Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

It could have been double figures if we were better at finishing, good win though and hopefully a confidence boost. Also good to see Gielnik back from injury, was her first game since scoring the winner against Brighton in September, given that she's our only out and out striker probably fair to say that we've missed her.

• Like 1

Tottenham will be favorites against us, but that's a game we should be looking to get something from, they didn't finish that many points above us last season, and despite us being third from bottom and them being fourth, there are only four points between us at the moment, plus we have home advantage.

Not that I'm too hopeful, just saying in theory we should be capable of getting something. Our problem has been scoring goals, just five in eight games, hopefully Gielnik returning will help us on that score, if not scoring herself at least holding the ball up well and giving our other attackers a better chance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

Blues ladies having a good go against Man City this afternoon. Currently winning 2-1 but they’re still in the first half.

We could do with them losing though, as we have a tough fixture later today against Spurs.

They lost 3-2. We don't really need to worry about ending the season below them this season, we should be looking up the table rather than down it, this season. The bottom two can enjoy their very own little relegation battle this season and we can be casual observers. :cheers:

• Like 1

Blues lost 3-2 to Man City in the end thank goodness, which keeps them 9 points behind us.

I think as long as we don’t lose to Blues or Leicester this season, we’ll be fine. They won’t then get the wins needed to go past us.

1 minute ago, John said:

They lost 3-2. We don't really need to worry about ending the season below them this season, we should be looking up the table rather than down it, this season. The bottom two can enjoy their very own little relegation battle this season and we can be casual observers. :cheers:

You just beat me 😊. Yes, we should be ok 👍

• Like 1

Just taken the lead against Spurs. Anyone know if it is being broadcast anywhere?

Edit: Spurs equalised from a penalty as soon as I posted that update.

It appears clips from the game are shown on twitter whilst it is in progress.

Edited by May-Z

3 minutes ago, May-Z said:

Just taken the lead against Spurs. Anyone know if it is being broadcast anywhere?

Edit: Spurs equalised from a penalty as soon as I posted that update.

It appears clips from the game are shown on twitter whilst it is in progress.

The FA Player app is showing the full game live. Just download the app from the AppStore.  You can then ‘cast’ or ‘airplay’ to your TV if your phone/TV allows that.

• Thanks 1

Whilst the team have a bunch more points than at this stage last season, they are still pretty poor really. Very leaky defence. It’s seems as though the bottom two teams are completely dreadful, thankfully, but then Villa are then worst of the rest. It started off feeling like progress was being made, but that is starting to fade away now. 

32 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Whilst the team have a bunch more points than at this stage last season, they are still pretty poor really. Very leaky defence. It’s seems as though the bottom two teams are completely dreadful, thankfully, but then Villa are then worst of the rest. It started off feeling like progress was being made, but that is starting to fade away now. 

Important not to be too harsh IMO. The reality is that this is an *extremely* unequal division, with the best sides just miles ahead of the weaker ones. We're much better than we were last season, but even so we are going to struggle to compete in most of the games.

To be fair when you look at the results this season:

Beat Leicester

Draw with West Ham

Beat Brighton

Defeat to Arsenal

Defeat to Reading

Defeat to Chelsea

Beat Small Heath

Defeat to Man City

Defeat Spurs

It's only really the Reading and Spurs games where we've had what you could call particularly disappointing results in the sense we could have realistically had expectations of maybe doing better, and even then sounds like we were unlucky today, others have either been games where we were always likely to lose, or where we've done okay.

I think what makes things seem worse than perhaps they really are is the order of fixtures, we had a relatively easy start but recently have had to play some tough games, so of course our form was going to dip, but overall we've definitely improved significantly from last season, which despite us being third bottom is beared out in the table by the fact that we're only three points behind sixth placed Man City in the table.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's an FA Competition, whereas the League Cup is an EFL competition, but essentially I think it has a similar status in women's football that the Carabao Cup has in mens' football. I'm not even sure if we can qualify for the next round now, I think it's the six group winners plus the two best runners up, so not looking good for us, but then seems we're not too bothered as have been playing weakened teams in this tournament.

Edited by useless

Playing Man Utd away today, they aren't as good as they were last season, are only five points above us and have won just one of the last five, so kind of hoping we might have an outside chance of snatching a draw, will be tough though and wouldn't really be a surprise if they beat us comfortably.

Big game today is Leicester v small heath as the way it's looking the games between those two will decide who gets relegated at the end of the season.

Â