Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Is it? Even my wife commented on it this morning. 

I’m sure there’s loads of all male teams but yes they are clearly trying to encourage diversity and inclusion. It’s a good thing. 

“Even my wife” ?? 

Mad as it sounds, to be 65 minutes in against Arsenal and only be 1-0 down is very impressive. The gulf in quality is clear as we essentially haven't been in their defensive third at all this half, but they're defending very very well. Hampton is playing like prime Martinez here.

• Like 1

Good performance against probably the top dogs. It confirmed for me even further that we have now gone from relegation candidates to a solid mid-table team. It is so satisfying to see all our Villa teams improving every year. Scoreline a bit flattering for Arsenal. Two extremely clinical finishes and best that Hampton got that mistake out of the way when the match was probably gone.

Pity about the late flurry of goals but in truth Arsenal looked a different team from the start of the second half. And another positive is that we were missing at least two of our most influential players. But like a previous poster said Arsenal look like they could give out some proper hidings this season

0-4.   Absolutely no shame in the result. We were very resolute but perhaps lacked some confidence and composure when with the ball. 

That Arsenal team though, wow. They will blow some teams away this season without breaking sweat. I wouldn’t be surprised if they score 8, 9 or 10 past someone. Seriously impressive. 

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

Since Arsenal lost their last game in February they've played eighteen in all competitions, won seventeen of those scoring seventy goals, we're the only team in that time that has got a result against them, or stopped them from scoring.

The fact that we will probably be disappointed with today's result shows how far we've come.

Reading next weekend, they're joint bottom of the table and have no points after three games, I think they're probably better than that suggests as I can't remember them being in any relegation danger last season, but should be a good chance for us to bounce back and try and get a positive result.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

For anyone interested, we’re playing Reading away this afternoon (2.00pm).

A win today will see us go 10 points ahead of Reading and most likely Birmingham City and Leicester City, who are all yet to win a point so far this season.

It’s really positive to see us continue to grow the women’s team, as a winning mentality throughout the club can only be good for our future. It may even gain us some new fans longer term if media/TV interest continues to build with the WSL.

• Thanks 1

Surprised by the result, especially being already 3-0 down at half-time, but not too surprised by the fact that we lost. Reading's start to the season has been slightly misleading as I don't think they're that bad, they finished comfortably midtable last season, and truth be told we're probably not quite as good yet as start to the season might have suggested. Main thing for us is to improve on last season, which we have done so far, but results like today are going to happen because we aren't going to suddenly go from hardly winning any games in 2020/21 to getting results against all but the very teams in division. Good news is that Leicester lost so we're still seven points above the relegation place, and we're still six points ahead of B'gham as it stands.

• Like 1

Highlights on the BBC website. They scored accidentally from a cross and banged in two good goals from distance. Keeper a bit suspect on the second.

We didn't look like causing much trouble but that explains why it looked like a first half battering.

• Thanks 1

Â