Relegation thread

Knutserov13

4 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

I love our rose tinted glasses on here. People do realise it’s no forlorn conclusion Watford will get stuffed by city, they could even potentially take points. We will draw or beat Arsenal even though Watford have no chance against them on the last day. And then to top it off we will get a result away against West Ham even though everyone has been saying they have a far superior squad than ours And shouldn’t be in a relegation battle. 

See, I think we've seen more of the opposite to this. 

Lots of people saying that other teams are going to get results and we don't stand a chance of getting anything. And then, people being surprised when other teams don't get a result. Watford, Bournemouth, west ham, Brighton and even Norwich have all got more chance of staying up than us I've read at different stages of the last few weeks.

Also, when analysing performances, the other teams always seem to show fight or something. But we lack it and are awful. Despite us being so much better from the restart.

Numerous times, myself and others have had to point out that this is what a relegation battle looks like. Teams losing games. We aren't 'lucky' when other teams lose. Other results aren't going our way and we are **** up the chances. It's a relegation battle. Lots of teams lose lots of games. The aim of the game is to lose fewer than your opponents. If you lose fewer, you have a chance of then picking up points.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Of course, we've probably got a 10% chance of staying up but you've got to hope as a fan otherwise what is the point.

Let's ask @villalad21 this question. He spends most of his life posting on here it seems but he has no hope. So, @villalad21, what is the point?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

What can clearly not be denied is that Villa absolutely, 100%, have "hope". Whether that hope lasts beyond the next round of matches is another question but all we can do is hope that results go our way. I'd argue that outside of our own results the other results have, Bournemouth v Leicester apart, gone our way. 

When considering Villa's results post-restart people need to take into account we have lost to 4 of the current top 6 in Wolves, Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool. We drew against Sheff Utd, Newcastle and Everton and beat Crystal Palace. I'd say they are all pretty much expected results but, we didn't get battered in the games we lost, which is really encouraging. 

The remaining games, on paper, would usually be expected to bring a defeat or draw to Arsenal and a win at West Ham. If we were good enough to get 4 points that may just prove enough. I think 6 points sees us stay up but 4 points would not be the end of the world as that leaves Watford needing at least a point to stay up with the addition of luck in the gd column. 

If Watford lose by 2 or more goals vs Man City tomorrow night Villa will start the game vs Arsenal knowing that a win by any margin takes us out of the bottom three going into the last game. 

Edited by Villarocker
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

But remember that final game are only days before the Cup Final. Arsenal are more likely to rest players against Watford.

Going to make a comment on your claim in this thread too, since people start might believing you rather than checking for themselves (because why would someone just make something like this up?). In fact, they already have:

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

My point is, if there is a negative angle you always take it.  The opposite might be that if lose to us they only have the Bmouth game To prove who should be selected for the FA Cup game and will go all out to prove they should be selected because Arteta does have a number of options and losing to us will be an embarrassment and players will want to prove themselves.

So let me straighten this out. The FA Cup Final is NOT days after the final game of the Premier League season. It is a week after. Conversely, Arsenal do play against us days after their last match. 3 to be precise.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

If Watford lose by 2 or more goals vs Man City tomorrow night Villa will start the game vs Arsenal knowing that a win by any margin takes us out of the bottom three going into the last game. 

Would we not need to win by 2?

10 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

So let me straighten this out. The FA Cup Final is NOT days after the final game of the Premier League season. It is a week after. Conversely, Arsenal do play against us days after their last match. 3 to be precise.

They also had to do some crazy running against city on Saturday and to a lesser extent against Liverpool last wed.  

They may be better than Villa but their legs will be feeling it no matter what the case is.  Fine margins at this level of football 

Edited by HeyAnty
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

They also had to do some crazy running against city on Saturday and to a lesser extent against Liverpool last wed.  

They may be better than Villa but their legs will be feeling it no matter what the case is.  Fine margins at this level of football 

My Arsenal friend just pointed this out. They've had 30% possession or something in their last two games.

59 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

I love our rose tinted glasses on here. People do realise it’s no forlorn conclusion Watford will get stuffed by city, they could even potentially take points. We will draw or beat Arsenal even though Watford have no chance against them on the last day. And then to top it off we will get a result away against West Ham even though everyone has been saying they have a far superior squad than ours And shouldn’t be in a relegation battle. 

Yep correct - that is why villatalk   is a football forum to share opinions

1 hour ago, Hobbit Feet said:

If England were in a world cup final against a better team would you be as critical of people looking for reasons to hope we might win? There have been a lot of odd results this season—it's not as if the things being described are impossible. A lot has to go our way, but they can. It's entertaining at least.

Got to be honest I’ll be glad when it’s over one way or the other. Cannot stand this much more, woke up and felt like my head was in a pressure cooker after looking at all the permutations possible

• Like 2

Another twist with Pearson getting sacked. That makes Watford weaker in my opinion, a bit of turmoil to unsettle the squad. Fingers crossed that they come up against a chastised Man City team seeking to impress their manager once again. As long as they lose we go to the final game for a survival shootout. UTV

17 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Another twist with Pearson getting sacked. That makes Watford weaker in my opinion, a bit of turmoil to unsettle the squad. Fingers crossed that they come up against a chastised Man City team seeking to impress their manager once again. As long as they lose we go to the final game for a survival shootout. UTV

Depends, he could have gotten the sack for falling out with the squad or parts of the squad for all we know.

2 hours ago, omariqy said:

Haha brilliant.

Arsenal would absolutely love to send Deeney and Co down. 

Have Arsenal even lost at Emirates since Arteta came in? They've taken 7 points from 9 at home since restart. Lost 3 of the 5 games away.

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Depends, he could have gotten the sack for falling out with the squad or parts of the squad for all we know.

Sky sports said 'some of the squad remained behind pearson' or words to that effect. Doesn't suggest the whole squad was behind him. Definite division in that squad.

• Like 2

Well tomorrow night is going to be tense, it's bad enough watching just Villa, but it's going to be even worse having to watch both games knowing they will have such a major effect on our Premier League status.

I often wonder about turning my phone off and taking myself away from the TV for a few hours and then just looking at the scores when it's all done - then if it's a positive outcome could watch it after. It seems the sensible thing to do, take yourself away from all the pressure.

But I never do. And no doubt I will be glued to the TV from 6, sweating on both results, placing numerous bets on Watford and Arsenal to try influence the games (I know it doesn't, but it makes me feel slightly better, not much though!).

Looking on the City forum the fans generally want wholesale changes and are worried on their best players picking up injuries before their tie with Real Madrid - Hopefully Pep see's it differently and whichever team he puts out are up for it to make amends for Saturday.

With regards to this game - If someone offered me a 1-0 City win now I would take it.

Before our match with Liverpool I said we would need 8 points and would need an unbeaten run of 4 games at the end of the season, I stick by that. Although stats suggest we can stay up with 3 points, IMO we need a draw, at least tomorrow, but should be going all out for the win. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Well tomorrow night is going to be tense, it's bad enough watching just Villa, but it's going to be even worse having to watch both games knowing they will have such a major effect on our Premier League status.

I often wonder about turning my phone off and taking myself away from the TV for a few hours and then just looking at the scores when it's all done - then if it's a positive outcome could watch it after. It seems the sensible thing to do, take yourself away from all the pressure.

But I never do. And no doubt I will be glued to the TV from 6, sweating on both results, placing numerous bets on Watford and Arsenal to try influence the games (I know it doesn't, but it makes me feel slightly better, not much though!).

Looking on the City forum the fans generally want wholesale changes and are worried on their best players picking up injuries before their tie with Real Madrid - Hopefully Pep see's it differently and whichever team he puts out are up for it to make amends for Saturday.

With regards to this game - If someone offered me a 1-0 City win now I would take it.

Before our match with Liverpool I said we would need 8 points and would need an unbeaten run of 4 games at the end of the season, I stick by that. Although stats suggest we can stay up with 3 points, IMO we need a draw, at least tomorrow, but should be going all out for the win. 

Pretty much summed up my thoughts. I am really tempted to just not watch. 

• Like 2