Cameron Archer

Zatman

Can understand Aaron Ramsy's move, don't understand this one.

We will need to bring in 2 forwards in less than a week if this happens. 

If Watkins gets a long-term injury we are in trouble.

Cam has never been given a proper chance for Villa and letting him go this early in his career seems a risk.

I think we're seeing the last step in meeting Purslow's famous 'if you're not around the first team by 18, the you aren't good enough' strategy.

The players we're selling are the ones that could've been doing that, but weren't.  A bit sad, as they're good players and it's nice to see them come through, but ultimately we are being a bit more ruthless whilst still holding a bit of control with the buy backs. 

The 'new' youngsters like Feeney, Smith, Kellyman, Wilson, Young, O'Reilly are the ones expected to break through before 20 imo and this clears the way for them.

...and if they don't, sell for a bit of profit each time. 

5 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Reminds me of this

DkGzaTiWsAUsT1r.jpeg.b0e0d2347c960564c70b2997c42d88d8.jpeg

Sheffield United have agreed a fee with Aston Villa for striker Cameron Archer.

There are still some final elements of the deal to conclude - but he is close to signing for the Blades.

Cameron Archer: Sheffield United agree £18m fee for 21-year-old Aston Villa striker | Transfer Centre News | Sky Sports

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Cam has never been given a proper chance for Villa and letting him go this early in his career seems a risk.

We have Watkins and Duran for the main ST position. Surely only need 1 more at most.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Why do we need to bring in " Two forwards " ?

Duran is/was obviously ahead of Cam in the pecking order.

Zaniolo can play as a forward, and i'm pretty sure we will make another couple of signings.

Also the obvious aspect of getting good money and helping with FFP

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Shocked we getting 18 million but suppose as was expecting him to go to a  Championship team

At least not Leeds is a double bonus

I look at it as Abraham was being touted at 25m after having a good couple of seasons in the championship. Whether that would have been an accurate price, we won’t know. But that was the number doing the rounds.

That was four years ago and transfer fees haven’t exactly gone down in that time.

Factor in Abraham probably had/has a higher profile, a stronger goal scoring track record and that Chelsea are fairly good at selling players, 18m or so for Archer seems roughly right.

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

2 strikers for hopefully a 50 plus game season and one of which is 19?

Yeah that's why I suggested I'd like 1 more. But if not I suspect we'll see Zaniolo lead the line.

Edited by villan95

What are Sheff Utd's current strikers?  Any good?  Will he get play time there?

I think this is a great move and the academy coaches should be very proud they are giving our kids professional careers. 

We have Duran as our young striker (who offers more physically than Cam), and Traore can play striker if he doesn't leave, plus Zaniolo can play up top - we're kind of set.  

If he does get game time at Sheff Utd, he'll have a full prem season under his belt at 22.  I see them as a more old-fashioned kind of play style too, so he'll get chances presumably. 

The buy back is good insurance if he absolutely storms it and in the mean time, we get a good fee for someone a few years ago we'd have kept around, gathering dust before letting them go on a free.

WELL DONE VILLA (and congrats to Cam!) 

4 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

What are Sheff Utd's current strikers?  Any good?  Will he get play time there?

I think this is a great move and the academy coaches should be very proud they are giving our kids professional careers. 

We have Duran as our young striker (who offers more physically than Cam), and Traore can play striker if he doesn't leave, plus Zaniolo can play up top - we're kind of set.  

If he does get game time at Sheff Utd, he'll have a full prem season under his belt at 22.  I see them as a more old-fashioned kind of play style too, so he'll get chances presumably. 

The buy back is good insurance if he absolutely storms it and in the mean time, we get a good fee for someone a few years ago we'd have kept around, gathering dust before letting them go on a free.

WELL DONE VILLA (and congrats to Cam!) 

Yeah looks like they need him

Screenshot_20230823-123816-079.thumb.png.14968715624e6012509c2b40b595e9e0.png

I do think they're in for a real struggle of a season though and reckon he'll do well to score 5 goals.

• Confused 1

We've seen ao far this season that all 5 of our goals have come from different players.

We aren't dependent on Watkins as a goal scorer. We are dependent on him pressing the defence to prevent them having the time to pick out a long pass over our high line. 

The kind of skillset we need for our preferred style of play isn't made any weaker by selling Archer. 

We lost an option to change it up, but it seems Duran is favored for that option. The way Archer was only brought on because of an injury tells us he's not in Emery's preferred first or second choice plans. 

I'll be sad to see him go, but seems its for his benefit if he does. Although Aaron's latest tweet may suggest that's not quite the done deal the news is reporting... hmm. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, villan95 said:

We have Watkins and Duran for the main ST position. Surely only need 1 more at most.

We have Watkins and Duran as you say, and then we have Traore as backup. Archer’s talent was wasted as a backup player and if we sign another out and out at striker that means Duran slips to third choice which gives us the same dilemma as we did with Archer.

• Like 1

Â