Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

A top goalkeeper can make all the difference,  and helps breed confidence throughout the back line. A top goalkeeper will organise and calm the defence, as well as make top saves and deal with crosses.

Heaton I trust as our number 1 but has an injury doubt hanging over him at the moment. 

Steer I will always be grateful for his efforts in the promotion run, but is really only good enough to keep as a number two at best. like @KenjiOgiwara mentions, he has a brain fart in him.

Nyland I never want to see in our goal ever again.

If a top goalkeeper is attainable this window we should not hesitate in bringing him in.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind spending up to 20 mill on a proper GK if the right one comes along. A great goalkeeper is able to affect the whole team positively just by spreading that warm and cozy feeling of control and trust that things are taken care of at the back, so even in our situation it could be very well worth it.

There's a definitive chance that Heaton isn't quite at the same level when he gets back, and that he might not ever return there, at the same time, as much as I like Steer and appreciate the job he has done for us, he's less likely to make big mistakes than Nyland, but he's still pretty unremarkable and anonymous.

As a bonus we can have a Keeper garage sale of the "buy 2, get the third one for half price" type.

1 hour ago, rayk said:

But don’t you think we’ll bring in a new keeper now Heaton has confirmed he’s not going to be fit for the start of the season?

Not for one month without Heaton, which is about the time frame.  It's not great that we dont have Heaton but spunking money out for one month.  Yes it's a risk relying on the rest we have but it's also a risk getting somebody else in unless we spend loads and that's wasting the budget when we have other priorities.....maybe a loan but again it's only likely a month without him which looks like 3 games given Man City game is delayed.

12 minutes ago, Gompedyret said:

I wouldn't mind spending up to 20 mill on a proper GK if the right one comes along. A great goalkeeper is able to affect the whole team positively just by spreading that warm and cozy feeling of control and trust that things are taken care of at the back, so even in our situation it could be very well worth it.

There's a definitive chance that Heaton isn't quite at the same level when he gets back, and that he might not ever return there, at the same time, as much as I like Steer and appreciate the job he has done for us, he's less likely to make big mistakes than Nyland, but he's still pretty unremarkable and anonymous.

As a bonus we can have a Keeper garage sale of the "buy 2, get the third one for half price" type.

Given our issues in other areas why spend that on a GK this summer when while a risk, Heaton is back in October all being well.  Let's focus on other areas, get the team up the league this season and then when we are a better prospect and new budget we go after a GK.

• Like 2

Had forgotten about him but just remembered we still have Hogan....

How the hell are we going to get rid of him?

Doesn’t seem like there’d be any takers (unless on loan but that hardly benefits us), could Celtic be convinced to take him as part of a deal (& big fee) for Eduoard? Apparently, Deano & Lennon are good friends (though this could sour that relationship 😆).

Always remember Bilic being after him and he was also quite vocal about it, back when he was still playing for Brentford.

Crazy how badly it worked out really, it was seen as quite a coup at the time & Wyness bragged about it at least on one occasion.

We need to offer him around really...

Edited by Jas10

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Given our issues in other areas why spend that on a GK this summer when while a risk, Heaton is back in October all being well.  Let's focus on other areas, get the team up the league this season and then when we are a better prospect and new budget we go after a GK.

The risk is that it’s longer than a month or not at all. Obviously the medics and coaches are in a good position to assess him. However if we go big on a keeper, you’d have to assume it would be to replace Heaton and his recovery isn’t looking so good. His injury record for a keeper isn’t great after all. 

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not for one month without Heaton, which is about the time frame.  It's not great that we dont have Heaton but spunking money out for one month.  Yes it's a risk relying on the rest we have but it's also a risk getting somebody else in unless we spend loads and that's wasting the budget when we have other priorities.....maybe a loan but again it's only likely a month without him which looks like 3 games given Man City game is delayed.

But that’s Heaton being technically fit.....you day know whether he’ll be back to his prior level after his injury. Also he may get injured again coming back from injury (not uncommon).

So I’m not sure we can take the risk then to January.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rayk said:

But that’s Heaton being technically fit.....you day know whether he’ll be back to his prior level after his injury. Also he may get injured again coming back from injury (not uncommon).

So I’m not sure we can take the risk then to January.

So where do we take the money from? Our owners are rich but there’s a limit and we have financial constraints and we have more pressing areas in the team to address.  We have to buy quality this summer not quantity like we had to last summer.  GK is not a priority based on risk.

8 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

The risk is that it’s longer than a month or not at all. Obviously the medics and coaches are in a good position to assess him. However if we go big on a keeper, you’d have to assume it would be to replace Heaton and his recovery isn’t looking so good. His injury record for a keeper isn’t great after all. 

Guess we’ll have to see if they go for a keeper then.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Yep injuries at that age aren't good. 

But the fact that he's back in training is good news. Might just be that when we are saying mid october we are already being conservative. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So where do we take the money from? Our owners are rich but there’s a limit and we have financial constraints and we have more pressing areas in the team to address.  We have to buy quality this summer not quantity like we had to last summer.  GK is not a priority based on risk.

Exactly, how we prioritise is going to be interesting 

So what is your order of priority and £££ per position?

And for what it’s worth I think the FFP requirements get overstated because there is an assumption the owners don’t inject equity.

But ours do and so we need to bear that in mind as it means much more flexibility.

9 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yep injuries at that age aren't good. 

But the fact that he's back in training is good news. Might just be that when we are saying mid october we are already being conservative. 

Players rarely come back from injury ‘early’....

13 minutes ago, rayk said:

Players rarely come back from injury ‘early’....

They sometimes do but it usually ends in tears. I’d be reluctant to rush Heaton back as the risk of him breaking down again would probably be higher than if he was younger and with a better injury record. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

This is how I see it, its an upgrade on Heaton, we don't know what Heaton we will be getting back or when, its a gamble we cant take, its hard to get it all done in a few windows but as an example, Heaton is the sort of quality we need on the bench.

I doubt anyone anywhere apart from in our boardroom has mentioned our budget this window, no one else knows. I'd be surprised if we are not in the top 2/3 biggest spenders again and it will be a lot more then 100m.

The attacking side of things will be top priority though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rayk said:

Exactly, how we prioritise is going to be interesting 

So what is your order of priority and £££ per position?

And for what it’s worth I think the FFP requirements get overstated because there is an assumption the owners don’t inject equity.

But ours do and so we need to bear that in mind as it means much more flexibility.

Just using names for example, you can put other names I’m not fussed

Striker - Edouard 40m

Wide forward - Rashica 25m

Wide forward - Benrhama 25m

Midfield - Weston McKennie 20m

Outgoing ~ 10m

Total 100m

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Just using names for example, you can put other names I’m not fussed

Striker - Edouard 40m

Wide forward - Rashica 25m

Wide forward - Benrhama 25m

Midfield - Weston McKennie 20m

Outgoing ~ 10m

Total 100m

And that’s perfectly fair but shave 10% off each of those transfers and you have £11m to spend on a keeper.

And if you negotiate one of those buys as an loan with an option to buy you defer the payment for 12 months.....and that may work for one of the wide players.

13 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

They sometimes do but it usually ends in tears. I’d be reluctant to rush Heaton back as the risk of him breaking down again would probably be higher than if he was younger and with a better injury record. 

That was my point. 👍

• Like 1

One of the best pieces of bullshittery i have seen on twitter today was....edsonne edouard would not consider going to aston villa as villa will be struggling again this year but would jump at the chance to play for Marcello bielsa and leeds....jesus wept..i need to have a stiff one after reading that. 

• Haha 4

39 minutes ago, nick76 said:

That's it we should be looking at around four players, five tops if reports of 100 mill are true which I doubt it because I think it's slightly more. Problem is a keeper still doesnt fit in those four or five players because quality needs to be added elsewherefirst. Maybe the sixth player signed but we do need two wingers, a striker, 1x midfielder and a CB at least and then add the keeper.

I'd rather us sign a keeper with whatever is left over. It is not a priority and we do have a youth keeper that's sposed to be pretty darn good, forgot his name, but he was rated to push past the likes of Kalanic, Sarkic and Nyland. So yeah we could forget about signing a keeper and if it comes to it push that lad through. It's about time some youth got some games and they are a way in which to rotate players so that injurys do not occur as much. Rotating with youth allows a good many things to happen, gives experience to some young lads, regenerates first team players. It all allows us to change things up and add randomness to matches, they should not be overlooked this coming season and we should utilise where possible, especially if we do not sign anyone I can see us having no choice.