Relegation thread

Knutserov13

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Xhaka gets a lot of stick but he's key to Arsenal, his passing through the lines is quality. Hopefully McGinn can get in and hassle him as he struggles with the press.

Thought he was woeful in the game down there, didn't they haul him and Ceballos off after an hour? Of course they've improved since then but to me it's nowhere near playing who likes of Chelsea and Man. United have in their midfields.

Arsenal turned the game when they put on Guendozhi who won't be an option tonight. Can never understand why Lucas Torreria is continually benched either.

41 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

‘Surely he cant be any worse’ is the worst and most annoying piece of ‘logic’ that Villa fans spout.

He can be MUCH worse. Shall we play one of the under 7s because they can’t be much worse either?

This doesn't even make sense.

1 hour ago, deeps said:

Watford v City in the last 10 games. They’re gonna win aren’t they ☹️ 

W 0 D 0 L 10
Scored 4
Conceded 39

They should concede 3.9 (round up to 4) goals as an average then. My 0-4 scoreline looks a good prediction. 

This season Watford have beat Man Utd, Liverpool, Wolves and drawn with Spurs twice, Arsenal and Leicester, so they know how to get results against some of the division's better sides. City have been out of form for a few games now as well, Bournemouth were unlucky not to get something from them, unless they improve it wouldn't be all that surprising if a Watford team fighting for the premier league survival and with the novelty a new manager, got a result.

Just noticed that City have also lost nine games this season, they've played thirty-six games, so that's one defeat for every four games they've played, they haven't been the nearly invincible team that they have been in previous seasons.

Hopefully Guardiola will have them fired up, have an important champions league game coming up, don't want to go into that on the back of a string of bad results.

1 minute ago, useless said:

This season Watford have beat Man Utd, Liverpool, Wolves and drawn with Spurs twice, Arsenal and Leicester, so they know how to get results against some of the division's better sides. City have been out of form for a few games now as well, Bournemouth were unlucky not to get something from them, unless they improve it wouldn't be all that surprising if a Watford team fighting for the premier league survival and with the novelty a new manager, got a result.

Just noticed that City have also lost nine games this season, they've played thirty-six games, so that's one defeat for every four games they've played, they haven't been the nearly invincible team that they have been in previous seasons.

Hopefully Guardiola will have them fired up, have an important champions league game coming up, don't want to go into that on the back of a string of bad results.

I'm quite happy that City got beaten at the weekend. Pep does not like losing and will have the players motivated for tonight. He'll have told all of them that they are playing for their places in the Champions League. It could of course go tits up and Watford may get something but the likelihood is very low.

Of course on the flip side, Arsenal are in good form again and Arteta seems to have managed to put some sort of system in place to compensate for their deficencies, with Luiz and Xhaka (two of the most split the fanbase figures in the team) seemingly playing well. If we get out of tonight still with a chance of staying up then I'll be a very happy man.

3 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Most likely outcome is we (i.e Villa and Watford) both lose and it rolls forward to a fairly horrendous nail-biting last game day where we are flipping manically between the Villa, Bournemouth and Watford games.

The horror.

11 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Most likely outcome is we (i.e Villa and Watford) both lose and it rolls forward to a fairly horrendous nail-biting last game day where we are flipping manically between the Villa, Bournemouth and Watford games.

Tbh, I think it'll be more nail-biting if Watford lose and we win today. If both of us lose then basically all Watford have to do on the final day is avoid defeat to stay up, no matter what us or Bournemouth do.

8 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Tbh, I think it'll be more nail-biting if Watford lose and we win today. If both of us lose then basically all Watford have to do on the final day is avoid defeat to stay up, no matter what us or Bournemouth do.

If we do both lose, we have to hope there's a GD swing, even 1 or 2 goals, hopefully more. Also in the back of our minds we have to pay attention to Bournemouth and hope that if they do beat Everton, it's not by a bigger margin than we beat West Ham, if that indeed also happens. In other words, to go easy on our hearts, we need to get something today.

City's line-up...

XI | Ederson, Walker, Garcia, Laporte, Cancelo, Rodrigo, De Bruyne (C), Foden, Bernardo, G Jesus, Sterling.

SUBS | Carson, Stones, Gundogan, Zinchenko, Silva, Mendy, Fernandinho, Mahrez, Otamendi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's such a hectic situation. Our games are more winnable than Watford's, but Watford have more points, and then there's Bournemouth ready to pounce if both of us slip up.

If I had to rank the games based on winnability I'd put it like this:

Us v West Ham (a) - most winnable

Bournemouth v Everton (a)

Us v Arsenal (h)

Watford v Arsenal (a)

Watford v Man City (h)