£90 to book a 90s gig

NurembergVillan

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The venue has an impact on the prices

Absolutely not true, this is not the way the industry works

The industry works like this.

The band want a guarantee of £x plus say 80% of anything above the break even figure

A Promoter takes on the show and guarantees them the money they want to perform.

The venue is just that, a venue, they may self promote some shows but rarely, the external promoter does that.

The venue charge for the hire of the venue but generally speaking this is rarely above cost, which is passed onto the Promoter. The venue make their money from the bar essentially

The Promoter makes his money from his built in profit plus the 20% after the break even

The band make their money from the money guaranteed by the Promoter plus the merch sales

The main drivers of ticket prices are the bands, followed by the promoter. The venue have very little say in it. The ticket price is determined by the band and the promoter haggling and coming to a balance

The band will conduct their business through their appointed agent (who onbviously takes his cut).

Rarely does the venue impact on ticket prices.

Have a look on the top of a gig poster or ticket, pretty much every one will have something like SJM Presents... Thats the Promoter

• Like 1

So the death of the dirt cheap places is the promoters not booking them? 

Like I said when I was in my yoof in the 00s I had the barfly, academy 3 and the wulfrun for cheap gigs 

I think the latter 2 still exist (or Wolverhampton started a different one) but they don't seem as popular 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

So the death of the dirt cheap places is the promoters not booking them? 

Like I said when I was in my yoof in the 00s I had the barfly, academy 3 and the wulfrun for cheap gigs 

I think the latter 2 still exist (or Wolverhampton started a different one) but they don't seem as popular 

Well two of those 3 were actually national chains. The Academy Group is still going. Barfly went to the wall. One of my best mates was the person that developed the old Top Rank / Hummingbird? Into Acad 1,2 and 3. He then went on to run the entire Academy Group, loads of the Academy venues we're run by mates of ours. The Academy Group were a bit different in that they were part owned by the big promoters, I think SJM owned about 15% of it. Barfly might have been a similar set up but they both benefitted from economies of scale and they both used to promote some of their own shows because they could afford to take a slight hit because they took the bar sales anyway. Then streaming reduced product sales and live became the way of making money as an artist, artists needed more money, increasing the risk, venues started promoting less and less and doing more venue hires. Academy group seem to have got in a rut of doing lots of tribute acts now as the costs are Less.

This is a simplification but, it's essentially what happened.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...
Â