Johan Lange

hippo

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yep sacked for the 2nd choice goalkeeper

Genuine question who should lower mid table Villa with no European football have signed as 2nd choice keeper?

One who isn't awful 

• Like 1

People have been heavily critical of our transfer policy but now indignant at the idea that Lange could be replaced because of said transfer policy, some might prefer to blame Gerrard, but either way, if you're saying that our transfers have been poor, then either way it doesn't look good on Lange, either he played a big part in those transfers so is responsible in that sense, or he allowed someone else to have control of the situation when it's meant to be his job.

Edit: I personally am not saying that our transfer policy has been bad, we've made some good signings and maybe some less so but whether that sould be enough to cost Lange his job I don't know and isn't for me to say.

Edited by useless

5 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

One who isn't awful 

so you are saying we should sign an elite 2nd choice goalkeeper? 

Real Madrid the biggest team in the world has an unknown Ukrainian keeper as back up, Bayern Munich have a 33 year old journeyman. Not sure what people were expecting or just a complaint for the sake of it

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, useless said:

People have been heavily critical of our transfer policy but now indignant at the idea that Lange could be replaced because of said transfer policy, some might prefer to blame Gerrard, but either way, if you're saying that our transfers have been poor, then either way it doesn't look good on Lange, either he played a big part in those transfers so is responsible in that sense, or he allowed someone else to have control of the situation when it's meant to be his job.

It's a strange one, as the players he has signed are decent. OK Coutinho hasn't come good, but getting him for 17m on 125k per week was really good business. Kamara, Bailey, Buendia, Ings, Carlos and Digne are all quality players. The lack of pacey wide players is the only omission, but that was more down to Gerrard and, to his credit, tried to sign Sarr to address the issue. The problem was not bringing them in for a specific system. However, pretty much all of them will be first choice under Emery, so has he really been that bad? 

Edited by Made In Aston

Lange's doing his job. Our squad is a million miles away from where it was 3 years ago, even with some bad man management over the last 12 months. Hopefully now Emery is helping make the decisions those that have under performed will improve and we now tweak the squad by further upgrading the starting 11. We aren't far away from where we need to be imo. The improvement needs to happen on the pitch technically and tactically as much as on the transfer front. 

Edited by avfc1982am

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

so you are saying we should sign an elite 2nd choice goalkeeper? 

Real Madrid the biggest team in the world has an unknown Ukrainian keeper as back up, Bayern Munich have a 33 year old journeyman. Not sure what people were expecting or just a complaint for the sake of it

Doesn't have to be elite but someone who is reliable and isn't shite.

Olsen is a clear downgrade from Steer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The permanent signings made have over all been good. 

You can blame their performances in a villa shirt on the last person claiming to be a manager.

Oddly, most have improved in the short time emery has been here, so instead of writing them off, give them the rest of the season to show if they can fit in with what emery wants and needs.

• Like 1

I found it interesting that danks thanked him for the development that he got under him

But he's still just a scout...

And no doubt these quality youngsters we keep attracting aren't classed as lange scouting them that'll be someone else

As a side, who organises the friendlies at the club? Not suggesting it's something to measure him on but like the games in the middle east vs Brighton and Chelsea who actually organises that from the villa perspective? I'd imagine the travel arrangements and transport comes under lange

He's in a tough spot.

I said a while ago I hope the owners speak to him separately of Purslow for discussions about the football team if they're interested.

Tough to judge him when you've got an autocratic CEO thinking he understands what a team needs and bulldozing through decisions.

If he signed pushed for the signings of Ings, Digne or Coutinho, I'd sack him tomorrow. He didn't.

• Like 1

I simply don't know what he does, in terms of detail and accountability.

In terms of outcome, it has been a bit hit and miss......but I can't call it.

I will leave it to the Owners, to make that judgment.

On 19/12/2022 at 16:05, Demitri_C said:

The notorious liars - football non insiders claim that langes position is under review as the ownwrs are not happy with the progress of alot of the signings under him.

Its porbably bollocks but if it did happen that would be two failure sporting directors not very good. I personally thjnk we should be looking to poach brentfords sporting team as they seem to sign some talents for peanuts and make big profits on them or make them stars

Different situation at Brentford, for a starter their owner works in the stats industry and they get that from him. He also owns a Danish club where they get some of the players from.

• Like 1

On 19/12/2022 at 20:07, villa4europe said:

I found it interesting that danks thanked him for the development that he got under him

But he's still just a scout...

And no doubt these quality youngsters we keep attracting aren't classed as lange scouting them that'll be someone else

As a side, who organises the friendlies at the club? Not suggesting it's something to measure him on but like the games in the middle east vs Brighton and Chelsea who actually organises that from the villa perspective? I'd imagine the travel arrangements and transport comes under lange

He's head of the football department, so the head coach and all the coaching team report to him and the head of scouting reports to him and the scouting team etc.. 

The head of football or Director of football then reports to the CEO and the CEO reports to the Chairman. Now It's clear the Chairman himself made the Emery appointment (as I think the CEO and Director of Football had more hand in last appointment). So it's a tricky situation to a degree. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He's head of the football department, so the head coach and all the coaching team report to him and the head of scouting reports to him and the scouting team etc.. 

The head of football or Director of football then reports to the CEO and the CEO reports to the Chairman. Now It's clear the Chairman himself made the Emery appointment (as I think the CEO and Director of Football had more hand in last appointment). So it's a tricky situation to a degree. 

I think UE has more say now than before , when it comes to signings.

I expect CP still has to manage the finances, so he will have some say.....but I suspect NS has given UE more clout in transfers.

I hope this doesn't upset the apple cart, and they all see the benefit of it.

On 19/12/2022 at 17:28, useless said:

Edit: I personally am not saying that our transfer policy has been bad, we've made some good signings and maybe some less so but whether that sould be enough to cost Lange his job I don't know and isn't for me to say.

The irony is, the first team signings under Gerrard have been good.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Pretty sure I saw him at Sutton Park this morning watching the mad basterds (me included) jumping into the lake. 

The dough he’s wasted you should have pushed him in. 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

The irony is, the first team signings under Gerrard have been good.

Well I think the issues that were alluded to by Beale was that the players Gerrard wanted weren't signed. I think after our poor start to the season the club probably saw it was a continuation of end of last season and weren't willing to make expensive signings. Gerrard didn't want Sarr and we got Dendoncker. Plus kept Luiz. Bednarek was only signed as last min cover.

On 25/12/2022 at 13:55, CVByrne said:

Well I think the issues that were alluded to by Beale was that the players Gerrard wanted weren't signed. I think after our poor start to the season the club probably saw it was a continuation of end of last season and weren't willing to make expensive signings. Gerrard didn't want Sarr and we got Dendoncker. Plus kept Luiz. Bednarek was only signed as last min cover.

I'm pretty sure SG was instrumental in the Kamara signing.

• Haha 2

Â