Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

You know what, Chris, mate? They should bring back National Service mate. No, no, hear me out. The thing about old people today, Chris, is that they've grown feckless, complacent and idle thanks to their triple-locked pensions, their 'mobility issues' and their Michael Portillo documentaries that are on BBC 1 24 hours a day. But you know what Chris mate, it's nothing that a year of ten-hour, minimum-wage shifts at city centre Wetherspoons on Friday and Saturday nights wouldn't knock out of 'em.

Are you from Erdington and called Peter 😄

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

The extents to which people are prepared to give up privacy and civil Liberty all for the sake of ten days in Benidorm and a pint and a burger in the local Wetherspoons is frightening.

Not as much as the people prepared to give up privacy to surf Facebook on a mobile phone. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Unbelievably irresponsible.

These experts have had the largest stiffy for a year now, keeping us scared.

The problem, IMO, is that the public health have one very specific priority, and their advice should be viewed through that prism. It's not really their job to weigh up the other factors and give the overall best advice, it's to offer advice in their area of expertise.

We should then have a government capable of weighing up different factors to come up with a sound plan which weighs up all of the different advice, but our cabinet are seventy times burnt, seventy one times shy, and appear to have simply abandoned their post and let the public health guys call the shots.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

The problem, IMO, is that the public health have one very specific priority, and their advice should be viewed through that prism. It's not really their job to weigh up the other factors and give the overall best advice, it's to offer advice in their area of expertise.

We should then have a government capable of weighing up different factors to come up with a sound plan which weighs up all of the different advice, but our cabinet are seventy times burnt, seventy one times shy, and appear to have simply abandoned their post and let the public health guys call the shots.

I'm talking more about the claim that AZ doesn't work against the SA variant which is just false.

it seems like any case of Covid (asymptomatic, mild, moderate, severe) is unacceptable for these scaremongers. And their advice/approach is based on that, rather than reducing the severe cases/deaths. 

We need to accept that there will be A level of COVID in society, and that's okay.

People like this clearing in the woods above are dangerous in terms of getting to that point.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Not far off considering the majority of at risk people in the UK have already had 1 jab.

Exactly, and daily deaths are down to double figure numbers.

Wales have relaxed their rules as of tomorrow, expecting and hoping we do the same soon.

I am all for vaccinations and I think people get the vaccine when called up - I know I will. 

So my question is, knowing that Measels can be a deadly disease and statistically kills 1 in 500 people infected, should we introduce Measels passports in order to safely have a pint in the pub?

(Please note the sarcasm in the 2nd sentence) 

Just now, Mic09 said:

I am all for vaccinations and I think people get the vaccine when called up - I know I will. 

So my question is, knowing that Measels can be a deadly disease and statistically kills 1 in 500 people infected, should we introduce Measels passports in order to safely have a pint in the pub?

Noting the sarcasm, but it's a valid point. You could argue the same for anything; should we blanket ban smoking because we know it causes thousands of cancer deaths a year? Blanket ban alcohol because it's likely the biggest killer annually? 

I think we've all lost our minds honestly.

• Like 2

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Noting the sarcasm, but it's a valid point. You could argue the same for anything; should we blanket ban smoking because we know it causes thousands of cancer deaths a year? Blanket ban alcohol because it's likely the biggest killer annually? 

I think we've all lost our minds honestly.

That's exactly the point; we are literally shitting on individual liberties of people like it's no problem whatsoever.

I say we should ban all sugary drinks and snacks, and let's throw in alcohol and smoking - we will save hundred's of thousands of lives, and within a generation, increase the life expectancy by 5 years minimum. 

Some might say that eating crap isn't infectious - say that to an 8 year old who sees his parents do it on daily basis. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Not far off considering the majority of at risk people in the UK have already had 1 jab.

Jury still very much out on how much protection the current vaccines provide against other strains in Europe.

Only 1 small study of younger people done so far found it was only around 10% effective.

If younger people still get it, then I assume older people would too, and it would probably kill a lot of them.

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

That's exactly the point; we are literally shitting on individual liberties of people like it's no problem whatsoever.

I say we should ban all sugary drinks and snacks, and let's throw in alcohol and smoking - we will save hundred's of thousands of lives, and within a generation, increase the life expectancy by 5 years minimum. 

Some might say that eating crap isn't infectious - say that to an 8 year old who sees his parents do it on daily basis. 

Do those things full up 40,000 NHS beds within a few weeks? Does eating a bag of crisps risk your neighbour, friends and families health?

These are silly comparisons.

• Like 2

My kids doing 2 tests a week to go to school, almost throwing up every time, dreading doing them. When we're down to *comparatively against other diseases* almost gone in every metric. I think the government have gone too far now.

If cases started going back up wildly, then start doing twice weekly tests on kids but not right now.

Just now, Genie said:

Do those things full up 40,000 NHS beds within a few weeks? Does eating a bag of crisps risk your neighbour, friends and families health?

These are silly comparisons.

I am sure it will free up far more beds than 40,000 as we dramatically decrease heart disease, cancer, obesity and other major problems. 

Please take my comment with a caveat of taking the argument to it's extreme. But the point is that we are toeing a thin line here, and as soon as we make it compulsory to be vaccinated against COVID, where do we stop?

Would you like to introduce a Flu jab certificate or a Measels certificate?  

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Do those things full up 40,000 NHS beds within a few weeks?

Neither does COVID when you've got the majority of the adult population and almost everyone in the most at risk groups vaccinated.

For the potentially troublesome strains, yes international travel needs to be very closely monitored and restricted where appropriate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Unbelievably irresponsible.

These experts have had the largest stiffy for a year now, keeping us scared.

It keeps them relevant, and I assume, well remunerated. They'll not be wanting to slip out of the limelight. 

4 minutes ago, darrenm said:

My kids doing 2 tests a week to go to school, almost throwing up every time, dreading doing them. When we're down to *comparatively against other diseases* almost gone in every metric. I think the government have gone too far now.

If cases started going back up wildly, then start doing twice weekly tests on kids but not right now.

You have to remember, we’re all locked away and getting thousands of infections, hospital admissions and deaths a day/week.

When the restrictions are lifted these will naturally shoot up.

When people compare to other illnesses like seasonal flu you have to consider you’re comparing one with no social distance restrictions and is allowed to flourish (flu) and another which has been worse even WITH everyone shut away.

We’d have to be much lower than flu being locked away to align with it when we’re free.

21 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Unless you've been vaccinated against ebola, and can prove it, I'm afraid you are not allowed into your local for a pint of Spitfire and a pork pie. 

Deal with it :) 

• Like 1

Â