Generic Virus Thread

villakram

25 minutes ago, BigJim said:

I don't have any theory about a conspiracy, just interested to know which part of the following is fake news? (genuinely interested, honest).

1. The Obama administration placed a moratorium on gain-of-function research after hundreds of scientists voiced fears that accidents could lead to a pandemic?

2. Fauci authorized funding for this type of research on coronaviruses at the Wuhan Institute of Virology?

3. The current pandemic started in Wuhan?

The linking of 2 with 3

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

The linking of 2 with 3

Thanks Bickster. 

I'm mildly surprised though why you would consider the two things a mere coincidence and discard the possibility of a leak which looks more obvious.

• Like 1

Just now, BigJim said:

Thanks Bickster. 

I'm mildly surprised though why you would consider the two things a mere coincidence and discard the possibility of a leak which looks more obvious.

I'm extremely surprised you have actually found a shred of evidence to support this theory apart from the two events taking place in the same region

See what you are doing is similar logic to the following

Edinburgh is built on Basalt rock formations

Basalt Rocks are radioactive

It's dangerous living in Edinburgh because of the radioactivity

The first two statements do not add up to the third, the third is pure supposition based on no evidence at all but because you think the two are connected your brain allows you to think "it must be true"

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm extremely surprised you have actually found a shred of evidence to support this theory apart from the two events taking place in the same region

See what you are doing is similar logic to the following

Edinburgh is built on Basalt rock formations

Basalt Rocks are radioactive

It's dangerous living in Edinburgh because of the radioactivity

The first two statements do not add up to the third, the third is pure supposition based on no evidence at all but because you think the two are connected your brain allows you to think "it must be true"

Perhaps the parallel you draw is fair, perhaps not.

I don't have any evidence really, and I don't think it must be true. However, the link to wet markets could be argued to be just as circumstantial.

8 minutes ago, BigJim said:

I don't have any evidence really, and I don't think it must be true. 

I can respect this view. I've not read and understood enough of the evidence either way to feel particularly strongly about it. If the wet market stuff doesn't pan out, it can't hurt to just double check the lab theory is bogus.

This isn't how you started the discussion though, you used the phrase "looks like Fauci was heavily involved after all" which I think is a claim that can't really be justified.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I can respect this view. I've not read and understood enough of the evidence either way to feel particularly strongly about it. If the wet market stuff doesn't pan out, it can't hurt to just double check the lab theory is bogus.

This isn't how you started the discussion though, you used the phrase "looks like Fauci was heavily involved after all" which I think is a claim that can't really be justified.

The thing is dav, if fauci was involved kets say hypocritically speaking we would never know. He is too high level.

There is a lot of junk out there on youtube social media etc that im not gonna deny but i just fail to believe a virus of this scale was from bats.

But thats just me who knows 🤷‍♂️

• Confused 2

13 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

You are quite right, my bad.

I don't particularly have anything against Fauci, my position has always been that this research is dangerous and shouldn't be allowed. I believe Fauci last year publicly denied any possibility of an accidental leak, and there I think he has been disingenuous. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The thing is dav, if fauci was involved kets say hypocritically speaking we would never know. He is too high level.

What do you think someone is doing to protect him? They need to work harder so people stop talking about it on national television. 

Furthermore, the previous administration *hated* Fauci. they'd have absolutely thrown him under the bus, exposed him and ruined his career if at all possible, surely, yet you think he's so powerful that didn't happen?

but i just fail to believe a virus of this scale was from bats.

You do you, but I think I'm going to favour peer reviewed and published scientific research over gut instinct.

Who do you think manufactured the plague? Were the rats just a patsy? 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Just now, BigJim said:

You are quite right, my bad.

I don't particularly have anything against Fauci, my position has always been that this research is dangerous and shouldn't be allowed. I believe Fauci last year publicly denied any possibility of an accidental leak, and there I think he has been disingenuous. 

Did coronavirus come from a lab?

No, this virus isn’t a bioweapon...

Even the most secure laboratories do sometimes have accidents, and a human-engineered pandemic has been identified as a possible risk to our civilisation, but there is no good evidence that either has happened....

Researchers led by Shan-Lu Liu at the Ohio State University say there is “no credible evidence” of genetic engineering (Emerging Microbes & Infections, doi.org/dpvw). The virus’s genome has been sequenced, and if it had been altered, we would expect to see signs of inserted gene sequences....

New Scientist

The actual Scientific Paper linked in the article says

The emergence and outbreak of a newly discovered acute respiratory disease in Wuhan, China, has affected greater than 40,000 people, and killed more than 1,000 as of Feb. 10, 2020. A new human coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, was quickly identified, and the associated disease is now referred to as coronavirus disease discovered in 2019 (COVID-19) (https://globalbiodefense.com/novel-coronavirus-covid-19-portal/).

According to what has been reported [1–3], COVID-2019 seems to have similar clinical manifestations to that of the severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) caused by SARS-CoV. The SARS-CoV-2 genome sequence also has ∼80% identity with SARS-CoV, but it is most similar to some bat beta-coronaviruses, with the highest being >96% identity [4,5].

Currently, there are speculations, rumours and conspiracy theories that SARS-CoV-2 is of laboratory origin. Some people have alleged that the human SARS-CoV-2 was leaked directly from a laboratory in Wuhan where a bat CoV (RaTG13) was recently reported, which shared ∼96% homology with the SARS-CoV-2 [4]. However, as we know, the human SARS-CoV and intermediate host palm civet SARS-like CoV shared 99.8% homology, with a total of 202 single-nucleotide (nt) variations (SNVs) identified across the genome [6]. Given that there are greater than 1,100 nt differences between the human SARS-CoV-2 and the bat RaTG13-CoV [4], which are distributed throughout the genome in a naturally occurring pattern following the evolutionary characteristics typical of CoVs, it is highly unlikely that RaTG13 CoV is the immediate source of SARS-CoV-2. The absence of a logical targeted pattern in the new viral sequences and a close relative in a wildlife species (bats) are the most revealing signs that SARS-CoV-2 evolved by natural evolution. A search for an intermediate animal host between bats and humans is needed to identify animal CoVs more closely related to human SARS-CoV-2. There is speculation that pangolins might carry CoVs closely related to SARS-CoV-2, but the data to substantiate this is not yet published (https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00364-2)....

Much more on the scientific paper

14 minutes ago, BigJim said:

I believe Fauci last year publicly denied any possibility of an accidental leak, and there I think he has been disingenuous. 

See above post, he wasn't being disingenuous at all, he was refering to peer reviewed scientific research

14 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

What do you think someone is doing to protect him? They need to work harder so people stop talking about it on national television. 

Furthermore, the previous administration *hated* Fauci. they'd have absolutely thrown him under the bus, exposed him and ruined his career if at all possible, surely, yet you think he's so powerful that didn't happen?

You do you, but I think I'm going to favour peer reviewed and published scientific research over gut instinct.

Who do you think manufactured the plague? Were the rats just a patsy? 

I think the hate is fabricated- i dint think its only fauci though i think others from other powerful people are involved. Sounds a bit conspiracy so dont want to go down to deep on that

You go with all the science thats fine. Ill stick with what i read and done lots of research on this.  Bats bloody bats 😂

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

See above post, he wasn't being disingenuous at all, he was refering to peer reviewed scientific research

Since he knew he had funded the research there then yes, he was, by refuting all possibility of a leak. But thanks for posting the research.

Â