Players in the England squad

andycv

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

How far off spurs for most capped players are we now? 

Tottenham have supplied 78 players

Corinthians 76 players

Liverpool 74 players

Aston Villa 73 players

As of 9th June 2019. I assume they need to be capped to count. So we go in to third place if both Heaton and Mings earn a cap as I understand it. No new Liverpool caps possible?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Tottenham have supplied 78 players

Corinthians 76 players

Liverpool 74 players

Aston Villa 73 players

As of 9th June 2019. I assume they need to be capped to count. So we go in to third place if both Heaton and Mings earn a cap as I understand it. No new Liverpool caps possible?

Why are Corinthians on the list?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

If Butland was a transfer target for us he must be well pissed off. Ming's is  deserving of a call up. Jack ....not yet he needs to establish himself by keeping us up (from a selfish point of view) 

I have no doubts at all that Jack will get his call up and become a regular for England , Southgate will pick on merit and having watched him for his early career he has shown enough, he's our version of Gerrard ( but better 😬

6 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Mount called up ahead of Grealish, eh.......kinda wonder how much of that is big club bias.

no way did he have a better season than grealish last year.

More like Villa bias. Mount has been in sensational form this season and fully deserved. 

• Like 1

He's playing well and deserves his chance just as much as anyone, but I think 'sensational' is taking it a bit too far. He also has several advantages over Grealish one being that he's playing for a team that finished fourth last season and won the Europa league, so has better players to play with than Grealish, and also he's been virtually playing as a second striker for Chelsea, so he's more likely to be amongst the goals and assists and therefore more likely to attract attention.

Besides if Grealish is in competition with Mason and Maddison for a place in the England team then he has a problem as they play pretty much behind a striker, or as wide forwards, whereas Grealish is part of a midfield three.

2 hours ago, jim said:

More like Villa bias. Mount has been in sensational form this season and fully deserved. 

How does Barkley get in? Only played 90 last game. Not even used second game and sub appearance in first 

10 hours ago, tinker said:

Southgate will pick on merit

Perhaps he will now that we are back in the PL and he can't use the excuse that we're not in it, as a reason not to pick our players any longer. The early signs are good, but it still helps if you are playing for one of the Sky six, as the selection of Barclay and Lingard  demonstrates.

14 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I wonder how many captains of the side crowned champions of Europe never received a full international cap. Who else is in that group with Sir Dennis...

I think about it any time an English team wins the EL or CL and you sift through their 4/5 English players

mad to think the only player from a European cup winning team picked to play at the euros was a striker as 3rd choice (not sure if he played?) 

even the scots didn't get many, the most capped player in that 82 team was withe with 11, cowans got 10, no one else made it to double figures

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

Surely the only one?

I really don’t know, it was the reason I posed it as a question rather than a statement to be honest (I was hoping someone much more knowledgeable than me could confirm). I’d be surprised if there was another British European cup winning captain who hadn’t been capped anyway.

As @villa4europe points out a lot of the players from that side missed out or didn’t receive as many caps as you would think a title and European cup winning side should do.

13 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I really don’t know, it was the reason I posed it as a question rather than a statement to be honest (I was hoping someone much more knowledgeable than me could confirm). I’d be surprised if there was another British European cup winning captain who hadn’t been capped anyway.

As @villa4europe points out a lot of the players from that side missed out or didn’t receive as many caps as you would think a title and European cup winning side should do.

I've had a look through  many of the European Cup winning captains I am not familiar with and they all seem to be capped. A bit sad really.

• Thanks 1

lingard is the epitome of english mediocrity.

He's lucky Pogba is still taking all the flack from the haters at manutd. once he goes there will be no hiding space and lingard will be shown up for what he is... absolute garbage. end up somewhere like bolton wanderers whilst doing pundit work for bt sports and flogging his clothing range in sports direct.

Another bang average over hyped square ball playing english midfielder straight out of the jordan henderson text book is Harry Winks. It's obvious how these guys get picked for england.

Â