Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

13 minutes ago, Junxs said:

No, theres been an U21s tournament, Copa America and the AFCON, its all been overshadowed by womens World Cup.

Where do you draw the line? There will be individual threads on all the players before we know it.

Fair enough but it's the World Cup. Any of those other competitions when they're on in other years normally get f*** all coverage. 

I wouldn't really draw any line anywhere. If people want to discuss the women's team and individual players let them on. They play for Villa albeit the women's team. This is the Villa Talk forum, and therefore at the moment, this is where threads on the women's team and the individual players belong. If the mods want to set up a completely different set of forums (villa talk - women, other football - women) for women's football then that might be a solution for people who want to avoid it completely but at the moment this is where these threads belong. 

Until then the people who don't want to read these threads can just not open the threads I suppose.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

The cricket, well I don’t know. But I’d be surprised if such a unique game wasn’t being shown anywhere. Again, you don’t have to watch the women’s cricket, there’s an off switch.

Sorry but thats a cop out. It's like Villa fans saying Liverpool & Man u are always on and being told theres an off switch. The womens cricket was being shown ahead of the world cup game, switching it off doesnt mean the other match would magically come on.

16 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

For a long time women weren’t given the choice of whether they could play to a competitive level. Whether you like it or not, the game owes them some support.

If that support means that you or I have to click on page 2 of On Topic to try and find the thread we want to read and post in, then I can live with that.

I've alreeady said I appreciate what they do, and believe it nor not I have been watching the womens football too. I just don't think should be mixed with the mens coverage.

Make separate podcasts, make subforums, dont retweet. IE dont force it. If people are genuinely interested they can can find their way to it rather than be forced to skip over it thats all I'm saying.

12 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Sorry but thats a cop out. It's like Villa fans saying Liverpool & Man u are always on and being told theres an off switch. The womens cricket was being shown ahead of the world cup game, switching it off doesnt mean the other match would magically come on.

Who said anything about it magically coming on?

The game you wanted to watch wasn’t on sky sports. A women’s game was on instead. Your problem is with sky sports, not women’s cricket.

And yes, if a Villa fan is complaining about Man Utd or Liverpool being on, then they don’t have to watch that either. It’s really simple.

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Who said anything about it magically coming on?

The game you wanted to watch wasn’t on sky sports. A women’s game was on instead. Your problem is with sky sports, not women’s cricket.

And yes, if a Villa fan is complaining about Man Utd or Liverpool being on, then they don’t have to watch that either. It’s really simple.

You are missing the point, my problem isnt with womens sport, its the coverage. I made that clear from the start and thats what I've been moaning about

9 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I've alreeady said I appreciate what they do, and believe it nor not I have been watching the womens football too. I just don't think should be mixed with the mens coverage.

Make separate podcasts, make subforums, dont retweet. IE dont force it. If people are genuinely interested they can can find their way to it rather than be forced to skip over it thats all I'm saying.

Thank McGrath the men's footballl has never been forced down our throats. All those subscriptions to Sky just magically happened by accident. There was and never has been a concerted and targeted campaign to get people to spend their hard earned cash to subscribe to watch the men's game.

image.jpeg.c266400064b6f33406d2cf513645ec3d.jpeg

image.jpeg.2e81bbd2a9d4ca5b00e1ffc27a0440a4.jpeg

image.jpeg.ec638dd44c56591d65106e5e70800c8b.jpeg

Image result for sky sports derby day

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Thank McGrath the men's footballl has never been forced down our throats. All those subscriptions to Sky just magically happened by accident. There was and never has been a concerted and targeted campaign to get people to spend their hard earned cash to subscribe to watch the men's game.

And thats what people in their millions have paid for, now imagine you tune in to watch and they are showing womens football instead?

I don't get your point

Just now, Junxs said:

You are missing the point, my problem isnt with womens sport, its the coverage. I made that clear from the start and thats what I've been moaning about

So just ignore the threads, ignore the coverage, skip the bits of the podcasts you don’t want to listen to. It’s not difficult to avoid. 

The point about how the sport owes something to the women’s game, this is it. It owes them a bit of coverage, a bit of promoting in areas where there won’t be much interest. It’s no real hardship really. I just went on the BBC Sports app, first headline is Pakistan v Bangladesh - not interested in that, then it’s updates from Wimbledon - not interested in that either, then it’s a story about Carney retiring from England after the World Cup. Again not interested.

But am I disillusioned by this? No. I click the top right menu button, click “all sport” and then “football”. With three touches of a button I reach the news I want to read and I can see who Derby County have appointed as their new manager. Really, really easy.

I don’t know why sky didn’t choose the cricket match you wanted to watch, I find it hard to believe it wasn’t available anywhere to view. If you don’t like it, don’t watch it. They’ll get the message.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Junxs said:

And thats what people in their millions have paid for, now imagine you tune in to watch and they are showing womens football instead?

I don't get your point

My point is that the men's game has been forced down our throats for years and still is and you don't seem to have a problem with that. The advertisement and promotion is the main reason why people have paid in their millions not because of the football. 

I think you're underestimating the power of advertisement and promotion of a product which is essentially how Sky have treated football and now companies are starting to do the same with women's football. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Does anyone remember the absolutely pathetic 'Grand Slam Sunday' 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

So just ignore the threads, ignore the coverage, skip the bits of the podcasts you don’t want to listen to. It’s not difficult to avoid. 

The point about how the sport owes something to the women’s game, this is it. It owes them a bit of coverage, a bit of promoting in areas where there won’t be much interest. It’s no real hardship really. I just went on the BBC Sports app, first headline is Pakistan v Bangladesh - not interested in that, then it’s updates from Wimbledon - not interested in that either, then it’s a story about Carney retiring from England after the World Cup. Again not interested.

But am I disillusioned by this? No. I click the top right menu button, click “all sport” and then “football”. With three touches of a button I reach the news I want to read and I can see who Derby County have appointed as their new manager. Really, really easy.

I don’t know why sky didn’t choose the cricket match you wanted to watch, I find it hard to believe it wasn’t available anywhere to view. If you don’t like it, don’t watch it. They’ll get the message.

We are going around in circles

If I want to listen to womens football podcast I should be able to find a special podcast for it. If I'm listening to a football podcast whilst trying to sleep and they start talking about womens football I shouldn't have to sit up, open the ipad, go to podcasts and forward god knows how many minutes until they move on (whilst getting elbowed by the mrs) all while I'm feeling sleepy.

We are not going to agree so I'll leave it there

3 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

My point is that the men's game has been forced down our throats for years and still is and you don't seem to have a problem with that. The advertisement and promotion is the main reason why people have paid in their millions not because of the football. 

I think you're underestimating the power of advertisement and promotion of a product which is essentially how Sky have treated football and now companies are starting to do the same with women's football. 

There has to be an interest to begin with, advertising doesnt work with me and I feel sorry for those who get pressured into buying something they have no interest in.

People buy the mens football because they want to watch it. Say if womens football was on a different platform you think an advertising campaihn could draw in the same numbers?

Because thats what happened with the mens football - sky was a new platform and people joined in their millions to watch mens football.. not so much because of the advertising but because people wanted to watch it

I imagine this thread will get very little attention once the season is underway because we’ll all be too busy moaning about the men’s team. It should, however, be situated on this board because it’s about Aston Villa. The youth team have a thread on this forum and rightly so; the same should apply to the women’s team. 

We’re a long way off having threads about individual players, so I don’t know why that’s even a concern. Once that happens, and there’s enough interest for it, the women’s team will probably have their own sub forum so that this board doesn’t get overly cluttered. 

Personally, I’ll definitely get more involved in the next women’s World Cup as it fills a nice gap of football over the summer. I doubt I’ll really get involved at club level purely because the men’s game will take up all of my interest and involvement. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

I imagine this thread will get very little attention once the season is underway because we’ll all be too busy moaning about the men’s team. It should, however, be situated on this board because it’s about Aston Villa. The youth team have a thread on this forum and rightly so; the same should apply to the women’s team. 

Jack Grealish, Gabby Agbonlahor played for the youth teams and progressed through to the full team, thats why the youth teams are relevant.

Jodie Hutton & Amy West wont ever progress to play for Aston Villa, only Aston Villa Women.

5 minutes ago, Junxs said:

There has to be an interest to begin with, advertising doesnt work with me and I feel sorry for those who get pressured into buying something they have no interest in.

People buy the mens football because they want to watch it. Say if womens football was on a different platform you think an advertising campaihn could draw in the same numbers?

Because thats what happened with the mens football - sky was a new platform and people joined in their millions to watch mens football.. not so much because of the advertising but because people wanted to watch it

It probably wouldn't generate the same numbers but it's starting from a much lower base for reasons which are pretty well known and these reasons are also not exclusive to football. It's the same in the workplace for example.

If it had the same starting point then I believe that it would have drawn in similar numbers coupled with the promotion of the sport.

Â