Carney Chukwuemeka

Villan4Life

18 hours ago, david-avfc said:

Yeah baffling how one of our best players over the last 5 years, who has 100 PL appearances and nearly 50 international appearances is in the side over an 18 year old who has done nothing

If anything this only reinforces my point. What's the point of giving such a proven player 90 minutes every game? You know exactly what you're getting with McGinn. There wasn't exactly a ton of pressure.

Edited by gilbertoAVFC

4 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

If anything this only reinforces my point. What's the point of giving such a proven player 90 minutes every game? You know exactly what you're getting with McGinn. There wasn't exactly a ton of pressure.

Because we finished 14th in case you hadn't noticed.

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Because we finished 14th in case you hadn't noticed.

Our season was essentially over about 12 games before the end of the season. No need to be sarcastic - many managers give young players a chance in the situation where there is not a great deal riding on the games.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Our season was essentially over about 12 games before the end of the season. No need to be sarcastic - many managers give young players a chance in the situation where there is not a great deal riding on the games.

That's all well and good if you're playing well and in the top half of the league.  We weren't.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

That's all well and good if you're playing well and in the top half of the league.  We weren't.

Guess that's down to philosophy. If it was Grealish against Philogene-Bidace I'd say fair enough. But McGinn has been average and could've done with at least one rest - not a massive downgrade.

Edited by gilbertoAVFC
  • Like 2

For some it will never be the right time to play the youngsters. Either we are to close to the top (European places) or bottom to gamble on it, or we are mid table and that one or two positions up or down are too many millions to gamble with.

Not wrong perhaps, but it also leaves pretty much no way in for any young player wanting to break through.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Guess that's down to philosophy. If it was Grealish against Philogene-Bidace I'd say fair enough. But McGinn has been average and could've done with at least one rest - not a massive downgrade.

I think it's more down to Gerrard, he's only been in the job for 8 months don't forget.  Even though we might not have had much to play for at the end of the season, I doubt he would have seen it that way, he want's to win as many as possible and finish as high as he can.  He obviously wasn't prepared to risk that by playing an in-experienced player in a vital position.

5 minutes ago, sne said:

For some it will never be the right time to play the youngsters. Either we are to close to the top (European places) or bottom to gamble or it we are mid table that one or two positions up or down are too many millions to gamble with.

Not wrong perhaps, but it also leaves pretty much no way in for any young player wanting to break through.

Well the main way is just to be a better player than those in front of you. I’m all for giving players experience off the bench and game time in cups and the odd start to learn the pace of the league but to start consistently you have to earn it by proving you are better than anyone else in the squad. 

From what I’ve seen for all McGinns inconsistencies he’s miles ahead of Carney right now. Carney is going to improve much faster from here for sure but he’s got a long road ahead for him to break into this team. If he does it he’ll have earned it for sure. 

3 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Well the main way is just to be a better player than those in front of you. I’m all for giving players experience off the bench and game time in cups and the odd start to learn the pace of the league but to start consistently you have to earn it by proving you are better than anyone else in the squad. 

From what I’ve seen for all McGinns inconsistencies he’s miles ahead of Carney right now. Carney is going to improve much faster from here for sure but he’s got a long road ahead for him to break into this team. If he does it he’ll have earned it for sure. 

Yes but Sanson looked better than McGinn when he played and he wasnt given game time over McGinn

McGinn is a huge problem at Villa as managers find him undroppable because he is the banter king

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, villaglint said:

Well the main way is just to be a better player than those in front of you.

Gotta be given the chance thou. No 18,19 or even 20 y.o is going to dominate in his first couple of games. Recent example being Ramsey who people claimed was way off after his first couple games this season. Look at him now.

And fwiw this has been an ongoing thing for ages on VT.

Just now, PussEKatt said:

IMHO the trouble with Carney is that he wants "regular first team football " NOW.Without having to actually work his way up and earning his place in the first 11.

phew glad we resolved that.

Can you please show us these quotes when he allegedly claimed this

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yes but Sanson looked better than McGinn when he played and he wasnt given game time over McGinn

McGinn is a huge problem at Villa as managers find him undroppable because he is the banter king

You don't actually believe this? Right?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

You don't actually believe this? Right?

Well at this stage I cant think of any other reasons why he plays 90 minutes every week, never rested, never subbed no matter how crap he has played

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Exactly, we weren't playing well. So change it. McGinn was anonymous in so many games, subbing him for Carney a few more times could have helped on the pitch and given him more reason to feel like he is part of the future here. It was harder to sub Luis because nobody else could play CDM and Ramsey was in better form and more of a goal threat.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Well at this stage I cant think of any other reasons why he plays 90 minutes every week, never rested, never subbed no matter how crap he has played

Well there must be other players who've played worse that get subbed before him, as McGinn is the highest average rating on WhoScored and SofaScore for us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Well there must be other players who've played worse that get subbed before him, as McGinn is the highest average rating on WhoScored and SofaScore for us.

Bingo, Mcginn does a lot of good stuff for us and I think it goes under the radar. The idea of giving chuk his place because he has a bigger ceiling is ridiculous. I respect the potential he has but I don’t think he was anywhere near ready to be starting games this season

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Whoscored ratings are flaws, Jack Grealish was the 20th best player in the league last season according to them, McGinn 21st best player

They werent close

Edited by Zatman

Â