Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

19 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Think it’s actually different people saying these things. A lot of us have rated him all along. I never even thought he was a problem at DM tbh.

Agreed. And I think in a 4-2-3-1 with Kamara he’d look class.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well it's why it's so annoying playing one or the other.

When both in a Double Pivot is so blatantly our best option.

I've been saying since the get go that Kamara needs help.

He is definitely the more defensively capable of the two though.

Agree, I don’t think Dougie is a defensive master (although he had some great games defensively in a 4-1-4-1 when we survived relegation), but he’s more than capable of playing in a double pivot. And he has got physically stronger over the time he’s been here.

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Nah more like:

Bailey becomes better than Coutinho

Chambers becomes better than Konsa

Dougie becomes better than McGinn

On current form and options wise.

Yep, and while Bailey being better than Coutinho is pretty debatable, I think Chambers and Dougie should clearly be starting ahead of Konsa and McGinn. Every single time they play they look better than the players keeping them out.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Yep, and while Bailey being better than Coutinho is pretty debatable, I think Chambers and Dougie should clearly be starting ahead of Konsa and McGinn. Every single time they play they look better than the players keeping them out.

Yeah bit in bold is why I had to go back and edit, to add based on " form " maybe 

Overall I don't necessarily believe that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

When Kamara and Luiz plays together they both looks better then when they are alone. In other words if we can get the midfield sorted, a lot of players would look a lot better than they do at the moment. The defence would look better since they will get some protection from the midfield, now the opposition go straight through like there aren’t a midfield. The attack would look better because we would contain the ball better, now we just go long and the opposition wins the ball back.

Many suddenly raving about him now he's not playing, but he will stay, and guess what? As soon as he gets a run of games it won't be long before it's being declared that he's not good enough, or that we need better if we're to get to the next level, I can confidently predict this because it happens to all our midfieders unless they look like world beaters, in fact it's already happened with Luiz in his time at the club.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Or alternatively, Gerrard actually rates Dougie but hasn’t been playing him because he thought he was off, and now the hierarchy have seen the error of their ways?

It’s all very odd. Why would Gerrard say that? Or maybe just him not realising how they would be received.

I’m truly baffled as to what’s going on at this club at the moment. Gerrard is a big part of the problem (the main problem I think), but not the only problem. It’s lost that sense of being a well oiled machine with everyone working together.

I think this is quite likely. Particularly in relation to why he didn’t start him last night after he and Kamara did pretty well together against West Ham. I think club wanted the money for him but hopefully realise, with no decent replacement in sight, it would be a fatal error.

The board should be taking a lot of responsibility of how badly this window has gone. Gerrard is a calamity but we should have strengthened significantly.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mantis said:

I would love to know what Gerrard has against him.

He understands how playing in midfield works. Something Gerrard never understood as a player and still can’t get his head around. Therefore, he thinks Luiz is some kind of witch. 

42 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I think this is quite likely. Particularly in relation to why he didn’t start him last night after he and Kamara did pretty well together against West Ham. I think club wanted the money for him but hopefully realise, with no decent replacement in sight, it would be a fatal error.

The board should be taking a lot of responsibility of how badly this window has gone. Gerrard is a calamity but we should have strengthened significantly.

Not sure it is likely. Wouldn't explain taking him off VS West Ham. I genuinely think he has no idea how to set up a coherent midfield.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah bit in bold is why I had to go back and edit, to add based on " form " maybe 

Overall I don't necessarily believe that.

Peak Coutinho is without a doubt better. I think the speed at which the game is played now means that Coutinho is very much a luxury player and struggles with the physicality (not big and strong, just crazily fit and fast players) of the modern game. I thought that he might be able to get up to speed with time but he looks to be struggling a lot. Bailey on the other hand has wicked pace which allows him to cope with the demands of the modern game more easily than Coutinho does.

Having said this, I think that Coutinho could work in a system like a 4-2-3-1. This system really highlights his limitations. 

Seems like he won't be sold today. So that points to no new midfielders joining. Also means he leaves for free next summer. Basically the worst position for the club. No new CMs and losing Luiz for a free in under a year

I wish we could sign him to a new contract and put in a £20m release clause so he gets a pay bump and he can still leave next summer for a reasonable fee

5 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

If he goes today it’ll be like Digne joining us and rafa leaving soon after. It’ll be deflating 

I know what you’re saying, but not quite. Digne had just signed a new 5 year deal on 160 bags a week at Everton; they’ve had our pants down in hindsight getting us to take that on. As soon as we touch anything French, we go to shit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Seems like he won't be sold today. So that points to no new midfielders joining. Also means he leaves for free next summer. Basically the worst position for the club. No new CMs and losing Luiz for a free in under a year

I wish we could sign him to a new contract and put in a £20m release clause so he gets a pay bump and he can still leave next summer for a reasonable fee

A new manager who plays him correctly could easily change his mind imo

• Like 1

7 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Me too. The most 2 footed player in the team. Has a great first touch, turns well when receiving the ball, great passing range. Unfortunately for him though he has had the same problem that is now on Kamara's shoulders. No support and generally overrun in the middle by opposing midfields. We've never seen the best of Dougie because we've never backed him on the pitch or given him the support he should have had in midfield. 

I'm actually quite pissed off how we've treated the kid tbh. At 24 yrs old he has been a most consistent midfielder since he arrived, and has been treated imo like some second rate player, just because he doesn't throw his weight around like a clogger. You know....like McGinn. 

There was one incident in yesterday's game when Villa attempted to play the ball out of defence. McGinn received it , turned and immediately hit a long pass to an Arsenal player. Luiz would have turned looked around and picked a pass, retaining possession. It might be short pass a long pass, but he invariably finds a teammate. McGinn and JJ lose possession too often. Yesterday we resorted to Mings hoofing it, far too often because without Luiz we are unable to pass through teams. If he goes it is going to be a long winter.

Â