Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

8 hours ago, rayk said:

Just putting this out there.......if the bottom half of the table don’t strengthen materially do you think we will still spend £100m?

I mean right now the recruitment of the promoted three looks pretty poor and same for Spammers, Brighton , Palace and Newcastle.

Maybe we won’t go quite as big this transfer window if we can’t get out no 1 targets??

we will have already defined what we intend to spend, we will have a list of multiple targets and will probably spend whatever we initially agreed to regardless of whether thats on 3, 4 or 5 players etc.

I could be wrong, but i fully expect us to spend 100m (or at least i hope we do)

our spend will certainly not be dicated by what other clubs do.

Edited by MaVilla

1 minute ago, rayk said:

Just putting this out there.......if the bottom half of the table don’t strengthen materially do you think we will still spend £100m?

I mean right now the recruitment of the promoted three looks pretty poor and same for Spammers, Brighton , Palace and Newcastle.

Maybe we won’t go quite as big this transfer window if we can’t get out no 1 targets??

Personally don't think what other teams do in terms of business will have any affect on how we do ours, and rightly so! Only way I see it affecting us in any way is if they directly buy our targets.

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

People declaring this window a failure, or bemoaning our not being able to attract our targets, or questioning whether we can afford the players we need, or whether we need a big name manager, is the equivalent of leaving a game at half time. That we're drawing.

We have 40 days.

Nah not for me. We need a preseason and we got winnable matches we need good players for. Not getting signings in relatively early is not good. 

• Like 2

@MaVilla and @SeanVilla

I guess my point is if we can’t get our preferred targets and none of our rivals are not materially strengthening, will we lumber ourselves with 3rd or 4th choices on 4-5 year contracts.

Other than a ST there is a strong argument NOT *edit*  to go for players just for the sake of it.

Edited by rayk

5 minutes ago, rayk said:

We will go big again this window, we cannot afford not to, its nailed on trouble if we dont add pace and goals to the squad, saving ourselves half way through the final game of the season was the only lesson we needed. We may start the season without getting them across the line, I expect a lot of business at the end of the window though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rayk said:

@MaVilla and @SeanVilla

I guess my point is if we can’t get our preferred targets and none of our rivals are not materially strengthening, will we lumber ourselves with 3rd or 4th choices on 4-5 year contracts.

Other than a ST there is a strong argument to go for players just for the sake of it.

did you mean there "isnt" a strong arguement?, rather than is?

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

We will go big again this window, we cannot afford not to, its nailed on trouble if we dont add pace and goals to the squad, saving ourselves half way through the final game of the season was the only lesson we needed. We may start the season without getting them across the line, I expect a lot of business at the end of the window though.

I hope we will but I don’t want us spending good money on crap like Wes, Samatta and even Trez just for the sake of it because those players cannot be sold once you have them on your books.

• Like 1

We can spend more this window than usual as the FFP is rolled up to next season. It will mean we might need to sell next summer, or spend less, but the hope will be we have a young, improving squad of players more than capable of staying up. Better that than playing safe and circling the drain again.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TRO said:

It seems like no one is short of money and don't need to sell.

maybe the data base experts need to trawl the clubs, who have financial issues.

Valencia are in dire straits financially and have a couple of talents in Kang-In Lee , Carlos Soler, Gonçalo Guedes, as wells as Maxi Gomez ... 

• Like 1

Just now, rayk said:

I hope we will but I don’t want us spending good money on crap like Wes, Samatta and even Trez just for the sake of it because those players cannot be sold once you have them on your books.

We wont, the signings will be incrementally better quality as its a similar pot of money on fewer players. But the players you list are not crap, nor were they poor value. We just had an unfortunate injuries and I would beg to suggest we were set up for a fall by the coaching. Thankfully Smith learned his lesson. Even with the same (fully fit) squad, we will be a better proposition next season.

8 hours ago, rayk said:

@MaVilla and @SeanVilla

Other than a ST there isnt a strong argument to go for players just for the sake of it.

i would disagree, i think we critically need at least one high calibre winger (assuming Grealish stays), as well as a striker and midfielder as minimum.

those 3 positions need critically upgrading.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rayk said:

@MaVilla and @SeanVilla

Other than a ST there is a strong argument to go for players just for the sake of it.

Think we need to if we have any hope of progressing and even convincing Jack to sign a new contract. Whilst I think with this squad we'd have a chance of staying up, it would be another relegation battle, one the owners are not willing to risk. And who knows, our 3rd choice striker could be Edouard at £40mil (i.e Dean sees the likes of Watkins at better value but not prepared to pay the £25mill). Point being doesn't mean our 3rd and 4th choices are bad players. It's not going to the likes of Sturridge thank god.  

8 hours ago, beachboys1 said:

im naturally unpositive considering false dawns

fair enough, depending on  your age i can undersatand that (especially if you are 30 or under), we havent done much for 15 ish years now.....

Just now, thunderball said:

We wont, the signings will be incrementally better quality as its a similar pot of money on fewer players. But the players you list are not crap, nor were they poor value. We just had an unfortunate injuries and I would beg to suggest we were set up for a fall by the coaching. Thankfully Smith learned his lesson. Even with the same (fully fit) squad, we will be a better proposition next season.

They were relatively crap.

But that’s what I mean, we will be better next season and barring a proper ST, I wouldn’t spend £100m just for the sake of it.

I’d be happy spending £60m on three quality players rather than £100m on 5 bang average ones simply because they were available.

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i would disagree, i think we critically need at least one high calibre winger (assuming Grealish stays), as well as a striker and midfielder as minimum.

those 3 positions need critically upgrading.

Yeah I agree on that, but others we could sort out with loans rather than spending another £40m for the sake of it.

Don’t get me wrong if we can bag Edouard, Benrahma and Grujic/Billing/ DCM on permanent deals for £65m-£70m, then I’d be quite happy for loans for another ST/Winger (Brewster), FB and a keeper all on loan.