Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Boris Johnson's father has been criticised for travelling to Greece during the coronavirus lockdown. 

Stanley Johnson shared a number of pictures on his Instagram account on Wednesday, showing him arriving in Athens and at an airport in a mask.

He told the Daily Mail he was in the country "on essential business" to ensure a property he rents out was "Covid-proof" before holidays restart. 

But the former Tory MEP has come under fire for breaking lockdown rules.

Liberal Democrat MP Jamie Stone said the incident "stinks of one rule for them and another rule for the rest of us".

The prime minster's official spokesman declined to comment.

Link

He was travelling on the “I know Boris Johnson” visa.

6 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

It's grim up north!

30319496-0-image-a-7_1593704545588.jpg

Look at the numbers, and using red for some of these locations is just scaremongering nonsense. Birmingham and Wolverhampton are both <10 cases per 100,000 people... 10x fewer cases than Leicester.

Most of these authorities should be coloured green - maybe amber for Leicester, Bradford, Barnsley, and Rochdale.

Red was the situation we were in a couple of months ago, when the levels were much higher across the whole country. UK coronavirus deaths and hospitalisations continue to fall steadily week on week:

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/covid-19-death-data-in-england-update-2nd-july/

Deaths-of-patients-in-England-on-2-Jul.p

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Look at the numbers, and using red for some of these locations is just scaremongering nonsense. Birmingham and Wolverhampton are both <10 cases per 100,000 people... 10x fewer cases than Leicester.

Most of these authorities should be coloured green - maybe amber for Leicester, Bradford, Barnsley, and Rochdale.

Red was the situation we were in a couple of months ago, when the levels were much higher across the whole country. UK coronavirus deaths and hospitalisations continue to fall steadily week on week:

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/covid-19-death-data-in-england-update-2nd-july/

Deaths-of-patients-in-England-on-2-Jul.p

Scaremongering? Daily Mail? Well I never...

• Like 1

It's terrible scaremongering, and completely irresponsible. These are the actual changes in infection rate in these areas:

Eb5tbE6XQAAxmP1?format=jpg&name=medium

from Public Health England's Rapid Investigation Team: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/897128/COVID-19_activity_Leicester_Final-report_010720_v3.pdf

You'll notice that all of the top 8 areas are seeing declining rates of infection, in some cases very rapidly (the rate halved in Bedford and nearly halved in Bradford). Only two areas saw a small uptick in infection rates. There's nothing here that would suggest that any area other than Leicester requires a local lockdown, and newspapers should stop scaremongering. 'Of course they are, they're the Daily Mail' is no excuse.

• Thanks 1

We'll also have to see what the actual changes (that are due to come in to effect in 13 hours) are - as yet, still nothing published, I believe.

Lots of 'guidance' but we should be very careful about the notion that these are legal requirements (unless they are made so) - for instance the data collection being asked for by the Government.

Idiocy in this clip:

Johnson reveals he has a mask, takes it briefly out of his pocket, refuses to wear it and talks about how it makes him look. If communicating to the public is important in a crisis, what message are they most likely to take away from this? Is it perhaps 'don't wear it if it doesn't look good?'

Another thing we know is that lots of people don't know how to put masks on properly. This is an opportunity to show people, on video that could then be clipped and broadcast on the news, how to put one on and take one off properly. Guess that wasn't important though.

You just know the dance that is currently going on with tv news crews trying to find what pubs are open at 6:00am to film the people that want to be filmed being the first person having a pint at 6:00am.

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

You just know the dance that is currently going on with tv news crews trying to find what pubs are open at 6:00am to film the people that want to be filmed being the first person having a pint at 6:00am.

Surely they just need to head to the nearest wetherspoons? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Surely they just need to head to the nearest wetherspoons? 

Well, that could result in some 8:00am door rattling

There will be somewhere, likely a Wetherspoons that will be open at 6:00, camera needs to be in there and ready at 5:30 and they need to make sure there are some stereotype punters lined up and happy to be filmed saying something idiotic so twitter can beast them for the day.

’I’ve been dying for this’ is on my bingo card.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's interesting as Portsmouth (where I live) was on "the list" of 36 areas being prepared for local lockdown should things go wrong again from tomorrow (admittedly it is all probably a load of rubbish based on the original article, but Sky News picked up on it).  As a city, we're experiencing between 0 and 1 confirmed cases a day, and have been relatively unscathed.   I'm happy with that, but I'm still not visiting any pubs etc any time soon.  I think I'll let the dust settle on this one.  

Edited by trekka

This is really not the kind of stuff that ought to be coming out midway through a friday afternooon in 'emergency' regulations and without any debate or parliamentary scrutiny.

What are the criteria? If Hatt Mancock thinks it should be so.

• Like 3

Â