The Hung Like a Donkey General Election December 2019 Thread

Jareth

Which Cunch of Bunts are you voting for?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cunch of Bunts Gets Your Hard Fought Cross

• The Evil Abusers Of The Working Man Dark Blue Team
    • The Hopelessly Divided Unicorn Chasing Red Team
    • The Couldn't Trust Them Even You Wanted To Yellow Team
    • The Demagogue Worshiping Light Blue Corportation
    • The Hippy Drippy Green Team
    • One of the Parties In The Occupied Territories That Hates England
    • I Live In Northern Ireland And My Choice Is Dictated By The Leader Of A Cult
    • I'm Out There And Found Someone Else To Vote For

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/19 at 23:00

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Crystal ball time... Labour can not successfully sell corbyn or their brexit stance and split the "anyone but the tories" vote worse than the brexit party manage to split leave voters

Tories get their majority and we leave 

The only alternative is Labour put their cock on the block and go for 2nd referendum and even then I think they struggle to sell corbyn meaning the votes are shared between them and the libs dems and the tories win with a slim majority bringing us back to where we are now 

A weak and shit tories will win thanks to a weaker and shitter Labour 

Sadly, I think this is absolutely correct. 

15 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

This is literally Labour's current policy. 

A 2nd referendum on remain vs a credible leave option that no one knows what that currently looks like or which side of that fence labour sit on 

I don't think labour are clear on their brexit plans and like I said if they are then they are having a struggle to sell it 

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I will be registering for a postal vote.

And me, tories will clean up in my area though despite the current MP being very much a  middle right tory, it being a working class town, him having an expenses scandal and not really doing much 

I think he won the last 1 maybe 2 and before that it was an independent, can't remember Labour or lib dems ever winning it in my voting lifetime

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

A 2nd referendum on remain vs a credible leave option that no one knows what that currently looks like or which side of that fence labour sit on 

I don't think labour are clear on their brexit plans and like I said if they are then they are having a struggle to sell it 

In your second sentence, you said you don't think their plans are clear, but you actually summarised them neatly in the first ten words of the first sentence, so they can't be *that* incomprehensible. 

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That doesn't strike me as unclear in fairness. 

They negotiate a softer deal ('credible'), and put back to the country versus remain. Where they ultimately stand on it I'm not bothered about.

• Like 2

So the snap election back in 2017 supposedly cost £140m for the taxpayers, so something similar this time or more expensive.

Not an enormous sum in the grand Brexit scope of things but still money that could have been needed elsewhere I imagine.

As a non initiate, will this election bring any major changes or will the status quo remain?

Will it be cheaper and more democratic than a second referendum would have been?

Honest questions as I'm trying to keep informed.

Edited by sne

1 minute ago, sne said:

So the snap election back in 2017 supposedly cost £140m, so something similar this time or more expensive.

Not an enormous sum in the grand Brexit scope of things but still money that could have been needed elsewhere I imagine.

As a non initiate, will this election bring any major changes or will the status quo remain?

Will it be cheaper and more democratic than a second referendum would have been?

Honest questions as I'm trying to keep informed.

It's difficult to predict exactly what will happen. It's fairly likely, it seems, that we'll have another hung parliament (though my gut feeling is a slim Tory majority, but I tend to look on the bad side of things). If we have another hung parliament then it's possible nothing fundamentally changes, though Brexit cuts through party lines so it's possible any result resolves Brexit one way or another.

An election rolls the dice in parliament more than anything. The current parliament has become stymied and has no majority for any resolution to Brexit and Brexit has, understandably, dominated all of parliament's time. There's no majority for a second referendum, there's no majority for the government's deal, there's no majority for revoke, and the government is paralysed by an inability to do anything (...Not necessarily a bad thing). Another early election has been inevitable for months, the government is basically impotent and Parliament itself has gone round in circles, so trying to change the numbers is the easiest solution when nothing else can proceed.

About the only prediction that seems likely is that the smaller parties (LibDems, SNP, Plaid Cymru, Greens) will see gains, which in itself probably means a majority of any size looks unlikely for the Tories or Labour. But I'd still stake my last penny on Tories being the largest party, because England is stupid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tories had a monstrous lead before GE 2017. Even more so than now. It's why they called it.

If the 'Remain' (urgh) campaign is on point, there's no reason why there shouldn't be an 'Anti-Brexit' majority.

Although we don't vote directly for them  ,  elections are about the leaders to a degree  .... Corbyn is the most unpopular opposition leader since Michael Foot  , throw in that numbers of his own party don't want him as leader and even a rabid left wing hotbed of duffel coats like VT won't vote for him (sic)  , you can see why you'd want to force that message home  .... Presumably that isn't going to be the sole message of the Tory campaign ?

In all honesty the Tories probably need to focus more on Farage / Brexit party than Labour as up in the racist North that's where the main threat to the Tory party is likely to come from with the "Leave " vote

Edited by tonyh29

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

No We'll have

"We want to get on with it" and "Telling you porkies you'll fall for every single time"

BREXIT IS COSTING US 1 BILLION A MONTH WHILST WE STAY IN

is their latest attack

Objectively wrong, of course, but facts don't matter

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

They appear to be going with the slogan "Britain Deserves Better". 

Which for an incumbent Prime Minister leading a party that's been in Government for nine years shows a peculiar lack of self-awareness. 

And it'll work because people aren't able to think for themselves