The Amazon Rainforest

maqroll

Is burning down. The earths largest oxygen provider.  Bolsonaro seems content to let what he cant profit from burn. The global right wing is a very serious existential threat.

• Sad 1

End of Days. I think it's too late to save anything now and I'm talking about the planet as a whole not just the amazon. We've **** the oceans up, we've destroyed the earth itself exhausting natural resources, we've crippled the environment with global warming. We are a scum species.

• Like 4

Obviously it's far from great but there seems to be some suggestions that it's not as bad (compared to many other years) as is being reported - largely on social media. Two widely shared images for example are actually several years old. In fact, the trends more recently have seen deforestation through fire decrease.

We're destroying the planet no doubt, but things get very easily spread (like wildfire HAHAHAHA) without context.

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

End of Days. I think it's too late to save anything now and I'm talking about the planet as a whole not just the amazon. We've **** the oceans up, we've destroyed the earth itself exhausting natural resources, we've crippled the environment with global warming. We are a scum species.

But yay capitalism right?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Troglodyte said:

Obviously it's far from great but there seems to be some suggestions that it's not as bad (compared to many other years) as is being reported - largely on social media. Two widely shared images for example are actually several years old. In fact, the trends more recently have seen deforestation through fire decrease.

We're destroying the planet no doubt, but things get very easily spread (like wildfire HAHAHAHA) without context.

Not sure you can say it's "not as bad as being reported." Theres a 98% consensus among scientists that global warming is happening as a direct result of humans burning fossil fuels. The last 5 years were the hottest ever recorded.

The last 2 years have seen an increase in urgency by the majority of scientists saying that this is happening more quickly than even the most radical models predicted. The Arctic is on fire, fresh water is pouring into the oceans and sadly the world seems to have decided that the best folks to have in charge are people who are putting their fingers in their ears and going LaLaLaLaLa.

This is an emergency that is already affecting people today and will only get worse in our lifetimes.

• Like 2

We don't breathe any of the oxygen that is produced by the Amazon rainforest anyway, so don't worry about that, the oxygen can't escape the rain forest.

But, we definitely need to worry about the amount of co2 burning the forest is producing, so worry about that.

57 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

We don't breathe any of the oxygen that is produced by the Amazon rainforest anyway, so don't worry about that, the oxygen can't escape the rain forest.

But, we definitely need to worry about the amount of co2 burning the forest is producing, so worry about that.

Who's "we"?

5 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

We did all of that in just the industrial age which is a snip in human history let alone the history of the planet. Our greed will end in our demise, and pretty sharpish. What a shame.

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Not sure you can say it's "not as bad as being reported." Theres a 98% consensus among scientists that global warming is happening as a direct result of humans burning fossil fuels. The last 5 years were the hottest ever recorded.

The last 2 years have seen an increase in urgency by the majority of scientists saying that this is happening more quickly than even the most radical models predicted. The Arctic is on fire, fresh water is pouring into the oceans and sadly the world seems to have decided that the best folks to have in charge are people who are putting their fingers in their ears and going LaLaLaLaLa.

This is an emergency that is already affecting people today and will only get worse in our lifetimes.

I'm not talking about global warming; it's preposterous for anyone to suggest that's not happening. I was specifically referring to the recent reports on this year's fires in the Amazon.

Twenty years ago I used to worry about the state the planet would be left in for my potential grandchildren.

A few years later I started to worry for my children.

Ten years ago I started to worry for myself.

Now I worry for my parents (both well into their 70s).

It's utterly breathtaking just how monumentally fcuking stupid our species is.

• Like 1

Yeah actually it does seem horrifically bad. It's just that the scale of these fires had been on the decline and it wasn't uncommon for it to be this bad a decade ago - plus old pictures had been spread purporting to be recent.

Bolsonaro is a dick.

17 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Earth will be fine. Through billions of years of natural disasters, meteors, moving tectonic plates, volcanoes, moving magnetic poles, earthquakes, solar waves boiling the planet, it has survived it all.

Carbon Dioxide and some plastic really isn't going to 'destroy the planet'. We take far too much credit for our efforts. In the grand scheme of things, we are no more than a bad case of flees that the 'planet' has to deal with.

It's the people that will be fu****, not the planet.

• Like 4

On 23/08/2019 at 12:18, Mic09 said:

Earth will be fine. Through billions of years of natural disasters, meteors, moving tectonic plates, volcanoes, moving magnetic poles, earthquakes, solar waves boiling the planet, it has survived it all.

Carbon Dioxide and some plastic really isn't going to 'destroy the planet'. We take far too much credit for our efforts. In the grand scheme of things, we are no more than a bad case of flees that the 'planet' has to deal with.

It's the people that will be fu****, not the planet.

Yes, this is right. As I saw somewhere else (sadly I can't remember where) we are 'spoiler of nest' not 'destroyer of worlds'. 

• Like 1

Â