Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

9 hours ago, choffer said:

That moment when he feinted and sold it to the Hibs player who did a cartwheel past him was beautiful.

Edit - It's not quite as devastating as I remember it but it's still pretty good - at the end of this clip:

What’s clear for me is any side that gives Doug that space is getting destroyed. You can’t give him that time to pick his passes or he just picks you off but then he is that good that you press him he shows for it plays a little lay off and we are through the press. Really impressive player and some of this one twos with mcginn and kamara were disgustingly filthy

• Like 2

I will gladly admit to having been completely proved wrong about him.

In the latter stages of the Smith reign I doubted his long term future here as I didn’t think he functioned well in a midfield alongside McGinn- I still don’t think he has got quite enough energy to play single pivot.

But in emery’s system he’s been truly spectacular so fair play to him 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I am very suprised citeh havent tried getting luiz back tbh

As they lookinh for a cm

I love Luiz but this is another example of our supporters not appreciating the levels city’s players are at.  Luiz is quality, Rodi is on another level. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

45 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I love Luiz but this is another example of our supporters not appreciating the levels city’s players are at.  Luiz is quality, Rodi is on another level. 

He is, Rodri is unbelievable, but I don't think Dougie's that far off him judging by his form of the last few months.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He is, Rodri is unbelievable, but I don't think Dougie's that far off him judging by his form of the last few months.

I love Dougie, have done since day one. I just think he is too important to us so if they came in for him they would have to pay stupid money for him which is why we don’t have to worry. He signed a new contract because he wants to be here. There is no release clause. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I love Dougie, have done since day one. I just think he is too important to us so if they came in for him they would have to pay stupid money for him which is why we don’t have to worry. He signed a new contract because he wants to be here. There is no release clause. 

Not saying they'd get him, just comparing him to Rodri. But you can't say there isn't a release clause unless you have inside info.

14 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

With the vast improvement in sports science, technical coaching and professionalism in the modern game, it's pretty unlikely many of earlier era players would get anywhere near the PL. Back in the day George Best was considered a great technical player, but if you watch clips of him vs foden or sterling you will clearly see that they are light years ahead of him in that regard. He also wouldn't have been able to match the athleticism required for the league, given his drinking issues and lifestyle. 

It depends how you are going to look at it. 

The best players in any era are the top 1% of players available at any given time. They would likely still stand out if they were brought up in any other era as ‘the cream rises to the top’ so to speak.

However, if you are just going to take a player from one era and plonk them in another, then you’re going to have trouble getting a fair comparison because of all the extra money and science that goes into producing the current players compared with earlier times when it was virtually a ‘semiprofessional’ sport.

It’s a bit like comparing a professional sport to an amateur one or even a ‘clean’ player to one who has been doping etc etc. 

• Like 1

Always felt he was a quality player.

The blips have been down to being utilised in the wrong position or the wrong formation. Being dropped for no reason by Gerrard. Being given a defensive role that asked nothing of his creativity or ability on the ball.

He does need someone on his wavelength and with more defensive characteristics alongside him, something we didn't really have until Kamara came and then the clown refused to use then together except on rare occasions when they both looked excellent.

Prior to that it just about worked alongside Nakamba, but he wasn't on the same wavelength and anyone else we had was too offensive.

Play him in the right position,  alongside the right type of players, and he shines.

Â