Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm pretty sure jobs in call centres still exist too (!).

I forgot what they were called at the time, but switchboard and more manual type computing is what I meant - not call centres per se.  

I was working on an AT&T account a few years ago and the staff who'd been there 25+ years used to talk about how many staff they had on switchboard, paper handling admin etc etc - all replaced by one lovely receptionist now, whereas before, it took up a floors worth of people! 

Also car manufacturing, the line used to give thousands of people a job, now machines do the assembly in the large part, those people are gone, not replaced. 

3 hours ago, ismail-villa said:

I just want to go to a restaurant and order a beautiful steak. That's all. :( Also medium, none of that rare business in my steak. 

Looked at it a few times in the last year, others might say different but that for me is something that just won't be the same with deliveroo, there's no way someone can cook a great piece of meat to perfection then stick it in a foil container for 20 minutes and it be the same or still worth the price 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Looking for the page in the bible where it says a church is safe from the virus... 

Cheers ange, Easter out the window too, full lockdown, even the supermarkets are closing 

Wow, supermarkets too? Has the panic buying started yet? Can you get toilet roll from Amazon?

AZ taking a shoeing over here in the US now. That's clearly political too, I suppose. 

"AstraZeneca may have released outdated information on its latest COVID-19 vaccine trial, giving an “incomplete” picture of its efficacy, a leading U.S. health agency said on Tuesday, casting doubt on the shot’s potential U.S. rollout and plunging its developers, once again, into controversy."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-astrazeneca-u-s/u-s-health-body-questions-astrazenecas-covid-19-vaccine-trial-data-idUSKBN2BF0CV

42 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Looked at it a few times in the last year, others might say different but that for me is something that just won't be the same with deliveroo, there's no way someone can cook a great piece of meat to perfection then stick it in a foil container for 20 minutes and it be the same or still worth the price 

Defo not the same, ordered one from Piccolino’s not too long ago and it was nice but nothing like £25 nice, bit dry and overdone (and I prefer it well cooked, generally speaking).

Missus ordered a chateaubriand for my birthday, was delivered from London on the day and was really, really nice, that was just the raw ingredient though, it still had to be cooked (which she nailed).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, villakram said:

AZ taking a shoeing over here in the US now. That's clearly political too, I suppose. 

"AstraZeneca may have released outdated information on its latest COVID-19 vaccine trial, giving an “incomplete” picture of its efficacy, a leading U.S. health agency said on Tuesday, casting doubt on the shot’s potential U.S. rollout and plunging its developers, once again, into controversy."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-astrazeneca-u-s/u-s-health-body-questions-astrazenecas-covid-19-vaccine-trial-data-idUSKBN2BF0CV

A different US study of 32,000 people said it was a bloody brilliant vaccine 48 hours ago.

45 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Looking for the page in the bible where it says a church is safe from the virus... 

Cheers ange, Easter out the window too, full lockdown, even the supermarkets are closing 

The religion stuff pisses me off. 

My mom is catholic and is a very regular church goer (she's only just started attending church in person. First time since we locked down a year go. She's been vaccinated)

They had a big debate the other week about how to safely do the ashes on ash wednesday (for those who don't know you burn the palms from the previous year and the ashes are applied to everyone's forehead in a cross shape. Mental I know)

My suggestion of "why don't they just not bother?" didn't go down very well. That wasn't an option apparently. I don't get it. Like if there was a God, is he going to smite every single catholic down for not putting a cross of ash on their head because of safety concerns during a pandemic? Really? I mean he must have sent the pandemic in the first place so he should have seen it coming. He only has himself to blame.

Also it pisses me off that places of worship are pushing to fully open up or have been allowed to open up. Of all the things out there that have had to close, places of worship are by far the best placed to still get money from their patrons as they can just tell everyone God said they need to keep donating and you're sorted. Businesses can't do that

• Like 2

Yep big thing in Poland too. Throughout every lockdown, churches were allowed to stay open.

The Venn of the  most common age range of church goers and most at risk people is almost a circle.

This lockdown, a left wing politician came out and said 'Even if the govt don't force you to close, you could just, y'know, close down yourselves. Deafening silence.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Defo not the same, ordered one from Piccolino’s not too long ago and it was nice but nothing like £25 nice, bit dry and overdone (and I prefer it well cooked, generally speaking).

Missus ordered a chateaubriand for my birthday, was delivered from London on the day and was really, really nice, that was just the raw ingredient though, it still had to be cooked (which she nailed).

Aktar Islam's Argentinian place does a steak delivery service where you cook it yourself and a Sunday roast kit but I haven't tried either 

I did try his Indian cook it yourself box and it was incredible, both in quality and value 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brommy said:

Whilst the infection numbers were relatively high over Christmas, the large  majority of the UK population have not been infected and are still at risk. Viruses struggle to spread as approaching 80% of a general population have the antibodies. Over Christmas the UK was nowhere near this level of ‘herd immunity’.  3 months and a massive vaccination programme later, the UK is still not near herd immunity. Through vaccination I hope we’ll be very close or have achieved it before the virus finds it easier to spread in this forthcoming winter.

Oh definitely but it does stand to reason that every person who has recently had the virus is one less person who can get the virus so if the virus infects all the ‘low hanging fruit’ it’s going to be more difficult for it to find fresh candidates (but not enough to burn out with herd immunity as you say). 

• Like 1

This was published right at the start of COVID and shows why even just a bit of herd immunity helps massively. In the simulations, treat 'recovered' as 'vaccinated'

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

Still, without any measures to slow it down, covid-19 will continue to spread exponentially for months. To understand why, it is instructive to simulate the spread of a fake disease through a population.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

i think thats why they've done it

they're not open on a sunday anyway or the good friday

I know, same in Poland. I think there's about 4 shopping Sundays a year. Easter Saturday is a half day and Monday closed too but Good Friday is a normal day (boo! Good job I'm still employed in the UK so I can pick and choose my bank holidays).

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Aktar Islam's Argentinian place does a steak delivery service where you cook it yourself and a Sunday roast kit but I haven't tried either 

I did try his Indian cook it yourself box and it was incredible, both in quality and value 

Opheem is amazing. Can't wait until it's open again. In the meantime his boxes of food are the next best thing.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Opheem is amazing. Can't wait until it's open again. In the meantime his boxes of food are the next best thing.

the box sounds like a lot at £60 but its incredible value, 4 of us got 1 big meal out of eat and then my parents froze what was left and got 2 more meals out of it

Â