Do you read?

Luke_W

Thread title made me instantly think of Bill Hicks lol

"What you readin for?" :crylaugh:

Looks like we got ourselves a reader :suspect:

Currently reading Bill Bryson's Notes on a Small Island. It's a hilarious, quaint and touching view of the U.K by an American who lived here for 20 years and did one last 'lap' before returning home to The States.

Brilliant.

Started reading 'The Liar' by Stephen Fry a few weeks back, not a big fan of stories at all so really struggling.

Also currently re-reading Frank Skinners biog, he's **** brilliant, I could read it 30 times over and not get bored.

He lost his virginity to a whore called Corky. In Aston!

:shock: Stephen Fry did?

Currently trying to dig out a copy of Treasure Island from my ridiculously untidy spare room. In the meantime am dipping in and out of Tales of Mystery and Imagination by Edgar Allen Poe. Read The Gold Bug and the Pit and The Pendulum last night. Magnificent stuff.

I brought Freya North's Secrets a couple of weeks ago, haven't found the will to start it yet. I find it an effort to begin a book. Although on Holiday recently I took 'The Heat Diaries' written by ex Heat editor Mark Frith and could NOT put it down. Alex lost me to that book for about 3 days....

Wasp Factory is a good book to be fair, good shout.

My all time favourite books are:

American Psycho

and

Danny Champion Of The World :oops: haha!

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished reading 'A man in the net' by Patrick Quentin. Very good read, picked it up cheap 1p (plus p+p) of off amazon. If you like crime novels then this book is definitely for you. Started reading The Rotters Club the other day. Can't believe i haven't read it before, can't put it down.

Having just finished a FLashman, I'm terribly excited about which book to read next.

I've started too many that have been abandoned because previously I wasn;t in the mood. Now I think my choices are from:

renewing Crime and Punishment

Shantaram

The Neverending Story ( :lol: )

or finishing off Candide. ( i know it's short, I just for some reason didn't finish it! )

Just finished reading 'A man in the net' by Patrick Quentin. Very good read, picked it up cheap 1p (plus p+p) of off amazon. If you like crime novels then this book is definitely for you. Started reading The Rotters Club the other day. Can't believe i haven't read it before, can't put it down.
Every Brummie (especially those of my generation) should read The Rotters' Club. Captures a time and a place brilliantly.

Could I recommend a book that would satisfy the Sci Fi fans and Mr Mooneys interest in dystopian(love that word) settings.

Try "Neuromancer" William Gibson.

Was going to read a bit more this afternoon but have done 67 miles on bike @ 17.3 average and cant lift it up now !

Could I recommend a book that would satisfy the Sci Fi fans and Mr Mooneys interest in dystopian(love that word) settings.

Try "Neuromancer" William Gibson.

Was going to read a bit more this afternoon but have done 67 miles on bike @ 17.3 average and cant lift it up now !

Yeah, I've read it. Excellent book, arguably the very beginning of "cyberpunk".

BLOOD MERIDIAN by Cormac McCarthy.

One of the deepest, sickest, goriest, grimmest books I can ever remember reading. Imagine being the last man on Earth, stranded in the middle of some Mexican desert somewhere and having to come to terms with the fact you are going to have to eat your own limbs to survive. That's how the book makes you feel.

It's also fooking genius. I've never read a more graphic detailing of pure violence in all my life.

I like the sound of that! Just finished reading The Road. It is one of the bleakest books I have ever read but I can't recommend it highly enough. I've never read anything that makes you care so much about the main protagonists.

As mentioned earlier Shantaram is an epic. The author is one crazy smackhead gora.

Got The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists by Robert Tressall to read next (after shamelessly abandoning it a couple of years ago).

Lanark by Alasdair Gray is also gathering dust in my house.

In the middle of 'The Great War For Civilisation' by Robert Fisk, a journalist who spent 30 years in the Middle East reporting for the Times and Independent. Really good read, he's gotten some fantastic stories, met Bin Laden three times (before he attacked the US of course), met lots of high up people in Iran and Iraq. Really enjoyable political history.

And I'm taking on holiday 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time' by Mark Haddon. Heard it's very good.

any read the time travellers wife? the gf has been told to pick it up and give it a read

Really enjoyed it. I recomend it definitely.

I've just finished The American Future by Simon Schama. Absolutely fantastic. He really knows how to make history into a page turning experience. I was nearly crying at one point but then I'm a soft bastard.

Started reading 'The Liar' by Stephen Fry a few weeks back, not a big fan of stories at all so really struggling.

You finished that book yet Trim? I bloody loved it! :D

Girlfriend bought me this the other day, but I want to read 'Moab is my Washpot' first and I'm waiting for it to be delivered.

Girlfriend bought me this the other day, but I want to read 'Moab is my Washpot' first and I'm waiting for it to be delivered.

I found it quite dull - the stories are far more entertaining. I was surprised just how dull I found Frys autobiog tbh.

Â