Do you read?

Luke_W

I finally got around to reading 1984 by Orwell. It was every bit as good as I'd hoped and more. Finished it in three sittings.
Did you read it in Norwegian, or in English?

English.

I would never read a book by an English speaking author in Norwegian.

Ah finally VT Book snobbery to go with VT music snobbery :-)

I think Archer is the worst writer I have ever read, by some margin. I actually read two of his, because I thought the first one had to have been a "blip" - NOBODY could be that bad a writer and sell so many books. The second one convinced me.

Ah finally VT Book snobbery to go with VT music snobbery :-)

I think Archer is the worst writer I have ever read, by some margin. I actually read two of his, because I thought the first one had to have been a "blip" - NOBODY could be that bad a writer and sell so many books. The second one convinced me.

Definitely sounds like snobbery to me.

its a great page-turning read.... what more do you want.... its called entertainment. Like Da Vinci code - another page-turner, and great book because it does its job perfectly.

Dan Brown was the second-worst. :|

its a great page-turning read.... what more do you want.... its called entertainment. Like Da Vinci code - another page-turner, and great book because it does its job perfectly.

Dan Brown was the second-worst. :|

snob. :winkold: :P

BLOOD MERIDIAN by Cormac McCarthy.

One of the deepest, sickest, goriest, grimmest books I can ever remember reading. Imagine being the last man on Earth, stranded in the middle of some Mexican desert somewhere and having to come to terms with the fact you are going to have to eat your own limbs to survive. That's how the book makes you feel.

It's also fooking genius. I've never read a more graphic detailing of pure violence in all my life.

One of the deepest, sickest, goriest, grimmest books I can ever remember reading. Imagine being the last man on Earth, stranded in the middle of some Mexican desert somewhere and having to come to terms with the fact you are going to have to eat your own limbs to survive. That's how the book makes you feel.

It's also fooking genius. I've never read a more graphic detailing of pure violence in all my life.

Yep. Fantastic book. I believe "The Road" is equally impressive-but-grim.

Cormac McCarthy is excellent.

I got into him through No Country, but I think All the Pretty Horses and The Road are his masterworks.

Have you read American Psycho?

The movie is awful, dont have any preconceptions of the book if you have only seen the movie. They are so different its unbelievable, Bateman is an entirely different character. He is painted as some pathetic comedy character in the film He is an evil, cold bastard in the book. That version of Bateman would have been utterly unlikeable on film, so I can kinda see why they changed him even if I dont like it.

I read the book when I was about 17, a couple of years before they filmed the movie. There were parts of the book that actually made my stomach churn. All of those were cut out of the movie. The scene with the nail gun, a hungry rat, a length of drainpipe and a chainsaw still lives with me now. :wow:

Started reading 'The Liar' by Stephen Fry a few weeks back, not a big fan of stories at all so really struggling.

Also currently re-reading Frank Skinners biog, he's **** brilliant, I could read it 30 times over and not get bored.

Just finished reading a recent book by Jeffrey Archer called " A Prisoner of Birth".

Fantastic book, one of the best i have read in the past couple of years.

i would recommend everyone reads it.

kind of a legal murder revenge thriller.

Always reminds me of a prank phonecall I once heard.

*man calls bookshop. Sound of phone ringing.*

- Hello, Waterstones Croydon.

- Hello there. Do you have any good books by Jeffery Archer?

- Of course sir, I can recommen-

-STOP TALKING BOLLOCKS, THE TALENTLESS CRETIN NEVER WROTE ANY!

*sound of man hanging up.*

:lol:

Started reading 'The Liar' by Stephen Fry a few weeks back, not a big fan of stories at all so really struggling.

Also currently re-reading Frank Skinners biog, he's **** brilliant, I could read it 30 times over and not get bored.

He lost his virginity to a whore called Corky. In Aston!

I can recommend 'Child Of God' & 'Outer Dark'. Unsurpassed in terms of human poverty and desperation.

Currently reading The American Future by Simon Schama. I've read loads of his stuff and he seems to have really struck a balance between readability and information in this one. It's basically explaining why America is the way it is now, but he does it through the eyes of individuals; it's almost like reading a whole load of mini biographies that together tell a bigger story, so for those of you who like biographies, give it a go.

Â