Matt Targett

villan-scott

11 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The fact that we upgraded our left back and sold you the one we don't want in the first team won't change though.

That's why I think this is a decent deal for Newcastle and Villa - we've also upgraded our left back position, and you've got rid of a player you didn't want. Targett for us was unspectacular but solid. I think that will do us for next season. We have more important positions to improve.

22 minutes ago, OzyBoy said:

I've got no actual evidence for this but rumour locally is the loan fee was far below £5M. This seems a decent deal for both Newcastle and Villa.

That's because it is. £3m Loan fee and £12m more to make permanent. Works for both NUFC and AVFC

If Newcastle have genuine aspirations to break in to the top 4 then player like Targett aren’t the answer. But I guess they are building slower than people thought they might.  Im glad they aren’t aiming higher with their signings. 

Good Luck to him whatever he goes for. He did well for us and part of the team that kept us up.

As I said before it’s not my money. I’m an Aston Villa fan, not their accountant.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Can't believe no one has yet mentioned that he is 27 in September which in VT parlance is actually 30 so in real life he's essentially worthless.  This is now the deal of the century.

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

That's because it is. £3m Loan fee and £12m more to make permanent. Works for both NUFC and AVFC

Completely agree.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Botman isn’t going to you though, he’s going elsewhere isn’t he!

Yeah, but Sean Longstaff's contract was extended for 3 years. Throw in Chris Wood and you can't underestimate the squad depth being built in Newcastle 🤣

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

People are struggling to comprehend that Newcastle United and PIF are different entities. NSWE are worth billions but Villa does not have billions to spend. It isn't that difficult a concept to understand

Newcastle have a ton of wiggle room in FFP it's not a hard concept. And yes it's booked as profit in the current accounting year.

We should be looking to push them for 20m. Nobody is saying 50m. Just like Bournemouth did with us we should squeeze them.

9 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The fact that we upgraded our left back and sold you the one we don't want in the first team won't change though.

So what. Gerrard wants the full backs to be ultra attacking which only teams with Wings backs play or Liverpool. 

Targett is an excellent defender and decent overlapping a wide forward. He suits a 4 3 3 system with wide forwards. The system we switched to meant he no longer fit here. 

I'd say Targett is probably a better defender than Digne, while Digne is a far better attacker. 

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

People are struggling to comprehend that Newcastle United and PIF are different entities. NSWE are worth billions but Villa does not have billions to spend. It isn't that difficult a concept to understand

No one is struggling to comprehend anything, it's very simple concepts we're talking about here. Newcastle have £100s of millions extra wiggle room than us in FFP. They can also be over sponsored by state companies, something we can't.

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Botman isn’t going to you though, he’s going elsewhere isn’t he!

Who knows yet! But that's the level of player we're aspiring to, and compromising in other positions (like LB).

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

Newcastle have a ton of wiggle room in FFP it's not a hard concept. And yes it's booked as profit in the current accounting year.

We should be looking to push them for 20m. Nobody is saying 50m. Just like Bournemouth did with us we should squeeze them.

I didn't say they don't have a lots of wiggle room with FFP, but they do not have billions nor unlimited funds, which is what some people suggest they have

Matt Targett is a good defensive "full back", but he doesn't have anywhere near the pace to be the sharp attacking "wing back" that Gerrard needs for the way he sets Villa up. That's the reason he was replaced by Digne. 

12/15 million is a good price for a player that doesn't fit our system.

All the best Matt.

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

Yeah, but Sean Longstaff's contract was extended for 3 years. Throw in Chris Wood and you can't underestimate the squad depth being built in Newcastle 🤣

Yeah s far feels very underwhelming.  We get Coutinho, Digne, Chambers, Kamara and Carlos…some real quality and they get meh players like Targett, Burn, Trippier, Woods etc and only Bruno as pure quality.  

They did well at the end of the season to over take us in the league but so far, and yes it’s early days, but signing Targett and a 19 kid Ekitike doesn’t have the excitement factor or quality.

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I didn't say they don't have a lots of wiggle room with FFP, but they do not have billions nor unlimited funds, which is what some people suggest they have

They do have billions same way as we do, it's security. That's why we dropped £100m in the summer of 2019 (on players most of which are worth of fraction of that now) to rapidly progress the club whilst other teams didn't  - because our fail safe was we have  billions.

6 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

And then they walk away? Like we had to with Ward Prowse? And regarding your “seen it all before with Lerner” comments this regime is nothing like that one not even remotely close.

17 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I'd say Targett is probably a better defender than Digne, while Digne is a far better attacker. 

In the last couple of months of the season, once he returned from injury, Digne was excellent at both.

Edited by WallisFrizz
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah s far feels very underwhelming.  We get Coutinho, Digne, Chambers, Kamara and Carlos…some real quality and they get meh players like Targett, Burn, Trippier, Woods etc and only Bruno as pure quality.  

They did well at the end of the season to over take us in the league but so far, and yes it’s early days, but signing Targett and a 19 kid Ekitike doesn’t have the excitement factor or quality.

Also, there is the post Bruce effect. Too many people think Eddie Howe is a genius for what he did with Newcastle and they expect this to continue. However, Toon had 3 years of Bruce playing Bruceball, If I became their manager I would have improved them, plus they spent a truck load of money in Jan. Improvement next season will be much much more difficult

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

And then they walk away? Like we had to with Ward Prowse? And regarding your “seen it all before with Lerner” comments this regime is nothing like that one not even remotely close.

That's the game, you get that reputation like Liverpool and Spurs did. They took a few hits but generally now, you want one of their players - you will have to pay above and beyond

Â