Carney Chukwuemeka

Villan4Life

3 hours ago, david-avfc said:

Yeah baffling how one of our best players over the last 5 years, who has 100 PL appearances and nearly 50 international appearances is in the side over an 18 year old who has done nothing

I don't think Gilberto was suggesting he shouldn't have been starting. More... why was he never subbed off when he was blowing out his arse from the 70th minute. Especially so when we had nothing to play for. 

Whether Carney deserved to be the one to replace him I'm not sure. Personally I'd have rather seen Sanson get some minutes. 

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

?? 

He's be a massive loss! Star player of the England u19 team wouldnt be a loss if we let him walk away 

How? 

Bullying under 19’s is very different from PL football. 

He won’t be a loss. 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

?? 

He's be a massive loss! Star player of the England u19 team wouldnt be a loss if we let him walk away 

How? 

It might also deter other youth prospects from staying on if CC moves elsewhere and thrives

Just now, av1 said:

Bullying under 19’s is very different from PL football. 

He won’t be a loss. 

and if he goes and thrives elsewhere because we preferred to play McGinn 90 minutes weekly

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wouldn’t be an immediate loss. Might regret it in a few years.

Would we? He is nowhere’s near good enough for the first 11. So what do we do? 

He's more than good enough for our first team as he's shown in his limited opportunities, he might not be ready to be starting every game, but I'm pretty sure he's not expecting to, but can understand him wanting more game time than he's had.

I don't think him leaving would have the negative impact on our academy that some are suggesting, it wouldn't stop us attracting the best young players, if anything it would help with that, youngsters at the club are going to judge their own situation on it's own merits, they aren't going to want to leave just because Chukwuemeka has left, and if he was to stay other youngsters aren't going to want to stay just because he has.

Losing him would be a massive loss, just based on the fact that he's easily one of the best young players in the country, there are no gaurantees with academy players that they're going to be as good at first team level as they are at youth level, but he's about as sure of a bet than you'll get, he will be a top player I've little doubt about that.

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

In a few years when we're trying to sign a player of his quality for dozens of millions, you can consider that a loss.

The Man Utd approach to running a football club

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

We could have another Gary Cahill on our hands here.  

My thoughts too. But he's definitely not as good as Cahill was, when he wasn't getting in our team. Potential to obviously be much better.

• Like 1

I’m unsure where I stand on this situation with Carney, if I’m honest I would’ve liked to have seen him get more minutes than he has this season, but then he has only really shown promise in glimpses. 

Providing that the club has indeed offered him a new contract, I don’t really see what else that they can do really for a lad of his age and experience.

I’m starting to think that the best thing we can do right now is to sell him (ideally with a buyback clause inserted), and learn a lesson from it - we do not allow these promising young players to get down to their final year of their deal, they’re signed up or moved on.

24 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

learn a lesson from it - we do not allow these promising young players to get down to their final year of their deal, they’re signed up or moved on.

How would we force them to move on? Leave them out the team? ;)

18 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

How would we force them to move on? Leave them out the team? ;)

We can't force them but we could do well to learn from the Chelsea approach to developing players - allbeit a more streamlined version of what they do now that they can't do that anymore - what with the rule changes. 

1 hour ago, Newry_Villan said:

We could have another Gary Cahill on our hands here.  

I don't see the comparison to Cahill.  Cahill wasn't yet good enough to be a starting centre-back in place of Mellberg/Laursen.  He didn't want to stay and wait to get his opportunities when either got injured/suspended.  He CHOSE to go to a lower half club to be a regular starter instead of as backup at a (then) top-six club.  It took him three seasons as a starter at Bolton before he was ready to play at a top-six level.  Cahill was 22 years old when he left us.  O'Neill actually tried him at right-back on the Toronto/Columbus tour in pre-season (presumably trying to get him in the team to keep him happy) and he was awful, even against weak MLS opposition.  And Chukwuemeka at isn't even close to the same age or level yet. 

A lot of people get hung up on the Cahill departure, but the bottom line is he wanted to leave.  His choice. I'm happy for him that he carved out a good career.  

From what I’ve seen of him (not a huge amount I’ll admit), he doesn’t seem ready to be starting games.  I’m not sure what his plan is, move to one of the top 6 to play in the reserves?  A loan move to the championship would be good for him in the coming season ( if it’s a club that can guarantee game time)

Â