Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Closing Leicester schools due to the risk, while announcing fines for parents elsewhere who refuse to send their kids to school, because it's perfectly safe.

Do not trust the government. Take responsibility for your own safety, they can't be trusted.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, bickster said:

Local lockdown in Leicester

Just 11 days after twitter and forums were discussing it.

I’ll tell you what, they don’t **** about these tory ministers, do they?

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Just 11 days after twitter and forums were discussing it.

I’ll tell you what, they don’t **** about these tory ministers, do they?

It was a cracking press up though

• Like 1

Two immediate thoughts on Leicester lockdown:

1 - They are closing schools to all but children of key workers. Why? They have been assuring people that opening schools is extremely low risk, but if that is true, why close them? Children need an education after all. 

2 - Are they going to make any financial accommodations for people in Leicester? For instance, in not enforcing benefit sanctions?

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Two immediate thoughts on Leicester lockdown:

1 - They are closing schools to all but children of key workers. Why? They have been assuring people that opening schools is extremely low risk, but if that is true, why close them? Children need an education after all. 

2 - Are they going to make any financial accommodations for people in Leicester? For instance, in not enforcing benefit sanctions?

3 - will there be police checks on roads out of Leicester? Or just stick with their faith in good british common sense? If you work in Loughborough, can you go to work but not have a pint after work? Doubtless they’ve already got a written up plan for this single city lockdown scenario.

No 5 mile travel limit in england, so I guess they can just drive to Nuneaton for a pub lunch.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

No 5 mile travel limit in england, so I guess they can just drive to Nuneaton for a pub lunch.

I’m not convinced they’ve thought this one through fully...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m not convinced they’ve thought this one through fully...

You shouldn't be. Apparently they informed the Mayor of their plans via a 1 AM email this morning, and as far as I can see, there is no map available publicly of which areas are 'locked down' (and the lockdown also appears to consist of nothing more than locally delaying reopenings, not actually bringing in more restrictions, though again this is quite unclear).

The whole thing seems about as organised as everything this government does, which is to say not at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our kids are at school in Leicestershire, a few miles out of the city centre, but only a couple of miles from Oadby which I've heard mentioned as one of the affaceted areas.  

Surely all that's going to happen this weekend is that the good folk of Leicester are going to visit other local towns and cities, thus exporting their higher levels of infection.

Edited by Risso

8 minutes ago, Risso said:

Our kids are at school in Leicestershire, a few miles out of the city centre, but only a couple of miles from Oadby which I've heard mentioned as one of the affaceted areas.  

Surely all that's going to happen this weekend is that the good folk of Leicester are going to visit other local towns and cities, thus exporting their higher levels of infection.

Local MP claims that Oadby will be covered by the restrictions:

But without a map, there's no certainty.

On your latter point, that probably is what's going to happen this weekend, yes, though I suppose the government are hoping enough people will be 'civic-minded' and elect not to travel to make a noticeable difference to transmission. We'll see whether it works.

And here it is, a mere 12 hours or so after the announcement:

Leicester-C-19-lockdown-boundaries.jpg

The leicestershire.gov site isn't responding when I click the link, so not sure exactly what the black line/red line/grey shaded area represent on the Map Which Has No Key, but I'm guessing the red line represents the areas with the local 'lock down'/delayed reopening?

The black line is I think, the actual city limits.  The red line therefore those areas not actually classed as Leicester itself, but caught by the regulations.

Â