£90 to book a 90s gig

NurembergVillan

3 possible ways to spend it for me

Oasis - Stone Roses - Blur - Shed Seven

Oasis - Blur - Pulp - Prodigy

Vengaboys - Vengaboys - Vengaboys - Vengaboys - Vengaboys - Vengaboys - Vengaboys - Vengaboys - Vengaboys

• Haha 3

£80 picks itself for me. 

Bowie obviously. 

Blur and Pulp

Shed 7

Then I'm struggling. 

There is not really another £10 I'm that bothered about and I'm not dropping any of my choices for a more expensive one so if I can't pocket a tenner I'd probably go see Weezer or Carter USM. 

Why aren't The Bluetones or Sleeper or Cast or Seahorses on the £10 list? 

That would make it easy. 

12 hours ago, bickster said:

I didn't go for Bowie because Bowie in the 90's was shit (I actually did see him at the end of the 80s / start of the 90s). If it was the early or mid 70's (before Scary Monsters) I'd have had him on the list in a flash

I was shocked reading through how few votes there were for Bowie. Not seeing him live is one of the greatest regrets of my life. 

I agree about 90s Bowie but with all of them I've kind of assumed it's a greatest hits tour. 

Apart from Vengaboys obviously. 

Just now, sidcow said:

I was shocked reading through how few votes there were for Bowie. Not seeing him live is one of the greatest regrets of my life. 

I agree about 90s Bowie but with all of them I've kind of assumed it's a greatest hits tour. 

Apart from Vengaboys obviously. 

I'll bet most people can't name more than one or maybe two Bowie albums from the '90s.

In fact he released 12 albums between Let's Dance and Blackstar and pretty much all of them are unmemorable dross. I managed to remember 4 in that run of 12 and two of them have almost identical titles

I could go one or two ways

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Beck

or

Bowie (although his 90s stuff was ropey), Chemical Brothers, Pulp, Shed 7 and Elliot Smith

They should do a 70s line-up (but totalling a tenner!) 

(one for the boring thread - me and my mates used to do a lot of themed compilation albums for one another and one was dream festival line ups. From memory I had Pulp, Dr John, The Kinks, SFA, Pavement, Hendrix, The Doors, Polyphonic Spree, Justice, Iggy Pop and headlined by Elvis. I used live performances spliced together in sets of 20-30 minutes. Great fun to do)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I could go one or two ways

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Beck

or

Bowie (although his 90s stuff was ropey), Chemical Brothers, Pulp, Shed 7 and Elliot Smith

They should do a 70s line-up (but totalling a tenner!) 

(one for the boring thread - me and my mates used to do a lot of themed compilation albums for one another and one was dream festival line ups. From memory I had Pulp, Dr John, The Kinks, SFA, Pavement, Hendrix, The Doors, Polyphonic Spree, Justice, Iggy Pop and headlined by Elvis. I used live performances spliced together in sets of 20-30 minutes. Great fun to do)

I wonder what size crowd Elvis would have attracted in The Legends spot at Glastonbury. They would probably need to close down the other stages. 

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I wonder what size crowd Elvis would have attracted in The Legends spot at Glastonbury. They would probably need to close down the other stages. 

Hell yes - i can imagine a sea of rhinestone encrusted jumpsuits and capes singing along to suspicious minds 😂

one day I do intend on seeing an Elvis festival somewhere and genuinely would love to go to Gracelands

Edited by theboyangel

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Even though I don't really have any affinity towards Elvis or particularly like his music, a chance to see him would be difficult to miss.

10 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

One for the boring thread - me and my mates used to do a lot of themed compilation albums for one another and one was dream festival line ups. From memory I had Pulp, Dr John, The Kinks, SFA, Pavement, Hendrix, The Doors, Polyphonic Spree, Justice, Iggy Pop and headlined by Elvis. I used live performances spliced together in sets of 20-30 minutes. Great fun to do)

My mate did it during lockdown using Spotify, created his own festivals with various acts and headliners then organised "stage times" and set lists giving people the links to play lists, a bit like Tim's listening parties, everyone at home listening to the same thing and then using social media to talk about it and post pictures of people in their back garden in the sun getting pissed 

Did 3 of them, by the 3rd one there were a couple of hundred people joining in including some random people around the world on instagram 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Would have been so big now if he hadn’t had died back then? It’s impossible to know I think. 

37 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Hell yes - i can imagine a sea of rhinestone encrusted jumpsuits and capes singing along to suspicious minds 😂

one day I do intend on seeing an Elvis festival somewhere and genuinely would love to go to Gracelands

Gracelands is breathtaking. One of the biggest non family events of my life. People will say otherwise, but for me it was beyond words. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

I went to Memphis ,didn't go to Gracelands  ... that's all you need to know about  my views on Elvis

(tbf we did plan on going in a "might as well seeing as we are here way "  , but  found a bar open until 7am instead so the plans the next day were somewhat scuppered  .. went to Sun Studios in the afternoon instead , that was actually quite interesting 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

I went to Memphis ,didn't go to Gracelands  ... that's all you need to know about  my views on Elvis

(tbf we did plan on going in a "might as well seeing as we are here way "  , but  found a bar open until 7am instead so the plans the next day were somewhat scuppered  .. went to Sun Studios in the afternoon instead , that was actually quite interesting 

Yeah, I'd have zero interest in Graceland, but I'd go to Sun Studio - can't stand Elvis, but I've got a lot of time for Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, et al. 

• Like 1

I've never been to a festival - not into the discomfort of camping. I can stand a one-dayer, but I'd have to be really into the bands that were on. I've been to precisely four of those in my lifetime - in 1974, 1978, 1982 and 2006. The headliners were, respectively: The Who, Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones and The Who again. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

That would be my cue to seek out the Lithuanian folk tent, or some such. Most overrated pop star ever. 

I am sure if only half the world's population had heard the Lithuanian folk singers there eyes would be opened wide and they would suddenly realise how overrated Elvis was, throw his records in the bin and thrust Lithuanian stars to number one for months on end all over the world. 

You may not have a taste in music which matches his sound but you can't say he's overrated,let alone the most overrated ever.  That's just ludicrous. 

I will grant you however that if I was at Glastonbury when Dolly Parton played I would have developed a sudden interest in all things Lithuanian. 

Â