In fact, my last gig pre lockdown was free, on the presumption you’d do the decent thing and buy a CD. 

I generally avoid gigs where I’d be paying £65 to stand behind 4,000 other people all trying to film the show.

My most expensive ticket of recent years, by a margin, was £25 and for that I got:

Don Letts

Rob Da Bank

John Cooper Clarke

Cerys Matthews

Andrew Maxwell

Alabama 3

Super Furry Animals

and a few more I can’t remember the names of, including a couple of jugglers and one of those statue guys sprayed silver

worked out about £2.50 each

• Like 3

Ooft, that would hurt. But if it’s your thing, it’s your thing.

I can’t remember how much I paid for 3 of them to see Dr Who at the Proms, Royal Albert Hall (I think I wanted the kids to have been to something in the AH) but I remember deciding I didn’t need a ticket. Perhaps the individual tickets weren’t that expensive, it’s the multiplication of needing 4 that kills you. Anyway they came out like they’d just witnessed the greatest show on earth. So I was happy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Ooft, that would hurt. But if it’s your thing, it’s your thing.

I can’t remember how much I paid for 3 of them to see Dr Who at the Proms, Royal Albert Hall (I think I wanted the kids to have been to something in the AH) but I remember deciding I didn’t need a ticket. Perhaps the individual tickets weren’t that expensive, it’s the multiplication of needing 4 that kills you. Anyway they came out like they’d just witnessed the greatest show on earth. So I was happy.

Yep. "Beautiful: The Carole King Musical". Decided I'd take the missus to see it. Then both daughters decided they'd like to tag along. Dad's paying, obviously. Bye bye 200 quid. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yep. "Beautiful: The Carole King Musical". Decided I'd take the missus to see it. Then both daughters decided they'd like to tag along. Dad's paying, obviously. Bye bye 200 quid. 

Weaving their way into your affections

• Like 1

The venue has an impact on the prices, the barfly for example was dirt cheap and had a host of great 00s bands in there, it was £10 for maccabees, enemy, pigeon detectives etc don't know what the cheapest place is now in brum

I think maybe half of the gigs I've been to in the last 5 years have been via social media / "can I be on the guest list please" got a mate who's pally with members of ocean colour scene and seen them a few times for free, Richard ashcroft free because I think they share guitarist, Arctic monkeys at Royal Albert Hall somehow... Got a couple of mates who are brazen enough to ask and quite often get a yes 

Edited by villa4europe

Â