Generic Virus Thread

villakram

25 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The leicestershire.gov site isn't responding when I click the link, so not sure exactly what the black line/red line/grey shaded area represent on the Map Which Has No Key, but I'm guessing the red line represents the areas with the local 'lock down'/delayed reopening?

What about the shaded bit?

And I believe that the legal stuff for this will be coming in the next couple of days but there won't be any legal stuff against individual travel 'unless they have to', which probably means they haven't, as yet, got a clue how or if they could do that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sne said:

So I'm guessing the King Power Stadium is within those boundaries? 

Oh very much so. Has the government explained the impact on "project restart" for this? I imagine the amount of planning of this ranges from "none" to "absolutely f*** all".

• Like 1

Just now, cyrusr said:

Oh very much so. Has the government explained the impact on "project restart" for this? I imagine the amount of planning of this ranges from "none" to "absolutely f*** all".

What does this mean for football at the King Power stadium?

Government:

steve coogan shrug GIF

• Haha 3

Just now, Genie said:

What does this mean for football at the King Power stadium?

Government:

steve coogan shrug GIF

Sure it will be fine as long as the players don't stand too close to each other at corners and free kicks 🤦‍♂️

31 minutes ago, snowychap said:

What about the shaded bit?

And I believe that the legal stuff for this will be coming in the next couple of days but there won't be any legal stuff against individual travel 'unless they have to', which probably means they haven't, as yet, got a clue how or if they could do that.

It was just a lucky guess really, but turns out I was right:

The map that shows which exact areas of Leicester and Leicestershire are in local lockdown

'The areas where local lockdown rules will apply have finally been revealed after hours of intense confusion.

A map showing where the restrictions will be in place has been put out this morning - some 12 hours after Matt Hancock confirmed the strict measures to battle the huge coronavirus spike in Leicester.

A map, that featured the Public Health England logo, was being circulated on social media last night but Leicestershire County Council said it was not the official map.

This is the official map which has just been released by the county council. The area inside the red line is the affected area.'

from: https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/map-shows-exact-areas-leicester-4276783

As to what the shaded area is I also don't know, but on another pure guess it might be the boundaries of the city council?

The article confirms your suspicions on travel, I think:

'As a result of a huge spike in cases, non-essential shops have closed, and from Thursday schools will return to teaching the children of key workers only.

Pubs, restaurants, hairdressers and other businesses due to open this weekend won't now be able to.

[...]

Speaking on breakfast TV this morning, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said: "We are recommending against travel unless it's essential but we are not putting measures in place at this stage.

"We will if we have to but I've seen what people did at the start of lockdown.

"It will be kept under review."'

. . . which I think is government for, we have neither the authority nor the organisation to put in place further measures at this time, and we're keeping our fingers crossed that we won't have to get it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

which I think is government for, we have neither the authority nor the organisation to put in place further measures at this time, and we're keeping our fingers crossed that we won't have to get it

And you can bet your arse that if they come to try, they'll be doing it through emergency secondary legislation somehow. :(

Edited by snowychap
lll
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, snowychap said:

And you can bet your arse that if they come to try, they'lll be doing it through emergency secondary legislation somehow. :(

Doubtless. Which means there will be no public debate, which I guess means the criteria for these things will remain obscure.

Have you encountered any of the following, on your travels?

1] An explanation of which criteria are used to assess which areas need a 'local lockdown', and how that criteria is determined?

2] An explanation of the range of possible measures that could theoretically be part of a 'local lockdown'?

3] An explanation of how a decision will be made as to when a 'local lockdown' will end, or how anybody will know whether it was successful or not?

I haven't seen any of this, but maybe I haven't been looking in the right places. Seems like it would be important to communicate it though, given it will potentially affect the lives of millions of people.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Doubtless. Which means there will be no public debate, which I guess means the criteria for these things will remain obscure.

Have you encountered any of the following, on your travels?

1] An explanation of which criteria are used to assess which areas need a 'local lockdown', and how that criteria is determined?

2] An explanation of the range of possible measures that could theoretically be part of a 'local lockdown'?

3] An explanation of how a decision will be made as to when a 'local lockdown' will end, or how anybody will know whether it was successful or not?

I haven't seen any of this, but maybe I haven't been looking in the right places. Seems like it would be important to communicate it though, given it will potentially affect the lives of millions of people.

Hancock gave a statement to the House last night - Hansard:

Mr Speaker, with permission, I would like to make a statement on local action to tackle coronavirus.

It doesn't appear that there are specific criteria rather different assessments:

• Individual cases. Identified & managed by test & trace.
  • 'Many cases' found in one setting - cluster. Dealt with by local director of public health
  •  'Clusters' linked to one another - outbreak. Decisions through local action committee command structure: PHE/JBC/public health director -> local bronze committee -> local silver commitee (incl. CMO) -> local gold committee (incl. Minister).

He confirmed that new measures would be (also from link above):

brought forward with a statutory instrument very shortly, and I commit to keeping the House updated on the two-week review of whether we can lift some of the measures

So, yep not by debate in Parliament but by Ministerial fiat and would just be kept 'under review' by the many layers of bureacracy as described above.

Edited by snowychap
  • Thanks 2

Other things happening in Leicestershire:

Leicestershire care home staff facing sack 'held to ransom'

'About 100 care home staff are facing the sack in a dispute over pay and conditions, a trade union said.

Last month, the Leicestershire County Care Ltd (LCCL) employees were asked to sign new contracts that would see their pay cut by up to 30 per cent.

A worker said they were "being held to ransom" after receiving dismissal letters and being told they would lose their jobs unless they agreed to terms.

LCCL said it was "part of a range of urgent cost-saving measures".

Unison said removing the staff was "a disgrace".

All the affected employees, some of whom have been caring for residents with coronavirus, moved from Leicestershire County Council control when the care homes were privatised

They were told their pay and conditions would not be reduced.

However, LCCL claimed additional costs associated with coronavirus meant cutting their wages was the only way to save homes from closure.

Staff have to agree to changes to pay and working conditions, including the removal of supplements for working night shifts, weekends and bank holidays and reductions in paid holiday, before 4 July or lose their jobs.'

more on link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-53142298

• Like 1

@HanoiVillan (and others, obviously)

This may be of interest from the Institute for Government:

UK government coronavirus decision making: key phases

As the UK government’s response to coronavirus has evolved, it has made a number of changes to the crisis machinery, forums of science advice, and decision-making bodies at the heart of government. Decisions by the UK government were focused on the response in England on many aspects. The Scottish, Welsh and Northern Ireland administrations developed different decision-making structures, though some of the UK machinery was also focused on co-ordination between the four nations.

Since the first discussions about the virus’s spread in early January, there have been four main phases to the UK government approach.

Edited by snowychap
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Announce... and then plan.

What a shit government.

It was worse than that, there was about 3 days of the media telling us the Government were about to do something before the announcement.

• Like 1

The fact that they could see how the virus affected the world. They were warned. They ignored it. Then they got affected by it. Chose to ignore it some more. Shit hits the fan. And now they are buying up medication like there's no tomorrow. Such a well run classy country. God damn banana republic. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah the US buying almost all the world supply of Remdevisir. And someone's gonna make a tidy profit

Is it a proven vaccine? I didn’t think such a thing existed yet so why are they buying it up?

EDIT: I guess it’s a treatment for people with it, rather than a vaccine.

Edited by Genie

Â