Do you read?

Luke_W

Thread revival ftw.

Finished both Lolita and All The Pretty Horses and recommend them both, Lolita is quite brilliantly written despite it's controversial subject matter. As for ATPH, well McCarthy doesn't need any further praise IMO.

Will go through the rest of the Border trilogy in due course, but I'm in the mood for some proper punctiation so I need some recommendations for what to buy!

Currently on my to do list is The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath so I may buy that and Ernest Hemingway is a name that keeps popping up but I don't know where to start/what to expect :\

I'll join in then CED if you don't mind. I've just got a late Christmas present in Unseen Academicals, the most recent Terry Pratchett - obviously a football satire, but I'm only about 3 pages in so far: "The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football."

Also have Richard Evans' "Third Reich at War" to start, but I'm rereading the previous one for a refresh, so it'll have to wait. As an aside, I've been going to his Gresham College Lectures on 19th century European wars and they're absolutely fascinating.

Oooh, good timing chaps. I have just finished - today! - two books:

A. N. Wilson's "Our Times" - the final part of his historical trilogy on the period from Queen Victoria to now. Easily the weakest of the three, due to his self-conscious attempt to be controversial and clever. Also full of errors. Still pretty entertaining though.

Hemingway's "Fiesta (The Sun Also Rises)" - Can't get enough Hemingway. Five stars.

Which means I am in that blissful moment - BETWEEN BOOKS! Dozens - no, **** that, HUNDREDS - to choose from for the next read(s). What will it be...? Off to browse....

almost finished reading the ultimate hitchhikers guide to the galaxy

been meant to read adams for years but never got round to it, its absolutely brilliant

Don't dismiss the often overlooked Dirk Gently books either. They are IMHO at least the equal of the HHGTTG series.

I am in that blissful moment - BETWEEN BOOKS! Dozens - no, **** that, HUNDREDS - to choose from for the next read(s). What will it be...? Off to browse....
And the winner is....

41XS17H5PJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Really annoying - finding it so hard to make time to read atm - despite having so many awesome books lined up to read. Still haven't finished Brysons A Short History of Nearly Everything.

Ran through The Road in jan quickly and "enjoyed" it as much as you can enjoy that book, and recently finished The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman ( typical Gaiman ) and 'Last Bird Singing' a book set in Cardiff and a very miserably bleak existentialist look at this chaps **** ups. A bit too bleak and overly 'poetic' for me, riddled with too many metaphors and overcooked imagery.

Really looking forward to starting some more novels, when time allows. Damn work :(

Still haven't finished Brysons A Short History of Nearly Everything.
This. It's in my "toilet library" of books that can be read in small segments - but so are dozens of others which I have started and not finished.

Being a toilet book, I'm sure it will float to the top eventually. :lol:

Just finished this. Brilliant book.

It is a conspiracy thriller set in an alternate history Berlin, in which Germany were victorious in the second world war.

Yeah, I enjoyed "Fatherland", although it was many years ago when I read it. I have "Imperium" (the first in his trilogy about Cicero) on my longlist.

Just finished this. Brilliant book.

It is a conspiracy thriller set in an alternate history Berlin, in which Germany were victorious in the second world war.

Yeah, I enjoyed "Fatherland", although it was many years ago when I read it. I have "Imperium" (the first in his trilogy about Cicero) on my longlist.

Thirded. Long time since I read this book but it was good. Quite a good film too, with Rutger Hauer. I've read a couple of Harris' books and I think he's quite good at coming up with an interesting story. Saw he had another one that I haven't read so I'll look out for that one.

In the middle of Hunt for Red October and so far so good, I have to say. Better than the other book I've read by Clancy, Rainbow six. Never got exciting.

I'll join in then CED if you don't mind. I've just got a late Christmas present in Unseen Academicals, the most recent Terry Pratchett - obviously a football satire, but I'm only about 3 pages in so far: "The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football."

Read that when it came out, being a massive Pratchett fan. It's not his best, and it's it not really that much about football, more the culture of football as well as the idea of fame and identity. It's not his best to be honest but it's enjoyable enough.

Sigh. One day I will read one book at a time.

I have only ever read one at a time but I now use an e-reader, so that's for travelling and the backlog of 'real' books I have are for home (where I previously didn't really read).

So 'real' I have just finished Ozzy Osbournes biography. I'm a bit of a Sabbath fan and I always feel comfortable with books containing Birmingham references. Next up is Andrew Marr's 'History of Modern Britain'

On the e-reader I have a James Patterson on the go, which will be finished on tomorrow evening's flight, so I am off to download some others.

On the 'Fatherland' discussion Len Deighton wrote SS-GB several years ago, which was a hypothetical 'if the Germans had invaded' Lots of Birmingham references in that one as well.

I need to read for an hour at least before sleeping, its a habit since I was a kid. I am mostly into pop horror/scifi stuff, Stephen King being one of my favs. Incidentally, I am currently reading 'Insomnia' by King and it is far from his best , I must say.

'The Shining' and 'It' are still his best creations.

Also an avid reader of Arthur C Clarke , the best proper sci fi author of the modern generation.

Â